Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop help

black06VLX

I have the #1235 Acme on our 05' VLX with the HH 383 and Extreme trailer. Does not hit trailer, and well the hole shot is great but with the HH the hole shot should be good anyway with stock ballast and wedge. I used the #1235 because we had it on our old boat and was great then so I put it on the VLX and if we ever run more than the four tank ballast & wedge then I have the extra that may be needed.

I bought mine from the dealer up here. Once you factor in exchange (7%) ,shipping($60-80), brokerage($40-50)... it isn't much cheaper to buy out of the states...plus you will wait a couple of weeks and be that much closer to the end of the season vs. having it tomorrow.

Its going to be close for sure, but if I can ship it USPS instead of Rip you off UPS its a lot cheaper. We will probably buy it from Wizard, but depends what I can find over winter. USPS is how I ship car parts and it saves a lot if people will ship with it. Shipping on the prop is $54 US with USPS and duty might be $25.

What prop are you running if you don't mind me asking?

Its going to be close for sure, but if I can ship it USPS instead of Rip you off UPS its a lot cheaper. We will probably buy it from Wizard, but depends what I can find over winter. USPS is how I ship car parts and it saves a lot if people will ship with it. Shipping on the prop is $54 US with USPS and duty might be $25.

I'm pretty sure Bakes will ship USPS for their Canadian customers.

I run the 1235 and it works great. I can still do 43 (gps) for the 3 times a year I actually need to. But the big thing I have noticed is with surfing is I've probably paid for a good part of the prop in fuel as the engine is never lugging at surf speed. At ghost or sylvan a 1235 is great...when we are in BC I have put our 535 and it worked well with the 2000 less feet of altitiude. We have a boatmate trailer had never had a prop spacing issue on the trailer...although our LSV sits higher on the trailer than a vlx.

I buy alot of stuff state side and use USPS as much as possible (like you said it takes a bit of work with some sellers) but find with the bigger stuff USPS gets a bit more expensive when you are looking for tracking on an item (good idea with your $500 prop floating through the mail). UPS/fed ex etc are a scam...agreed. I've never had brokerage below $40 with UPS etc.

One thing I have started doing is save up my US purchases for a couple of trips a year to sweetgrass/coutts. There are a couple of places in sweetgrass that will take delivery of an item then you drive across and pick them up. Works great with car parts as a lot of places give free shipping in the US. Now myself and some friends have started doing coordinated trips to the border for all our stuff. The next trip might need a trailer.

Meant to add.... For a few extra bucks to buy from Wizard Lake is not a bad thing... having your local dealer get to know you and your boat and have them know you are supporting them by buying from them is huge. I bought our boat out the US and have gotten to know the Wizard Lake guys well. There are some dealers that treat you like dirt if you buy stateside. Wizard Lake treats me very well and have gone to the plate a couple of times with Malibu on warranty items. A dealer relationship especially with a boat is huge IMHO as you will be working with them few times a year.

Meant to add.... For a few extra bucks to buy from Wizard Lake is not a bad thing... having your local dealer get to know you and your boat and have them know you are supporting them by buying from them is huge. I bought our boat out the US and have gotten to know the Wizard Lake guys well. There are some dealers that treat you like dirt if you buy stateside. Wizard Lake treats me very well and have gone to the plate a couple of times with Malibu on warranty items. A dealer relationship especially with a boat is huge IMHO as you will be working with them few times a year.

We know Wizard lake pretty well. We bought our 02 VLX from there and our 06 VLX came from them also. But it is nice to support local for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done many of tests with the OJ and ACME props and will give my little 2c

As for the prop hitting the trailer. Put the prop on while the boat is on the trailer. Dont take the chance and at the end of the day if you are wanting a larger prop you will do what ever it takes to make it work, even if you have to mod the trailer frame at the prop gaurd area.

475 would be great for your boat and wanting to cruise the lakes

1235 has great hole shot but will loose 4-5 mph on top end

1273 same hole shot as the 1235 but you will only loose 2-3 mph on top end

468 will give the best hole shot and will only loose about 2-3 on top end.

JM2C but those two OJ's have a thicker blade and take hit better then an ACME.

You can't go wrong with any of them but from what you put in your 1st post I would stick with the 1273 or 468

As for price, if you have to have it now, give Bakes a call if not wait for the GB this winter.

Hey Goose,

I am thinking of adding W711 Flyhigh nose sac that mose guys run under the seats up front, but on top for extra weight and the twin 400lb v-drive sacs. They may not go full all the time, but with that extra weight in mind would you take the 468 OJ now over the 1273 ACME or will they both not have trouble with the 383 Hammerhead getting going with that amount of weight and wedge?

Looking at adding 750lbs extra on the low end to over 1500lbs with those bags full.

Thanks

Hey Goose,

I am thinking of adding W711 Flyhigh nose sac that mose guys run under the seats up front, but on top for extra weight and the twin 400lb v-drive sacs. They may not go full all the time, but with that extra weight in mind would you take the 468 OJ now over the 1273 ACME or will they both not have trouble with the 383 Hammerhead getting going with that amount of weight and wedge?

Looking at adding 750lbs extra on the low end to over 1500lbs with those bags full.

Thanks

Keep in mind both OJ and Acme will exchange props, the retailer may or may not but check before you buy. That way you aren't stuck w/ one prop. Between the two props I'd suggest the OJ 468 since it's a smaller diameter and w/ that amount of extra weight it'll come in handy and better hole shot. If you want to increase the top speed and even more "bite", I'd suggest increasing the cup size from .110 to .130 or .140, but Eric Johnson @ Oj would be best to suggest what cup size he'd recommend based on your situation.

Keep in mind both OJ and Acme will exchange props, the retailer may or may not but check before you buy. That way you aren't stuck w/ one prop. Between the two props I'd suggest the OJ 468 since it's a smaller diameter and w/ that amount of extra weight it'll come in handy and better hole shot. If you want to increase the top speed and even more "bite", I'd suggest increasing the cup size from .110 to .130 or .140, but Eric Johnson @ Oj would be best to suggest what cup size he'd recommend based on your situation.

Thanks I am going to give OJ a call this afternoon if I get some time.

... Between the two props I'd suggest the OJ 468 since it's a smaller diameter and w/ that amount of extra weight it'll come in handy and better hole shot.

Careful, a smaller diameter prop will typically have less blade surface area than a larger diameter model (all else being equal), and that will translate into worse whole shot.

Thanks I am going to give OJ a call this afternoon if I get some time.

You want the largest diameter prop you can get (14.5") to transmit as much power to the water at the low end of the spectrum. Let me know if you want to try any of these props, we'll send them up to you USPS (along with your ballast to save on shipping), and you can keep whichever one you prefer.

• 10 months later...

To finish this thread off I wanted to say a big thank you for the help on this site.

We ended up going with an ACME 1273. Tested it out and it was a huge improvement over the ACME 381 prop we had on the boat.

We lost about 5-6mph off the top end. Cruise was around 45-46mph before(we never verified with GPS) and now the speedo will get up to around 40-41mph.

Rpms before would not quite touch 5200rpm with the 381 at WOT, now we can get it up over 5200. I believe we saw around 5300rpm for the bit we held it WOT.

Now for how we ride it works great. We board with no less then full quad MLS, wedge 2 clicks up and we take off like that with anywhere from 2-4 people on board. My brother gave it gas like before and I honestly thought he forgot to drop the wedge it took off so well loaded like described. Holds speed nicely now, we did notice the front felt like it drifted a little side to side going straight in the one direction(I felt this also when I drove it) I don't think its prop related.

Holds speed well for surfing also with a 750lb rear sac.