Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dripless drive shaft packing

Looking for any advice/ thoughts on what brand to buy. The packing on my boat has started to leak bad after multiple times of adjusting the packing nuts over the past three seasons. I dock the boat at my house ( will be on a lift next season) but have got annoyed with water always in the bilge. I did some reading on the oj and pss drip less packings both seem like good products. Pro and cons to either brand??? Any advice would be great!!!!!

They are both good products, but are also a pretty major project to install - typically requiring pulling of the rudder, prop & shaft. Edit - see OJ installation step at FifteenOff

You could also look into Gore packing material & get nearly dripless - dripless at rest for sure with much less work & cost.

Edited by wienrdog

You could also look into Gore packing material & get nearly dripless - dripless at rest for sure with much less work & cost.

I have Gore in my 2000 Response and it is great stuff!! With the problem that I had with my dripless system in my 2009 VLX, I don't think I would spend the money on it again. It fused to the prop shaft and ruined a week at Lake Powell this summer, if it wasn't covered under warranty I would have had the regular system put in.

Terry