Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1987 Malibu Skier - Parts Source Recommendation

kkosche

I have a 1987 Malibu Skier and would appreciate it if any of you experts out there have a recommendation on where to buy the following:

1. Side molding (the two piece plastic channel, black) that runs around the perimeter of the boat. I have a 2' broken piece and I need to splice some in for repair.

2. Is it possible to buy bow light lens? Mine is cracked. . . or do I need to purchase an entire unite (after market) and replace the entire unit?

3. Malibu branded trailer guide on canvas covers. Mine measure ~3.5" in diameter and 36" long. I can stitch up a new pair, but if there is someone who sells these for a reasonable price, that would be better.

4. My horn button doesn't work (no continuity when pressed). Overtons, DIM? Or is there a better source for a marine push button, horn switch.

5. The blower on this boat is very noisy. My guess is that it is bearing squeal. I haven't taken it out to examine it, does anyone know if it is possible to oil the bearings / seals on the blower motor, or is it more of a completely sealed (read: go buy another one) type of deal.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

k

Lake Stevens, WA 98258

I have a 1987 Malibu Skier and would appreciate it if any of you experts out there have a recommendation on where to buy the following:

1. Side molding (the two piece plastic channel, black) that runs around the perimeter of the boat. I have a 2' broken piece and I need to splice some in for repair. Search "Rub Rail" and you will see a bunch of threads where people have replaced theirs...

2. Is it possible to buy bow light lens? Mine is cracked. . . or do I need to purchase an entire unite (after market) and replace the entire unit? I would call Malibu direct, but when I replace mine I'm gonna get a sweet stainless pop up one

3. Malibu branded trailer guide on canvas covers. Mine measure ~3.5" in diameter and 36" long. I can stitch up a new pair, but if there is someone who sells these for a reasonable price, that would be better. Bakes Marine sells them online

4. My horn button doesn't work (no continuity when pressed). Overtons, DIM? Or is there a better source for a marine push button, horn switch. Either of those vendors should have one.

5. The blower on this boat is very noisy. My guess is that it is bearing squeal. I haven't taken it out to examine it, does anyone know if it is possible to oil the bearings / seals on the blower motor, or is it more of a completely sealed (read: go buy another one) type of deal. Get a new one, they are pretty cheap and super easy to install. Check your hose while your in there.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

k

Lake Stevens, WA 98258

Good luck, throw up a pic of your skier, us members of the square windshield club love to see old Skiers!! :crazy:

1) this might be a helpful thread.

2) Prob. easiest to just replace it.

3) Any of these guide pads look right?

4) I'd pull the orig. switch out and take it to a electronics supply house (something better than a radio shack) and try to match up a new one.

5) Time to replace it. They're cheap.

1) this might be a helpful thread.

2) Prob. easiest to just replace it.

3) Any of these guide pads look right?

4) I'd pull the orig. switch out and take it to a electronics supply house (something better than a radio shack) and try to match up a new one.

5) Time to replace it. They're cheap.

Thanks to both of you. The 36" guide on cover looks correct, but they are out of stock / manufacturing. So looks like a wait there. I'll order the blower and switch. Printed some of the pictures from the rub rail thread so I can compare what I have to the pictures . . when I am back at the boat tomorrow.

Looks like your questions have already been answered! Welcome to the Crew! Thumbup.gif

Thank you for the warm welcome. After the first wave of general cleaning and inventory (the '87 has a cracked / frozen block) . . . the more I like the boats size and layout. I also have a 1974 Ski Nautique that I went through about 7 years ago. . . if the pull behind the Malibu is as good as the Nautique . . I think the Nautique might be the one to get sold. Thanks again.

Thank you for the warm welcome. After the first wave of general cleaning and inventory (the '87 has a cracked / frozen block) . . . the more I like the boats size and layout. I also have a 1974 Ski Nautique that I went through about 7 years ago. . . if the pull behind the Malibu is as good as the Nautique . . I think the Nautique might be the one to get sold. Thanks again.

