Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Downsides to XTi?

stroker-ace

I know these boats bring less money than their v-drive counterparts. Why is that? Is it a balance issue between engine placement vs hull? Or is it that people don't like the interior arrangement? Is the MLS located differently due to the interior configuration? I really hated the interiors of these things at first, but it is starting to grow on me.

What are your opinions of the XTi? I have seen several opportunities to sneak up and steal one. The perceived accelerated depreciation rate has got to slow at some dollar amount on the $20k range...one would think.

It's a faux vdrive. It's still a direct drive boat though & won't give you the wake for boarding or surfing that a real vdrive will. Ballast is more of a problem than even a traditional direct drive because of the layout. If you want a crossover, they work well for that. But if you want a vdrive, buy a vdrive.

That is kinda what I figured. I love my RLXi, but the wife wants a wake hull. She doesnt like to worry about taking water over the bow all the time, but for me, it is no problem.

I figured the DD would screw the XTi up in at least one way if not several. I just see those boats going for cheap and the car dealer in me is always looking for a way to sneak up on a deal.

Thanks WG.

Haha. Ya. My wife and I have a different set of priorities.

Besides, we generally skate behind my boat and surf behind my buddy's VLX.

As you can see I lost that battle...:whistle:

The XTI is the master of none yet the ultimate compromise boat that really only appealed to a niche market, hence its retirement from the line up.

I have always like the layout of the XTi, especially because I can separate my two children and guests easier in that type of layout. Literally three different seating areas for mini-groups. We occasionally do that now with one in the bow and one in the back, but the XTi seems more suited for it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but I don't have my dream boat right now. Having read some of your other stuff, I think maybe you do (both mine and yours).

Everyone says how much more room there is in a v-drive, and I can see it, but if you want separation or personal lounge space, DD is the answer. Not having to rest your leg against someone else's and such can be an advantage.

I chose Malibu because of the XTI. It is the perfect boat for my situation. The biggest downside is the surfing. You can't drop a 1100 lb sac in the rear locker. Other than that, it has enough wakeboard wake for me, and my highly coveted diamond hull makes a great ski wake for a 23 foot boat.

Riddle me this.....

Anyone care to chime in on the even more rare 247 RX....I would intersted to know how the surf wave compares to a standard 247 as well as how it stacks up to a XTI.

Why anyone would sell a 2006 Response LXI is beyond me.

Out west it is very hard to find a Response LXI.

Plenty of Response LX, and plenty of V-Drive boats in every configuration.

In my opinion by far the absolute best Malibu ever made for the skier and occasional wakeboarder.

It goes like this:

"Never leave flat water to find flatter water"

Or: Cher to Nicholas Cage in Moonstruck:

"SNAP OUT OF IT"

Riddle me this.....

Anyone care to chime in on the even more rare 247 RX....I would intersted to know how the surf wave compares to a standard 247 as well as how it stacks up to a XTI.

I have one. Here is a pic of my boy surfing. I only have 1 750lb fly high, stock Malibu ballast and power wedge. He thinks it's good. I'm getting another 750 and see how he likes it.

Anyhow, I love the layout, we don't ski so no problem there. Also, for a large boat it handles like a go cart.

post-8202-128345244146_thumb.jpg

I have one. Here is a pic of my boy surfing. I only have 1 750lb fly high, stock Malibu ballast and power wedge. He thinks it's good. I'm getting another 750 and see how he likes it.

Anyhow, I love the layout, we don't ski so no problem there. Also, for a large boat it handles like a go cart.

Where's the current 750 on the side seat?

Where's the current 750 on the side seat?

Both my kids ride goofy. On the 247 The small seat is on the starboard side, so the sac is half on the seat and half on the floor. When I get another one I am going to put it on the floor in front of the seat and the other one on top of it with the back part on the seat.

I chose Malibu because of the XTI. It is the perfect boat for my situation. The biggest downside is the surfing. You can't drop a 1100 lb sac in the rear locker. Other than that, it has enough wakeboard wake for me, and my highly coveted diamond hull makes a great ski wake for a 23 foot boat.

Totally agree with the above - we like the layout and with ballast full and wedge down, it throws a pretty serious wakeboard wake - even moreso with about 6-8 people in the rear seating "pit" in the rear. And the ski wake is pretty amazing for a 23 footer.

If I didn't have to think of others, I would get an RLXi since I love to slalom. In reality we have 8-10+ people out with tons of kids and EVERYONE wants to leave the pontoons and runabouts behind and hang on the Bu. :-)

-- mike