Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop help

black06VLX

I just wanted to say this looks like a nice site and I registered because I searched through 8 pages looking for an answer to my prop question.

I will start off with the boat.

2006 Wakesetter VLX, HH 383 motor, stock prop, 1250lbs stock ballast, power wedge, yada yada

We ride full ballast and the wedge 2-3 clicks up from the bottom depending on how we want the peak. 22.8-23.2mph and 75-80ft back.

We ride in elevation from 2400-3500ft with density altitude usually north of 4500-5000ft(Calgary AB). With full stock ballast and 6-7 adults in the boat its not nimble getting going and burns gas.

I know we either want the ACME 1235 prop, OJ 475 or 468. What prop do you think is the best fit? I may start riding with more weight so I can bump the speed to nearly 24mph with my 80ft of rope, but I can boot it alright with factory weight at the speed I ride now.

I just don't know what to buy of those 3. I read in a couple posts people are worried about the 1235 prop hitting the prop gaurd on the trailer? Is this a concern with the OJ props also? I have to think its the same with only a 1/4" of diameter difference.

Thanks in advance

Wanted to add that our current prop is the 381 from ACME 13.5x17.5

Edited by black06VLX

I just put a 1235 on my Bu today and the thing looks huge compared to my old OJ. It never occurred to me that it might hit the trailer coming on and off. I just did a bit of research on this site and called a few prop shops until I knew which one I wanted. Unfortunately, I won't be able to tell you whether it hits or not until Saturday when the weather clears. I hope I didn't make a big mistake but I will let you know either way.

I just put a 1235 on my Bu today and the thing looks huge compared to my old OJ. It never occurred to me that it might hit the trailer coming on and off. I just did a bit of research on this site and called a few prop shops until I knew which one I wanted. Unfortunately, I won't be able to tell you whether it hits or not until Saturday when the weather clears. I hope I didn't make a big mistake but I will let you know either way.

Thanks and please let me know how you like it. I think all the 14-14.5" props are going to be large, but I would think you would have to get corked up pretty bad on the trailer to smash it up.

same boat to a t

I run the 1235 and love it

have had it 3 years now and never have hit the trailer , plenty of room 2-3 inches or so

I have a ryan trailer

I have two spares 475and 381 don't like them, 475 is better then the stock 381

you will loose some top end with the 1235, my tops at 41 gps but pulls like a truck

night and day between the two

I switched props to the 381 to cruise chelan and pulled it that night

3 sec plane drove me nuts

plus people on the boat where asking what was wrong with the boat

1235 or 1237 acme , you will not be disappointed

Edited by my malibu

The 1235 will not hit an Extreme trailer, Ryan yes. With that info I assume an OJ will hit as well. Every traier is different. I try not to power load much, besides power loading sucks.

The 1235 will not hit an Extreme trailer, Ryan yes. With that info I assume an OJ will hit as well. Every traier is different. I try not to power load much, besides power loading sucks.

wow then I'm a lucky guy I guess

doesn't hit my ryan trailer

3 years running

:biggrin:

o6 is right through I don't power load ,ever

Edited by my malibu

wow then I'm a lucky guy I guess

doesn't hit my ryan trailer

3 years running

:biggrin:

o6 is right through I don't power load ,ever

Yeah that's right you just hit rocks right after you launch :Tease3: .

I can tell you the 475 won't hit the boatmate trailer either, not even with lead in my boat. And I'd be willing to bet if someone hit their prop, it was due to improper loading.

Thank you guys. Looks like we will look into the ACME 1235 and see if we can source one locally and quick.

Unfortunately we have to power load most of the time due to a crappy boat launch and not being able to put the trailer in deep enough to winch on by hand completely. Good thing is the bottom of the lake is a muddy/sand bottom so don't have to worry about hitting the prop on that crap.

same boat to a t

I run the 1235 and love it

have had it 3 years now and never have hit the trailer , plenty of room 2-3 inches or so

I have a ryan trailer

I have two spares 475and 381 don't like them, 475 is better then the stock 381

you will loose some top end with the 1235, my tops at 41 gps but pulls like a truck

night and day between the two

I switched props to the 381 to cruise chelan and pulled it that night

3 sec plane drove me nuts

plus people on the boat where asking what was wrong with the boat

1235 or 1237 acme , you will not be disappointed

I'm curious what aspects of the 1235 you like more than the 475???

I can give you mine and I've used both. The 1235 is snappier and has more grunt out of the hole, it's also more responsive when you hammer it. The 475 is a smoother prop overall. It delivers it's power smooth all the way to top end. There is no throw you back in your seat power with the 475 in my experience like there is with the 1235. I used the 1235 on the 340 monsoon, the 475 was with the HH 383.

I like them both but for different reasons. If a person only surfed the 475 is great.

1235 i like the power i run 2 750 in the rear lockers 400 in the middle of the boat and a 1000 in the nose w/ 4 -6 people pulls like it's not even weighted

I agree the 475 is smoother but lacks that pull you're arm off start :thumbup:

i wakeboard 70% of the time surf 40%

if you surf more then wakeboard , etc 475 would be better

Edited by my malibu

Yeah that's right you just hit rocks right after you launch :Tease3: .

:innocent:

p.s. that a h-ll of a surf wake you got

Edited by my malibu

I can give you mine and I've used both. The 1235 is snappier and has more grunt out of the hole, it's also more responsive when you hammer it. The 475 is a smoother prop overall. It delivers it's power smooth all the way to top end. There is no throw you back in your seat power with the 475 in my experience like there is with the 1235. I used the 1235 on the 340 monsoon, the 475 was with the HH 383.I like them both but for different reasons. If a person only surfed the 475 is great.

