Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Tilt mechanism replacement

I have an '05 VLX with a loose steering wheel, which turns out to be a problem with the tilt mechanism. This seems like a straightforward project but I am struggling to remove the part the steering wheel bolts to to replace the entire tilt mechanism. I removed the main bolt and assumned this piece would just slide right off of the shaft, but i have pulled and pulled and can not get it to even budge a little. Am I missing something that is holding this in place? There doesnt appear to be anything and the dealer insists there is nothing. I'll spray some WD 40 on tonight to see if that helps loosen things up, but wanted to see if anyone had any tricks up their sleeve? Thanks!

I have an '05 VLX with a loose steering wheel, which turns out to be a problem with the tilt mechanism. This seems like a straightforward project but I am struggling to remove the part the steering wheel bolts to to replace the entire tilt mechanism. I removed the main bolt and assumned this piece would just slide right off of the shaft, but i have pulled and pulled and can not get it to even budge a little. Am I missing something that is holding this in place? There doesnt appear to be anything and the dealer insists there is nothing. I'll spray some WD 40 on tonight to see if that helps loosen things up, but wanted to see if anyone had any tricks up their sleeve? Thanks!

There is an allen bolt that needs to be pulled out located on the steering shaft. It is a little difficult to see. I will see if I can find a pic after breakfast...

This might be of interest to you.

Edited by Ruffdog

I need help removing the piece not shown here that you probably removed one step prior. It is a cast iron piece painted black that the physical steering wheel bolts to with 6 screws. I have a picture but no clue how to insert it in here.

I need help removing the piece not shown here that you probably removed one step prior. It is a cast iron piece painted black that the physical steering wheel bolts to with 6 screws. I have a picture but no clue how to insert it in here.

I see. If I am correct you removed those six screws to remove the steering wheel. I am pretty sure there is no need to do that so might be a good idea to bolt it back up. After that, unscrew the center nut until it is flush with the steering shaft but don't remove it all the way because your going to hit it with a hammer and it will damage the threads.

Next pull the steering wheel towards you (like your going to pull the steering wheel off) and hit the shaft with a hammer. A few sharp blows and the steering wheel will pop off.

The reason it is stuck on is because the steering wheel fits on to a tapered shaft.

i have a problem w the tilt mech, too. where did you find pieces and parts to "replace the entire tilt mechanism"?

I should have asked that same question. I was able to get the steering hub off but not until after i had installed the new one did i realize the shaft was slightly different. My hub for my steering wheel will not work. Are these Malibu specific?

I should have asked that same question. I was able to get the steering hub off but not until after i had installed the new one did i realize the shaft was slightly different. My hub for my steering wheel will not work. Are these Malibu specific?

Getting out of my league a little here but I do know there are at least two. A splined shaft for CC and MC and Malibu uses a tapered shaft.

Well I have the new one in place and it definately helped but still not 100%. With the mechanism off, i realized there was still a littel play in the shaft coming through the dash. I was wishfully thinking it was normal but i still get a little vibration on slow starts, not when i full throttle start. It's not a huge deal but something to drive me nuts. This did not start happening until after the dealer replaced my steering cable. Could there be a simple solution of retightening something maybe they did not get 100% tight?