Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Strange Humming sound

Took the boat out today and found that I have a strange humming sound coming from the boat when I put the boat in gear. Seams to be coming from the back of the engine, near the transmission. Seems to happen when the boat is either at a stop or near stop and I put it in gear. Does not seem to happen, or at least can't hear it if the boat is moving. Any ideas what it could be or how I begin to diagnose what it is.

Appreciate any help.

So I did a search on the damper plate. Sounds like the warning signs are more of a clunking type noise than a humming/whining type noise. Any way to determine for sure if that is the problem? Closest Malibu dealer is 2 1/2 hours away. Not sure I trust the local Mastercraft dealer to look at it.

Could Be your Prop.. Have you changed it lately?

The funny this is that I changed it yesterday and then started hearing the noise. The prop has just been repaired. Seems to vibrate a little more than the one it replaced. How would a new prop make the noise?

The funny this is that I changed it yesterday and then started hearing the noise. The prop has just been repaired. Seems to vibrate a little more than the one it replaced. How would a new prop make the noise?

I just had a prop repaired and it sounds just like a cell phone ringing at about 1200 rpms. That could be your culprit.

With a new prop on sounds like you have 'prop sing'. Mine does it too from 900 - 1K rpms.

You can file the trailing edge of the props to square them off. The solution is described in more detail in several posts/threads here, but I can't find them in the short time I have here now.