Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why can't I Fish

Kellyb

Hi my name is Nicholas. I am eight years old. My dad says we can't fish from our boat. He says skiboats are for skiing not fishing and that we don't own a tige. I like to ski, wakeboard and kneeboard but would like to fish. I also like to play soccer, baseball and basketball. I have two sisters and a brother that are all seven years old. He says if we want to fish he can drop us off at shore and will pick us up when we wave. Is it really bad luck to fish from a Malibu ski boat like my dad says? I put a picture of me wakeboarding. Thank you for your help.

Nicholas Black

post-100-128361013818_thumb.jpg

Hi my name is Nicholas. I am eight years old. My dad says we can't fish from our boat. He says skiboats are for skiing not fishing and that we don't own a tige. I like to ski, wakeboard and kneeboard but would like to fish. I also like to play soccer, baseball and basketball. I have two sisters and a brother that are all seven years old. He says if we want to fish he can drop us off at shore and will pick us up when we wave. Is it really bad luck to fish from a Malibu ski boat like my dad says? I put a picture of me wakeboarding. Thank you for your help.

Nicholas Black

tell your dad he is nuts, a malibu is a great boat and is perfectly capable of towing a little dingy for you to fish out of...

really, if your "dad" is worried tell him you will sit on the back of the boat and release the fish from the swim grid, lay some towels out and all will be good. Fishing is fun and there is no reason you should be denied that pleasure, your dads Malibu is no Tige when it comes to fishing but don't let that slow you down.

Nicholas Black

My younger son is just like you and just like your Dad I don't let him fish off our boat because we always have people with us that are not interested in fishing. I'm not an avid fisherman and I catch and release, if I catch something I have to clean it and eat it. It wouldn't feel right to me having people wait for my son to throw out his line and just sit there and wait. I take him fishing to reservoirs off the shore all the time but he also has friends in school who's dad's are much more into fishing than me and he goes with them all the time. I would suggest you find some friends or family that like to go and hang with them, I think your Dad just doesn't feel like fishing when he is on his boat. Just think, as you get older start saving for your own fishing boat and then invite your dad to go with you, then tell him "only fishing off this boat dad, no skiing" :lol:

My Dad and I fish from my Malibu. Strap a cooler to the swim platform as a live well and keep a wet rag in the bait cooler to clean your hands. Be careful not to snag the vinyl and youre' good to go. Done it 5 or 6 times this year and no issues.

Sorry Nicholas, no fishing from my Malibu either.

If my boy wants to fish, he can drop a line back at the marina. They have

one boat slip empty and roped off, with an automatic fish feeder, and some

underwater brush (old Christmas trees) anchored beneath. They even have an

underwater light. He can fish all night if he likes.

Edited by srab

No fishing from our Malibu either. We use our kayak for fishing or I go with a friend on a fishing boat. The ski boat layout isn't exactly good for casting and fishing especially with the wakeboard tower. The vinyl interior isn't exactly hook friendly either.

My cousin is into fishing and their buddy has a fishing boat. They are out together a lot and the kids jump on whatever boat does the sport they are in the mood for. If they want towed, they hop on the Malibu, if they want to fish they hop on the bass boat.

Do you have access to a kayak/canoe or a friend with a fishing boat?

1) Nicholas, you have amazing grammar! Better than many of my friends & coworkers. I am impressed.

2) I can't believe people are so uptight about their rigs that they wouldn't let kids that want to fish at least do so from the platform. Lighten up, it's just a boat!!

1) Nicholas, you have amazing grammar! Better than many of my friends & coworkers. I am impressed.

2) I can't believe people are so uptight about their rigs that they wouldn't let kids that want to fish at least do so from the platform. Lighten up, it's just a boat!!

#2 pretty much what i was thinking. :lol:

Edited by apwrx

I have a fishing boat also and never use it. To be honest when we are done riding on the river we fish off my wake boat and a buddies Malibu. A couple buddies fish on the swim step and I fish from the bow. My little boy is too young to fish by himself but he has fun when his dad and buddies catch fish and let him reel them in. The smile on his face is worth the extra effort to clean up the boat. Mom is the one does not like fishing in our boat but after a mom drink she is okay with it.

tell your dad he is nuts, a malibu is a great boat and is perfectly capable of towing a little dingy for you to fish out of...

really, if your "dad" is worried tell him you will sit on the back of the boat and release the fish from the swim grid, lay some towels out and all will be good. Fishing is fun and there is no reason you should be denied that pleasure, your dads Malibu is no Tige when it comes to fishing but don't let that slow you down.

Swim Grid? Is that Canadian for swim step or swim platform?:dontknow:

Edited by MalibuTime

I don't fish from the Bu but it is gennerally because I couldn't catch a fish in a barrel. Drop a line durning a swim break or lunch or dinner. Maybe dad needs a "Mom Drink" to make him feel better about the fishin from the Bu thing.

And by the way your Dad's Bu' is better than any Tige any day.

REW

For starters I think it is awesome that you come here to seek the answer. While I would not let my son fish from our bu I have shown him how to find creative solutions to his problems.I asked him what he thought about your situation and heres what he came up with. Ask your dad if he will take you tubbing and promise to just idle. Then you can fish from the tube. technically your not in the boat! You get to fish and dad keeps his boat clean. Everybody wins. Let us know what you come up with.

Swim Grid? Is that Canadian for swim step or swim platform?:dontknow:

:dontknow: either...although it might be. did a google search and it was only canadians that used that term either in a forum or describing their swim grid...a canadian boat manufacturer uses that term on their website.

Nicholas if your ever in Ohio I'll take ya fishing with my son. Ya see I have a Sportster (good for all sports) and it handles anything I throw at it, including a little fish slime or worm dirt.

Thanks for the replies. My dad says I fish can but me and the triplets at same time is too much.

Nicholas

Trace - Thank you I work very hard in school.

PS - Nicholas wrote and typed this.

Kelly

Edited by Kellyb

My kids arn't allowed to fish from my 'bu either and they are both adults. I tell them to fish from one of the following:

The end of the dock

The 9' kayak

The 11' kayak

The 12' rowboat

The 14' rowboat

The pontoon boat

or if they want Salmon, Steelhead, or Lake Trout go to Lake Michigan with

The 22' Crestliner

(Thus the name----Boatman)

I take a our ski boat all the time, take it to the lake, sit on swim step with feet in the water and let the kids fish, we just throw them right back in the water so no harm no foul.

Dang...come on guys. Its a BOAT. If the kid wants to fish, let him. Now Im not talking a half hour drive through flooded timber to get to the best fishing spot, but for just wetting a line??? Sure fire way to get the kids to hate going to the lake, is to only do what the adults want to do.

By the way, PB&J sandwiches are a staple in the boat along with Cheetos and chocolate chip cookies. Oh, this year we got a puppy and she is usually in the boat too. Yes, you all can pray for me. But the way I see it, the boat is there for the family's enjoyment, not to become a museum peice.

Dang...come on guys. Its a BOAT. If the kid wants to fish, let him. Now Im not talking a half hour drive through flooded timber to get to the best fishing spot, but for just wetting a line??? Sure fire way to get the kids to hate going to the lake, is to only do what the adults want to do.

By the way, PB&J sandwiches are a staple in the boat along with Cheetos and chocolate chip cookies. Oh, this year we got a puppy and she is usually in the boat too. Yes, you all can pray for me. But the way I see it, the boat is there for the family's enjoyment, not to become a museum peice.

AMEN BROTHER!!!! :rockon: