Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gauges not working properly

99 sportster

I have a 99 sportster which I love but recently I noticed when I shut the boat off the gauges all peg in the highest position. Temperature goes to 260, oil goes to 80, fuel gauge goes to full but the volt doesn't move. After I start the engine, all of the gauges seem to be working except for the volt meter, it will be at 8 volts and slowly move up to 14 volts. This will take maybe 10-15 minutes. I know the alternator is putting out 14 volts because I checked it with a volt meter. Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

I have a 99 sportster which I love but recently I noticed when I shut the boat off the gauges all peg in the highest position. Temperature goes to 260, oil goes to 80, fuel gauge goes to full but the volt doesn't move. After I start the engine, all of the gauges seem to be working except for the volt meter, it will be at 8 volts and slowly move up to 14 volts. This will take maybe 10-15 minutes. I know the alternator is putting out 14 volts because I checked it with a volt meter. Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

I had a similar problem on my old boat (turn the key half the gauges would peg, half would remain at 0), turned out to be a bad ground. I never could find the split in the wire so I just ran a new one.

I ran a ground wire from the battery negative side to the grounding bus under the dash, but the gauges are still doing the same thing. Any other thoughts??? Thanks for your time.