Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black Smoke?

seekinasylum

So ive noticed the past few times that i boarded my boat is blowin a big cloud of black smoke when it takes off, after we pulled it out today black was all over the gel coat. it feels like a driving a diesel. any way i havent noticed any power loss so u guys think i need new plugs or ????. it only does it when we take off and there was just four people in the boat w the stock front mls full.

Black smoke/soot typically indicates that some oil is being burned.

Do you have the tools and skills to do a compression test?

Checking/replacing your plugs might be a good first step.

Check the screen inside the fuel pump, I had the same issue, spent over 1000$ in mechanics to diag and replace a bunch of stuff. Finally we found out it was the small filter screen on the fuel pump return line that was blocked. It was pumping over 100PSI in the fuel rail.

Hope this helps you out.

i always thought black was fuel not oil i have not had to add any oil at all, now i go thru fuel like crazy :cry: . ill check that fuel pump out tomorow, just reading that i would think that if it was blocked it would lower fuel pressure but i dont know much about fuel injection just that i love not havin a choke. but i guess if its gonna act up i would rather in run rich than lean.

i always thought black was fuel not oil i have not had to add any oil at all, now i go thru fuel like crazy :cry: . ill check that fuel pump out tomorow, just reading that i would think that if it was blocked it would lower fuel pressure but i dont know much about fuel injection just that i love not havin a choke. but i guess if its gonna act up i would rather in run rich than lean.

Yep black is rich....blueish is going to be oil. The fuel consumption also helps confirm. Pulling the plugs will also give you an idea if they are coated in a dry black soot also points to rich.

The real chore will be to find out WHY its running rich.

Amorin, if you had taken boat to a shop for a runability problem on a injected motor like yours. and no one originally checked fuel pressure. I WOULD BE STOPPING PAYMENT AND ASKING FOR A REFUND. I am sorry, maybe out of place saying that but that is 101 on fuel injected motor having a runability problem. I hope you had some kind of recoarse to recoop some money for someone just throwing parts to try and fix a problem.

proper way to diagnose, check for fault codes, fuel pressure test. 1. regulated,2.unregulated,3.deadhead pump. ignition system.cap rotor wires plugs,coil.dirty flame arrestor. i would be ohming out collant temp sensor,map sensor and tps.

What is the proper fuel pressure for this engine if the return line aint blocked ill check that and see what its doin

any multi port injected motor should be in the mid to high 30 s regulated a few more up to about ten more unregulated and over a 100 when pump is dead headed. but as always check owner manual or contact the dealer for specific pressure.

thanks ill borrow a pressure guage and see what its doin. my boat is an 01 w 200 hrs i think all the little gremlins are starting to pop out. my oil pressure gauge just started jumping all over the place while idleing today also so im guessin its the oil sending unit.

can i check continuity on temp sensor, where is it located on the block.

It is in the top/front of the intake manifold, has a yellow and a grey wire going to it. Readings should be 3500 ohms on a cold motor and 500 ohms at operating temperature. It is just a simple negative type therminstor, if it is not open or shorted, good chance it is still working. Normally it fails open and your ECM defaults to thinking you have a really cold engine, and it runs rich.

There are two temp senders. One for your gauge, with only one wire going to it, and one for the computer (ECM) with two wires going to it.

i pulled the temp sensor and took it to my wifes grandfather, he has some big fancy box for checkin ohm and all that. he said that its reading at 100,000 ohm but nothin in the 1000 range he heated it up it said 400,000 ohms then slowly started backing down. He thinks its bad and i hope its bad so stopped by the zone got a new one for 10 bucks im hoping tomorow it stops rollin coal.

We took the boat out today the temp sensor helped it just barely puffs black if u floor it, also i noticed some white smoke when you take off is that normal?

For your information, the fuel pressure for pre 2004 models is a nominal 40 PSI. All 2004 and newer models have a nominal fuel pressure of 60 PSI. The pre 2004 models use a vacuum controlled fuel pressure regulator so the pressure changes with RPM. We normally see 36-39 at idle, 38-42 at cruise speeds and 40-45 at WOT. The 2004 and newer models use a mechanical regulator and the pressure should be pretty constant throughout the RPM range.

Edited by Engine Nut

went back out today didnt see any smoke at all everything went smooth except for a friends wife who was trying to get a wakeboard off an she hit the side of the boat w it, it scartched it pretty bad, its always something, so guess ill be wet sanding and buffing this week. Dnt think i will invite them back on the boat. Thanks for all the help on trouble shooting.

Edited by seekinasylum