Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

themalibucrew.com infirmary

skyskier

Can't leave it at that, do share! Photos? Video?

The video got deleted before I got to watch it! Pissed! I had 8 solid attempts and on the 5th one I tore the labrum, rotator cuff, and biceps tendon on the right side. Everything went when I pulled on the handle to start the rotation.I knew something was wrong, but I wanted the trick so bad I tried 3 more before common sense kicked in. Since the right shoulder was so jacked up, I switched to gainers with only the left hand on the handle for the rest of the summer. The constant jerking tore up the left too. ( I used to land with lots of slack)I had surgery on both shoulders last fall and had one done again yesterday. I did get to ride for three months this season before it went. Doc says if I hit the exercises until my shoulders look like cannon balls I won't have this problem again. My doc is a slalom skier who is also in his early 50's, so I know he gets it.

Here is the funny thing. The president of USHA ( Brad) was on the boat coaching me through the front flip that day. He was also practicing fronts that day for an upcoming comp. We are both the same age, tore up our shoulders on the same day, on the same boat, working on the same trick.

When someone asks if you would like to learn a front flip on your skyski, the correct answer is no.

You should never try a front flip while your arm is in a sling silly. :loser:

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I definitely have the photo that proves I TRIED one. :) I will need to have shoulders the size of beach balls before I try fronts again. My Doc says he has a brace that will relieve some of the strain on the shoulder when I am ready to ride again. I inquired about titanium replacement parts instead. He was not amused.

I realized a couple of years ago that I have more riding days behind me than ahead of me. That was all the inspiration I needed to try new tricks and work on going big. As long as I have a great surgeon,I'm still in the zone!

Just got back from a north trip and reading your post. Ouch!!!!! hope all goes well. Maybe we can get a Crew discount on body parts as a group I could do knees and a hip. :biggrin:

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I definitely have the photo that proves I TRIED one. :) I will need to have shoulders the size of beach balls before I try fronts again. My Doc says he has a brace that will relieve some of the strain on the shoulder when I am ready to ride again. I inquired about titanium replacement parts instead. He was not amused.

I realized a couple of years ago that I have more riding days behind me than ahead of me. That was all the inspiration I needed to try new tricks and work on going big. As long as I have a great surgeon,I'm still in the zone!

That's the attitude. Get better soon, can't tell from the pic if you're in high spirits or just high off the pain meds :lol: . I can only hope that I'll be as energetic and daring when I get to be your age (that's a long time by the way) :Tease3: .

Edited by 06vlx

As I read this on my iPhone, I am sitting in the emergency ward with what I suspect to be a broken wrist..did it go-karting last night.... I'm really hoping it's a quick heal because I take delivery of my boat in less than 3 weeks...

Right on. More power to ya. I'm not much of a fan of the surgeries & rehabs myself. I've seen a few guys have to leave the sport for bad backs, shoulders, elbows, heart & head! I'm not givin it up for a while, but I might tame it down a bit to prolong it!

Right on. More power to ya. I'm not much of a fan of the surgeries & rehabs myself. I've seen a few guys have to leave the sport for bad backs, shoulders, elbows, heart & head! I'm not givin it up for a while, but I might tame it down a bit to prolong it!

I think that's it right there. A fellow crew member that I met a few years ago brought her dad to a WOW. At the time he was in his 80's, still skiing & footing, & had recently learned to wakeboard. I received a note from her maybe a year later that he had passed on. Very sad, but the way it happened.....well it was just right. They were up snow skiing on their local hill & he had a massive heart attack on the slopes. That's how I want to go out, playing & doing the things that I enjoy right up until the very last second. He may have slowed down a bit over the years (although after meeting the guy, I'm not sure that he knew what the phrase meant), but he never stopped doing what he loved. I loved the attitude.

earlier this week at the local launch I sacrificed my shoulder keeping the boat from grinding into shore - I'm out for a couple weeks to let things heal up doctors appt on monday - no damage to the Bu' so all's well - what a stupid way to get hurt...

The video got deleted before I got to watch it! Pissed! I had 8 solid attempts and on the 5th one I tore the labrum, rotator cuff, and biceps tendon on the right side. Everything went when I pulled on the handle to start the rotation.I knew something was wrong, but I wanted the trick so bad I tried 3 more before common sense kicked in. Since the right shoulder was so jacked up, I switched to gainers with only the left hand on the handle for the rest of the summer. The constant jerking tore up the left too. ( I used to land with lots of slack)I had surgery on both shoulders last fall and had one done again yesterday. I did get to ride for three months this season before it went. Doc says if I hit the exercises until my shoulders look like cannon balls I won't have this problem again. My doc is a slalom skier who is also in his early 50's, so I know he gets it.

Here is the funny thing. The president of USHA ( Brad) was on the boat coaching me through the front flip that day. He was also practicing fronts that day for an upcoming comp. We are both the same age, tore up our shoulders on the same day, on the same boat, working on the same trick.

...Any questions???

Heal up fast!

earlier this week at the local launch I sacrificed my shoulder keeping the boat from grinding into shore - I'm out for a couple weeks to let things heal up doctors appt on monday - no damage to the Bu' so all's well - what a stupid way to get hurt...

Oh, you're only tied for the award for what people have done to save their 'Bu from running into something.

I know a guy who's wrist got folded back in half trying to stop a run-away 'Bu on a trailer.

thing things we'll endure to keep the boat in tip top shape - the bright side - if I'm out for the season I'll have plenty of time to work on the owner being in top shape... ;)