Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Want to add Speed Control - PP Stargazer?

Badger

We used to have the Malibu Cruise on our iRide and now have none for the Sportster. I'm thinking about adding it and have researched the Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro Stargazer. I primarily open water slalom and hope to have an operational course next summer on the home lake. I can't foresee myself ever caring enough about course times, etc. I'd just like a consistent MPH from the wife or ski buddies.

Secondly, my wife likes to surf and I'd like to have a setting for us to use for that as well. The Malibu cruise was very inconsistent for surfing, even after a flash at the dealer. To start from scratch with a paddle wheel system scares me, that I could have some inconsistencies, based on ballast and boat list, etc.

Based on this, for my needs, would the PP Stargazer - wakeboard pro be the best bet?

Based on what you are saying, that would fit your needs just fine. However, what I think would fit your needs even better would be someone's used master module and display who upgraded to StarGazer. Then, for about $425 (last I checked) above what you pay for the master module and display you can add the rest of the components for a fully functioning PP version 6.5 or 6.5n which equates to quite a savings.

As long as a the padddle wheel is in "clean" water I can't see it causing a problem. If you have no intensions of using your boat on a body of water with significant current, no paddlewheel is desirable. I still don't understand why PP can't integrate the paddle wheel into the StarGazer system with a simple setting called "river mode" where it uses the paddle wheel input instead of GPS.

I put PP SG wakeboard pro in my 02 21LSV. Pretty straight forward install, the guys at PP were great, and the system worked 100% perfect with no adjustments or problems right out of the box. Skiing the course and surfing were the primairy reasons I got it, and it worked fantastic! We ran the course all the time with that system without any magnets and it worked great.

Edited by chadwick02

I added PP Stargazer Wakeboard Pro this spring to my 1999 Sunsetter and love it. Sounds like I have the same requirements as you: mainly open water slalom though some course skiing, wakeboarding, and surfing. Works great for all three. Holds speed very well as long as you throttle up close to the set speed and give it 30 seconds or so to lock in (the wife loves to blast right by, then it does surge a bit as it hunts for the speed). Works great for surfing, even when loaded.

Seems to me it would have everything you need as long as you didn't need the precise timing features of the three event edition.

Based on what you are saying, that would fit your needs just fine. However, what I think would fit your needs even better would be someone's used master module and display who upgraded to StarGazer. Then, for about $425 (last I checked) above what you pay for the master module and display you can add the rest of the components for a fully functioning PP version 6.5 or 6.5n which equates to quite a savings.

I just upgraded to PP SG earlier this year. To Sethro's point above, I certainly like the SG interface, but I'm not convinced the pull is substantially different than I already had. In some respects, I still have some tweaking to do for the course to get back to the same performance I had there previously. Depending on the performance level you want vs. the system cost, Sethro's suggestion could be a good one for you. If you are considering it, let me know. I have a combo display (has analog tach) as well as a master module with both 6.5 and 6.5n chips sitting in the basement, I'm sure we could work something out. I'm nearby you, and spend a good chunk of my week in Milford for work.

Thanks for all the information and thanks Jerry for the offer. I'm not trying to say that money is no object, but I think I'd rather have the assurance that it's going to work for surfing, which my Malibu Cruise did not. Therefore, I'd rather pay a bit more and go to the GPS based system, as the others have stated works well.

Which guage did the majority of you eliminate? Speedo or tach?

If you think you'll be changing boats at all in the near future I would spring for StarGazer, it's much more portable (no hole in the bilge) so you can take it with you to your next boat.

Pull the speedo, you've got two so you'll still have an analog gauge, and it's got a digital speedo built in.

If you think you'll be changing boats at all in the near future I would spring for StarGazer, it's much more portable (no hole in the bilge) so you can take it with you to your next boat.

Pull the speedo, you've got two so you'll still have an analog gauge, and it's got a digital speedo built in.

:plus1: speeeeeedo

just added this to my '05. Very straight forward install and well worth the investment. My wife and I kid about it being a marriage saver! The one thing that takes use to learnig how to drive with it is making a turn! You must pull back on the throttle during the turn!

Which gauge to pull is tough.... The PP has a digital tach at both the on and off screens. On my '05 we pulled the tach to keep the displays offered on the speedo. The tachis easily read off the PP display.