It is a very fun boat. I loved mine. Your right the size is awesome and it makes it a really fun boat to drive. It handles like a Ferrari on the water and skiis excellent. Bummer about the cracked block. Did you replace it with a full longblock? I assume the previous owner didn't do so good on the winterization routine.

It is a very fun boat. I loved mine. Your right the size is awesome and it makes it a really fun boat to drive. It handles like a Ferrari on the water and skiis excellent. Bummer about the cracked block. Did you replace it with a full longblock? I assume the previous owner didn't do so good on the winterization routine.

I am in the process. Plan to order the motor in the next week or so. Preparing to pull old one now. The boat was well cared for by its first owner, up until the time it was sold to the second owner, about two years ago. It was neglected pretty bad for the past two years. Most of the color looks like it will come back, interior a couple cushions are being reupholstered, Stringers and floor are rock solid and I plan on going with a 350 marine long block w/roller cam for the replacement. Should be a very nice boat once I am done. Goal is to keep the total invest (not counting my time, of course) to $4500. We shall see. Hoping the '74 is worth the $4500 so it would be an even trade up, if that is the way I decide to go. The trailer on the Malibu is nicer and has surge breaks . . . which is a nice addition. I assume a clean '87 w/new motor w/warranty is worth somewhere around $6-7K or so. . . if so, I will have the opportunity to make about $5 per hour for my time. ;) But hey . . . a hobby that is neutral to the family budget, is not a bad hobby. . . wait a second . . . I got $7K in the Nautique . . . and am talking about getting $4-5K out of it . . . oh well!

I am in the process. Plan to order the motor in the next week or so. Preparing to pull old one now. The boat was well cared for by its first owner, up until the time it was sold to the second owner, about two years ago. It was neglected pretty bad for the past two years. Most of the color looks like it will come back, interior a couple cushions are being reupholstered, Stringers and floor are rock solid and I plan on going with a 350 marine long block w/roller cam for the replacement. Should be a very nice boat once I am done. Goal is to keep the total invest (not counting my time, of course) to $4500. We shall see. Hoping the '74 is worth the $4500 so it would be an even trade up, if that is the way I decide to go. The trailer on the Malibu is nicer and has surge breaks . . . which is a nice addition. I assume a clean '87 w/new motor w/warranty is worth somewhere around $6-7K or so. . . if so, I will have the opportunity to make about $5 per hour for my time. ;) But hey . . . a hobby that is neutral to the family budget, is not a bad hobby. . . wait a second . . . I got $7K in the Nautique . . . and am talking about getting $4-5K out of it . . . oh well!

That would be an awesome upgrade. No one ever said boating was an investment :biggrin: You will love your skier, they are great classic Malibu's I can't say anything bad about mine.

What do you mainly use yours for? Skiing wakeboarding??

That would be an awesome upgrade. No one ever said boating was an investment :biggrin: You will love your skier, they are great classic Malibu's I can't say anything bad about mine.

What do you mainly use yours for? Skiing wakeboarding??

I am fortunate to live on a lake, so the Nautique sits on a Sunstream lift in the back yard. Every morning we that schedules, weather, etc allow a friend of mine on the other end of the lake and I open water sking . . . rest is pulling kids on tubes, my daughter on two skis, occasional wake skate and just parking in the middle of the lake and swimming off the boat. Even with a lot of action with the boat, it is rare for me to get over 20 hours a year . . . as the time is spent pulling, not getting somewhere to pull.

I am fortunate to live on a lake, so the Nautique sits on a Sunstream lift in the back yard. Every morning we that schedules, weather, etc allow a friend of mine on the other end of the lake and I open water sking . . . rest is pulling kids on tubes, my daughter on two skis, occasional wake skate and just parking in the middle of the lake and swimming off the boat. Even with a lot of action with the boat, it is rare for me to get over 20 hours a year . . . as the time is spent pulling, not getting somewhere to pull.

