Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom guards

88Skier

What are the pros & cons with each? I'm planning on updating my platform with the teak transom guard this spring. I'm now wondering if they're really effective if some people are resorting to transom pads.

What are the pros & cons with each?  I'm planning on updating my platform with the teak transom guard this spring. I'm now wondering if they're really effective if some people are resorting to transom pads.

My guess for why people are resorting to transom pads is that a lot of us have the fiberglass platforms & there's no good way of putting a saver on it. If I had teak, I'd get the transom saver from Teak World. I've had Scotchcal on both this boat & the last one so I'll give you my thoughts on that (fiberglass platforms on both boats). On the last boat it protected well enough but yellowed badly only part-way into the season (yes, it was Scotchcal, not some off-brand so I don't know why it yellowed). This boat we had professionally done & the stuff they used wasn't thick enough & actually has some gouges in it. I think that I'm going to pull it off & order a pad & be done with it.

I picked up a transom pad for my boat because I felt that would best fit my needs for protecting the transom gelcoat. Most of the time I don't have too many worries about boards banging on the transom with the usual crew that goes out in the boat. There are some times, however, when there are newbies that just aren't familiar with boats and boarding equipment. For me the biggest time for that is during our church Houseboat Camp. My boat will be seeing hundreds of high school kids, many of whom are newbies. The transom pad can then be used for those two weeks and then be taken off. I can then get it out for use whenever I feel like protection will be needed. Most of the scratches my boat got last year occured during the camp.

I considered the teak guard, but if the boat is weighted down then the board could float above it and still nail the transom. I rejected the tape as I didn't want to put something on that could peel or become discolored. It may work just great, but it's not what I wanted. I also wasn't sure how it would hold up sitting in the 'clean' Willamette while moored. My greatest need again was for a short time and so the pad seemed the best for me.

I imagine I will still get a few small dings, but now I know how to get them out quickly and easily so that it looks new again.

I put a transom saver on my teak deck. Works wonders and looks really nice. The trick is to ask for 3-4 blocks of scrap when you make your order. Use these to mount your transonsaver on. The added elevation from the blocks gives the TS about 1.5 inches of total elevation and a slight lip as well. The TS mounted that way also makes it easy to grab the swim deck when you have to move it around.

I screwed the TS on the blocks, 1 screws for each block, from below creating a TS and blocks unit. Then I screwed into the blocks from below the swim deck mounting the TS unit. This method allows you to have total control of the TS and blocks, while you build, and you still use long screws for the final mounting that go all the way into the TS.

dlb

dlb, I know thats a great description but do you have any pics?

dlb, where did you get your transom guard, I searched Teak World (per Tracie) but only found "the new teak world" it didn't look like they sold transom guards.

Edited by Cervelo

I have a pic somewhere, I'll post it when I find it.

I purchased my TS from Teak World. You need to call them and they just asked for my boat make, model, year, somewhere between $75 and $80 and my address. Three days later I had the shipment.

I put a transom saver on my teak deck.  Works wonders and looks really nice.  The trick is to ask for 3-4 blocks of scrap when you make your order.  Use these to mount your transonsaver on.  The added elevation from the blocks gives the TS about 1.5 inches of total elevation and a slight lip as well.  The TS mounted that way also makes it easy to grab the swim deck when you have to move it around.

I screwed the TS on the blocks, 1 screws for each block, from below creating a TS and blocks unit.  Then I screwed into the blocks from below the swim deck mounting the TS unit.  This method allows you to have total control of the TS and blocks, while you build, and you still use long screws for the final mounting that go all the way into the TS. 

dlb

Where did you get the teak? Is it just a plain piece of teak that you cut to fit?

Joe W.

Teak World is where you get the teak. They have precut TS available. TW is the OEM supplier for Malibu.

Teak World Enterprises

104 E FORREST AVE

LEBANON, TN

37087-2316

Phone: 615-444-7269

There is a thread over on WSR ( http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index....topic=14939&hl= ) started by the maker of the transpads that are sold on the Malibu site. He wants to get a group buy together. One person that posted there said they really liked them, so I think I'm going to try one.

Edited by jcbatt
Where did you get the teak?  Is it just a plain piece of teak that you cut to fit?

Joe W.

I got one this winter and will be installing it this week after I re-finish the swim platform. The kit consists of a duplicate of the teak slat the sits closest to your transom, 4 teak spacer blocks and stainless steel screws to attach it to the platform. I'm very pleased with how it looks.

There is a thread over on WSR ( http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index....topic=14939&hl= ) started by the maker of the transpads that are sold on the Malibu site.  He wants to get a group buy together.  One person that posted there said they really liked them, so I think I'm going to try one.

I've got an email into him to see if he can make me one that just says Malibu with no graphics.

Teak World is where you get the teak.  They have precut TS available.  TW is the OEM supplier for Malibu.

Teak World Enterprises

104 E FORREST AVE

LEBANON, TN

37087-2316

It would be great to see any pics of your TS if you have them. I keep waffling back and forth whether I should go the teak route or the pad.

Joe

Great responses. WG, I never even thought about fiberlass platforms. It sounds like for a Sportster, the teak kit is the way to go. We don't use balast so the platform is seldom submerged. Scrap pieces are a good idea to raise it up some.

Gator Grip is great stuff. We used a similar product called Hydroturf on the tops of our gunnels for traction. I've seen Gator Grip used in that application before & the only thing that I'll warn about is that you want to be sure that it's what you want because once it's on it's a bear to get off.

Teak World is where you get the teak.  They have precut TS available.  TW is the OEM supplier for Malibu.

Teak World Enterprises

104 E FORREST AVE

LEBANON, TN

37087-2316

It would be great to see any pics of your TS if you have them. I keep waffling back and forth whether I should go the teak route or the pad.

Joe

Joe, you can check mine out on the 6th. It looks like CarveItUp's - except my platform looks nicer :)

TW sent me the TS (he,he,he...) with the 4 blocks included. Only problem - the Wedge door doesn't quite open all the way once it's installed. Hard to keep it open and get your arm in there to play with the Wedge.

INSTAL RECOMMENDATION:

If you place the TS too far back on the platform - towards the boat (like I did) you can't tilt the platform up high enough to get it on/off. That was a bummer to have to re-drill it all.

Teak World Enterprises

104 E FORREST AVE

LEBANON, TN

37087-2316

Joe

Joe, you can check mine out on the 6th. It looks like CarveItUp's - except my platform looks nicer :)

TW sent me the TS (he,he,he...) with the 4 blocks included. Only problem - the Wedge door doesn't quite open all the way once it's installed. Hard to keep it open and get your arm in there to play with the Wedge.

INSTAL RECOMMENDATION:

If you place the TS too far back on the platform - towards the boat (like I did) you can't tilt the platform up high enough to get it on/off. That was a bummer to have to re-drill it all.

Andy,

How much did it cost? Also, I asked that question earlier abou the door clearance. Do you think TW would route out a little for the door clearance?

Joe