Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV vs. 247

Tacostik

Hello all, long time reader first time poster. First off I love the site, it has actually helped to sway me away from a SAN and towards a Bu.

I was leaning towards getting a Super Air, but a guy who rides on our river has a brand new Wakesetter and it was love at first sight. The towers on the newer SAN's have sacrificed form for function and I really love the lines of a Wakesetter. I know that Bu's are also comparable as far as quality goes. I have had a bad experience w/ MC's so it's down to 2 of the big 3.

So my question is: what are the benefits of a 247 over a 23? I realize that the 247 is bigger, but exactly how much? Is it that noticeable?

We surf 50%, board 40%, and skate/ski/tube 10%. I have seen lots of threads on the 23's wake, but not too many on the 247's.

I am looking to keep the price tag >$50k.

Thanks

The 247 is the ultimate surf machine and killer wakes aka the lake limo. Though w/ that price point it'll be difficult to find a 247 for that price. The 247 is nice if you have 7-8+ all the time and want some space, otherwise people wise the LSV would work fine as well. I know a member on this forum is selling a killer '06 247 (Stewart), can vouch it's super clean.

Having a 23 LSV I can't imagine needing anything bigger. It's plenty big. And mine has the Monsoon, so I don't go broke paying for gas. If the wake was any wider at 70', I'd have to set the speed at 24 or higher (not an option at my age). I've not ridden behind a 247, so I dont know if the wake is in fact wider than a 23LSV. Lastly, although it's the furthest thing from my mind, I believe the 23LSV is more marketable than the 247.

So how does the monsoon compare to the hammerhead as far as gas goes? Does it have enough power for the boat when it is slammed w/ 2500+ Lbs? Would a simple prop change do the trick?

My brother J just bought at 2008 247 for 52K. It is possible to find one within 10% of your budget. His boat is still under warranty as well and in great shape.

Gas consumption between the two boats is nearly the same. I have owned 2 23's and 3 247's. This has been my experience. At first I did not feel this way because the 247 has a larger gas tank. I did some consumption analysis and the there was a difference of about 6 gallons. So is there extra cost yes but not that much.

As for the wakeboard wake the width of the wake was similar. however the 247 is much taller and fatter. you dont have to work to get boosted way up. i have several pro riders that ride with us who have ridden many many boats including the 23LSV and they all say the 247 is their favorite.

the comparison between the two surf waves was noticeable as well. i mean real noticeable. the surf wave is HUGE LONG and POWERFUL.

you will be surprised at how quickly a boat can begin to feel small. i bought my second 23 and anchored next to a buddy of mines 247 for the day. i was amazed at how nice the extra room was. it was not long after that we upgraded to the MIGHTY 247.

the challenge is the 247 will not fit into a garage. we keep ours in a storage. the storage cost 80 bucks a month so that is also an additional cost.

my two pennies,

wheelhouse out

So how does the monsoon compare to the hammerhead as far as gas goes? Does it have enough power for the boat when it is slammed w/ 2500+ Lbs? Would a simple prop change do the trick?

You'll need to prop down w/ the HH with added weight beyond stock. You might PM KB3 as he's got the HH in his 247. The 8.1 is the shnitz in this boat! The monsoon was never offered in this boat only the HH and 8.1.

You'll need to prop down w/ the HH with added weight beyond stock. You might PM KB3 as he's got the HH in his 247. The 8.1 is the shnitz in this boat! The monsoon was never offered in this boat only the HH and 8.1.

I propped down to a 1235 and with the four factory ballast tanks filled and two 750 sacs, I still have no problem getting out of the hole. I have never once thought that I needed any more power. Don't get me wrong, if I had ordered the boat instead of buying off the lot it would have the 8.1 in it, but the HH is a great motor and more than enough for the 247. I actually had all the tanks full, the sacs full and 12 people aboard the other day, no problems what so ever.

My brother J just bought at 2008 247 for 52K. It is possible to find one within 10% of your budget. His boat is still under warranty as well and in great shape.

Gas consumption between the two boats is nearly the same. I have owned 2 23's and 3 247's. This has been my experience. At first I did not feel this way because the 247 has a larger gas tank. I did some consumption analysis and the there was a difference of about 6 gallons. So is there extra cost yes but not that much.

As for the wakeboard wake the width of the wake was similar. however the 247 is much taller and fatter. you dont have to work to get boosted way up. i have several pro riders that ride with us who have ridden many many boats including the 23LSV and they all say the 247 is their favorite.

the comparison between the two surf waves was noticeable as well. i mean real noticeable. the surf wave is HUGE LONG and POWERFUL.

you will be surprised at how quickly a boat can begin to feel small. i bought my second 23 and anchored next to a buddy of mines 247 for the day. i was amazed at how nice the extra room was. it was not long after that we upgraded to the MIGHTY 247.

the challenge is the 247 will not fit into a garage. we keep ours in a storage. the storage cost 80 bucks a month so that is also an additional cost.

my two pennies,

wheelhouse out

Were the 23 and 247 you "compared" equally weighted in this scenario?

Edit: Was the 23 on the 08'+ hull?

Edited by 06vlx

Were the 23 and 247 you "compared" equally weighted in this scenario?

Edit: Was the 23 on the 08'+ hull?

We are not going to venture down this road.

once again my two pennys

Wheelhouse out

Edited by Stanley Wheelhouse