That's awesome, like I said before. You will love you Malibu, and this site is just another reason to keep it! So much info in one place. Plus everyone is very helpfull.

:werule:

Good deal. Sounds like a plan. Yeah I certainly work on the boat a lot and I don't think I will ever see a dime for my time (heck I pay to work on it!). Instead I get a lot of fun and enjoyment back from a boat that is well cared for. Your Skier sounds like a perfect candidate for a new long black of the stringers are still solid and the gel and interior are in good shape. You will certainly enjoy skiing behind it. I loved mine. Clap.gif

1987 Malibu Skier. Black Molding / Rub Strip.

Ok. . back to my #1 question above - Rub Molding / Strip. I committed myself tonight and cut out the cracked section (about 30" in length). Insert is still fine, need base molding. Hoping to find enough of it new or used and NOT replace the entire deal. Hoping to go to West Marine to try my luck tomorrow. Any additional ideas? Any of you folks got some used stuff just sitting there waiting for me to ask. Image can be viewed by clicking the below URL.

http://www.myimagespace.com/public/view/full/4521

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd close out this thread with what I did to solve my problem of 26" of crushed rub rail.

1" high, 5/8" Deep, Slot that rubber insert fits in is 5/8" high.

Malibu no longer manufactured, couldn't find in salvage. Didn't want to pay for a full set of rub rails.

So . . . found an aluminum replacement piece that was very close to the original plastic. Ordered from West Marine. Specific item was: Aluminum Rub Rail - Style #6, 1"H ($70 shipped).

After 10 weeks of drama (someone else picked up my prepaid order, manufacturer no longer carries, found a bent unit on west coast, etc etc.) I got a 12' long piece of this aluminum rail, of which I cut, formed, filed, drilled to match my boat, primed, painted, riveted and then using a heat gun and a putty knife, pressed the rubber insert into the rail. Once the shiny new black paint fades a bit, I think it will look more natural than some of the factory joints elsewhere on the boat.

Pictures attached.

15eahib.jpg

ej6k5s.jpg

2popit1.jpg

what does your bow light i have a nice one off a 83 supra rider that i had rebuilt it may be the same as your bow light if your trying to keep the look of you boat the same it may work im sure there weren't that many different company that made bow lights back then

ken

Thanks to both of you. The 36" guide on cover looks correct, but they are out of stock / manufacturing. So looks like a wait there. I'll order the blower and switch. Printed some of the pictures from the rub rail thread so I can compare what I have to the pictures . . when I am back at the boat tomorrow.

I know this is a old post but we have the guide pads in stock and we're local to you if you want to pick them up in store and save on frieght.

Here are the pads we stock.

Good luck with the project, majority of the old parts are not available from Malibu but you can usually source something similar.

-Paul

what does your bow light i have a nice one off a 83 supra rider that i had rebuilt it may be the same as your bow light if your trying to keep the look of you boat the same it may work im sure there weren't that many different company that made bow lights back then

ken

I ended up ordering one that is part chrome, part flat black. Replaced entire unit.

I know this is a old post but we have the guide pads in stock and we're local to you if you want to pick them up in store and save on frieght.

Here are the pads we stock.

Good luck with the project, majority of the old parts are not available from Malibu but you can usually source something similar.

-Paul

Thanks Paul. I'll keep the bookmark. Might try stitching some up with some extra fabric I have . . . . My guess is that I am a better behind a wrench / welder than a sewing machine.

• 2 years later...

i also have a 1987 mailbuu skier, however i dont use mine for skiing, we have taken all the ski stuff off, they are as close to a old chris craft as you cant get i like inboards, hate i/0s and outboards, but im a old fart,( almost 60) you will be here too some day, faster than you think, like the malibu skier becaue it is a simple boat, cept fo r the damn raw water pump, replaced the housing today and the impellar, removed the raw water intake hose and put a hose in it and turned it on, sucker squealed and fried the impellar, why? other than that, i havent had any problems over the years with the malibu, we boat out here on t he calif delta,been thinking about putting a blower on it lol.be something different,