Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXI Walk through wind block panel

Johcha

With the cold weather moving in soon..... Does anyone know where I can get a RLXi walk through wind block panel? Has anyone out there tried to make their own? If so, what are the dimentions?

Thanks!

I have an '04 Response LXi as well. I'll measure mine and take some pictures for you this weekend.

Thanks!!!

I would think that they would be quite easy to make. Lexan or a similar material should cut with a regular woodworking blade. I would take the exact measurements of my boat and cut to that. Use a router with a round over bit if possible to make a nice smooth edge. If your boat does not have a u-channel on each side, McMaster-Carr has just about anything that you should need. If my boat did not have one, I would not hesitate for a moment to make one myself.

U-channel

I never use mine. If it's cool I just leave the bow cover on. If you have a snap down bow cover that's a better way to close off the air anyway IMO and we don't use the bow when skiing. If not, and if you don't have the U-channel, it's pretty simple to make a panel from stiff 3/4" or 1" foam insulating board. Cover the edges with foam pipe insulation (the type with the self adhesive edges works slick) and you're good to go without spending much.

Ed

With the cold weather moving in soon..... Does anyone know where I can get a RLXi walk through wind block panel? Has anyone out there tried to make their own? If so, what are the dimentions?

Thanks!

We can order a factory lexan wind block for your boat if you like, they sell in the ball park of $100, if you e-mail me your hull id I can get you a quote.

Cheers

Paul

We can order a factory lexan wind block for your boat if you like, they sell in the ball park of $100, if you e-mail me your hull id I can get you a quote.

Cheers

Paul

I'll email you.

Thanks,

John

I never use mine. If it's cool I just leave the bow cover on. If you have a snap down bow cover that's a better way to close off the air anyway IMO and we don't use the bow when skiing.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of snap on bow covers. I just don't care for having the snaps on the hull. I like a cleaner look, and the wind block panel meets that purpose very well.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of snap on bow covers. I just don't care for having the snaps on the hull. I like a cleaner look, and the wind block panel meets that purpose very well.

I always said I'd never have a snap down cover for the same reasons, I didn't like the look of the snaps around the edges. When I bought this boat it came with a full snap down (bow is one part, over the windshield and over the rest of the boat is the 2nd) cover which I figured OK I'll deal with it.

The way I use my boat (lots of distance trailering) and getting caught out in the weather sometimes, I'll never have another boat without the snap down covers on it. The snaps are not on any flat surfaces where you'd ever rest your arm i.e. and it really doesn't look that bad. Utility-wise it's been a real blessing. The bow cover keeps road crud off the bow upholstry even when trailering on dry roads, on wet roads I NEVER get road funk in my boat (so no elbow grease upholstry cleanups required) and it's a tight fit so no rubbing etc. Made a believer out of me anyway.

Ed

I always said I'd never have a snap down cover for the same reasons, I didn't like the look of the snaps around the edges. The snaps are not on any flat surfaces where you'd ever rest your arm i.e. and it really doesn't look that bad.

Where are the snaps located?

I always said I'd never have a snap down cover for the same reasons, I didn't like the look of the snaps around the edges. When I bought this boat it came with a full snap down (bow is one part, over the windshield and over the rest of the boat is the 2nd) cover which I figured OK I'll deal with it.

The way I use my boat (lots of distance trailering) and getting caught out in the weather sometimes, I'll never have another boat without the snap down covers on it. The snaps are not on any flat surfaces where you'd ever rest your arm i.e. and it really doesn't look that bad. Utility-wise it's been a real blessing. The bow cover keeps road crud off the bow upholstry even when trailering on dry roads, on wet roads I NEVER get road funk in my boat (so no elbow grease upholstry cleanups required) and it's a tight fit so no rubbing etc. Made a believer out of me anyway.

Ed

My last boat had the same setup you have. I loved it. No hassles, no worries, snap it on and go. I just couldn't bring myself to have hundred or so holes drilled into my boat! I wish it was available from the factory as an option. Hint Hint :whistle:

My snap on bow cover has the snaps located under the rail, thus pretty much not visible. Center snaps are on the underside of the windshield, one snap at the bow light. This boat was pre divider era and the cover was there when I bought it. It does get a fair amount of usage in the cooler weather, but is does aggravate the dog when it goes on. I have resisted the divider install because of the same appearance issues with the u channel marring the nice flat shiny gel coat surface. Ed's suggestin is a winner in my book!

Where are the snaps located?

Where the flat top surface rolls off to the gunwales (sides), down a couple of inches past that edge if that makes any sense. On the bow there are 3 across the flat area behind the bow light, in front of the windshield there are a few but not anywhere you'd rest an elbow etc. Yeah I'd like it a bit better without them there but the utility I get versus the looks is more than a fair tradeoff.

On my previous boat I had them under the rub rail as Woodski suggested and that worked great but looked a little odd. The local boat cover/upholstry guy says he won't build covers that go over the rubrail like that anymore as too much air gets under it that way, too much flopping around according to him. FWIW.

Ed

Where the flat top surface rolls off to the gunwales (sides), down a couple of inches past that edge if that makes any sense.

I guess the snaps over the edges of the main cockpit must be down far enough so as not to hinder the slalom rope sliding down the gunwales, right?

Edited by Lieutenant Dan

Look in your front port storage area along the gunwale. That where the factory had mine. All Rlxi's came with one.

+1...I found mine a couple years after I bought the boat...it was shoved up in there pretty good, in a cover/storage bag.