1235 i like the power i run 2 750 in the rear lockers 400 in the middle of the boat and a 1000 in the nose w/ 4 -6 people pulls like it's not even weighted I agree the 475 is smoother but lacks that pull you're arm off start :thumbup: i wakeboard 70% of the time surf 40% if you surf more then wakeboard , etc 475 would be better

Thanks for the responses. Seems a bit odd to me that you're both saying the 1235 gives the boat more torque, but the 475 is better for surfing. I guess my thought process tells me more torque would be better for surfing. I mostly wakeboard and went with the 475 because my dealer recommended it over the 1235 (he is into watersports himself and has run all of them) and I remembered Travis Moye talking up the 475 when it first came out and I was at the boarding school. Maybe I'll try the 1235 on my next boat and see how they compare.

Thanks for the responses. Seems a bit odd to me that you're both saying the 1235 gives the boat more torque, but the 475 is better for surfing. I guess my thought process tells me more torque would be better for surfing. I mostly wakeboard and went with the 475 because my dealer recommended it over the 1235 (he is into watersports himself and has run all of them) and I remembered Travis Moye talking up the 475 when it first came out and I was at the boarding school. Maybe I'll try the 1235 on my next boat and see how they compare.

Maybe I should rephrase what I said. The 475 brings the power on slower and more consistantly, that prop doesn't have the rip your arms off power when you gun it like the 1235 does. We were running a ton, well actually a couple tons of weight but the prop did fine it just powered up very smoothly.

Edited by 06vlx

Maybe I should rephrase what I said. The 475 brings the power on slower and more consistantly, that prop doesn't have the rip your arms off power when you gun it like the 1235 does. We were running a ton, well actually a couple tons of weight but the prop did fine it just powered up very smoothly.

1235 sounds like the right prop for us given our elevation and the fact we lose 30-50hp due to the DA.

Would you be able to help me with a good place to buy this prop from in the US? The dealer up here wants $650 cdn for the prop and I remember reading on this site guys were getting it for ~$500 without shipping.

I demoed a 475 on my '06 VLX with the 383 for a couple of weeks. At sea level (or close to it), it was great, a huge improvement over the Acme 537. But at elevation (2k' & up), there were diminishing returns the higher that you went. I couldn't explain it, but at 3500' I could put the 537 on & there was literally no difference between how the 2 props in how the boat performed at that altitude. I can't speak to the 1235 since I have no personal experience with that prop.

1235 sounds like the right prop for us given our elevation and the fact we lose 30-50hp due to the DA.

Would you be able to help me with a good place to buy this prop from in the US? The dealer up here wants $650 cdn for the prop and I remember reading on this site guys were getting it for ~$500 without shipping.

Here you go.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1019

I bought a 1273 which is the same price as the 1235 for $511 from boarditup.com. I would highly reccomend them Karl has been a great help on props as well as other equipment and great pricing. Type in discount code acme.

Edited by 98buphon

i put the 475 on my 07 w/the hammerhead. i also have a Ryan trailer and do powerload occasionally. I primarily surf and have the boat loaded up with a lot of extra weight. we ride Lake Sammamish (which is effectively at sea level) as well as Priest Lake which i think is around 2800ft above sea level, and i have not noticed a difference in teh elevation.

I dont have any exp with the 12xx series props, but i love the 475 and have not had any issues with it. i lost about 2-3mph off the top end, but my gas mileage did not suffer very much. in fact, this past week, i actually got better mileage than two I/O's that i was with when driving WOT accross Lake Coeur D'Alene (I used 1/2 a tank of gas running from end to end, whereas the 2 I/O's [a 21.5 and a 24 both with the Merc Alpha1] used almost the entire tank. All three tanks were approx the same size. One of the I/O's just had a brand new motor put in).

I have done many of tests with the OJ and ACME props and will give my little 2c

As for the prop hitting the trailer. Put the prop on while the boat is on the trailer. Dont take the chance and at the end of the day if you are wanting a larger prop you will do what ever it takes to make it work, even if you have to mod the trailer frame at the prop gaurd area.

475 would be great for your boat and wanting to cruise the lakes

1235 has great hole shot but will loose 4-5 mph on top end

1273 same hole shot as the 1235 but you will only loose 2-3 mph on top end

468 will give the best hole shot and will only loose about 2-3 on top end.

JM2C but those two OJ's have a thicker blade and take hit better then an ACME.

You can't go wrong with any of them but from what you put in your 1st post I would stick with the 1273 or 468

As for price, if you have to have it now, give Bakes a call if not wait for the GB this winter.

I have done many of tests with the OJ and ACME props and will give my little 2c

As for the prop hitting the trailer. Put the prop on while the boat is on the trailer. Dont take the chance and at the end of the day if you are wanting a larger prop you will do what ever it takes to make it work, even if you have to mod the trailer frame at the prop gaurd area.

475 would be great for your boat and wanting to cruise the lakes

1235 has great hole shot but will loose 4-5 mph on top end

1273 same hole shot as the 1235 but you will only loose 2-3 mph on top end

468 will give the best hole shot and will only loose about 2-3 on top end.

JM2C but those two OJ's have a thicker blade and take hit better then an ACME.

You can't go wrong with any of them but from what you put in your 1st post I would stick with the 1273 or 468

As for price, if you have to have it now, give Bakes a call if not wait for the GB this winter.

Thanks sir. It sounds like the 1273 will be a good prop for us with the hammerhead after doing a little more digging and talking with ACME after Goose's suggestion.

I will wait for a group buy if there is going to be one this winter.

I bought mine from the dealer up here. Once you factor in exchange (7%) ,shipping($60-80), brokerage($40-50)... it isn't much cheaper to buy out of the states...plus you will wait a couple of weeks and be that much closer to the end of the season vs. having it tomorrow.