Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in oil

99' Sunsetter LXI.. Indmar 325hp EFI.

Water in oil. My first guess is a cracked block or blown head gasket.. But I had a 2nd thought... If the flaps on the exhaust arent working properly could water come back thru the exhaust and get in the motor? I was thinking its possible, but then again how do the newer Malibu's work that have the stainless tips on the exhaust? They are original flaps and rubber.. thank you!

99' Sunsetter LXI.. Indmar 325hp EFI.

Water in oil. My first guess is a cracked block or blown head gasket.. But I had a 2nd thought... If the flaps on the exhaust arent working properly could water come back thru the exhaust and get in the motor? I was thinking its possible, but then again how do the newer Malibu's work that have the stainless tips on the exhaust? They are original flaps and rubber.. thank you!

The rubber flaps are there to provide "some" protection from water rushing into the exhaust on sudden stops and when waves roll up against the back of the boat but many boats operate just fine without them. Personally I'd leave them in place. But I've owned three inboards, 2 with and 1 without and never had water in any of my engines.

Talking to marine mechanics.... the number one cause of water getting into the engine is leaking exhaust manifolds. Another cause that is becoming more common is corroded intake manifolds but this happens with aluminum ones exposed to salt water.

There's no reason to suspect a cracked block unless you've overheated or let it freeze due to lack of winterization. How much water are we talking about? Trace amounts or is there enough to make a "milkshake"?

A little more history might help nail down the cause.

i cant see any amount of water making it that high up with the indmar center rise manifold elbow set up.DO YOU HAVE OIL COOLER? I would pull each exhaust manifold and riser set up off AND LEAVE COMPLETE, SET THEM UP LIKE MOUNTED ON MOTOR PUT A GARDEN HOSE TO THE INPUT AND TURN THE HOSE ON AND SEE IF ANY WATER COMES IN THE EXHAUST PORT. does the engine run rough like it has water on a plug and not firing. did this thing ever go thru a freeze. give us some history

The rubber flaps are there to provide "some" protection from water rushing into the exhaust on sudden stops and when waves roll up against the back of the boat but many boats operate just fine without them. Personally I'd leave them in place. But I've owned three inboards, 2 with and 1 without and never had water in any of my engines.

Talking to marine mechanics.... the number one cause of water getting into the engine is leaking exhaust manifolds. Another cause that is becoming more common is corroded intake manifolds but this happens with aluminum ones exposed to salt water.

There's no reason to suspect a cracked block unless you've overheated or let it freeze due to lack of winterization. How much water are we talking about? Trace amounts or is there enough to make a "milkshake"?

A little more history might help nail down the cause.

Oil level shows about 1qt too much.. So a bit.. But no. It has never ran overly hot.. I've used all summer so the winterization wasnt a problem. It runs fine. But there is water in the oil for sure.

ok, if it does not run like crap and missing. then water is not getting ingested, through a intake port in the head, nor is it coming in from a manifold, so there is a intake issue or oil cooler if equipped. onl possible choices. intake manifold is either leaking at water jacket, or its corroded on the bottom with a hole in it dropping water in the valley

• 11 years later...

Was the root cause of this issue ever worked out? I have an engine that won't come up to temp. Running at 90deg f. It's been run in that state for about 2 hrs until I noticed that something was off. Checked the oil and it was milky.