Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heavier Tiller Arm..??

oh boy, I see a rebuild in my future :cry: Another thing I forgot to mention was that I could hear the grease squishing around in there as I moved it, definitely think I have a minor issue. Anyone know of an exploded diagram of a typical setup?

oh boy, I see a rebuild in my future :cry: Another thing I forgot to mention was that I could hear the grease squishing around in there as I moved it, definitely think I have a minor issue. Anyone know of an exploded diagram of a typical setup?

Are you still having vibration problems? Are you getting play from rudder to shaft? rudder to arm? rudder to wheel? I don't have access to my boat at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I have a little play from rudder to wheel. However there is no play rudder to arm, and my vibration has gone completely even when weighted a ton and listing for surf.

Are you still having vibration problems? Are you getting play from rudder to shaft? rudder to arm? rudder to wheel? I don't have access to my boat at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I have a little play from rudder to wheel. However there is no play rudder to arm, and my vibration has gone completely even when weighted a ton and listing for surf.

There is still a little vibration in the wheel when accelerating loaded but it is much much better with the heavier tiller arm. I don't know if there's play any where else except for a slight lateral movement in the rudder itself. From researching what little information I could find on here I think there are 2 plastic sleeves and 2 or 4 o-rings that the rudder shaft rotates on, I'm assuming some or all those need replaced but I'm not sure if and where to get them.

Marine Hardware of Redmond, Wa made the rudder/bearing for mine. I googled them and got to talk to someone right away when I needed. Here is the thread:

Probably a lot cheper to replace o-rings and sleeves, but you never know. You could get the whole insert for a reasonable price. The housing appears to be the same size.

Edited by Dexter
... I noticed the other day that I could move my rudder laterally about 1/8 - 1/4" at the bottom edge.

When the last time you shot some grease in there? Use the blue waterproof trailer wheel bearing grease (or similar). The zerk fittings are on the rudder stuffing box.

When the last time you shot some grease in there? Use the blue waterproof trailer wheel bearing grease (or similar). The zerk fittings are on the rudder stuffing box.

It's full enough, I shot enough grease in there that it started oozing out the top when I winterized, about 2 pumps. Albeit I haven't tested it yet...

It's full enough, I shot enough grease in there that it started oozing out the top when I winterized, about 2 pumps. Albeit I haven't tested it yet...

I have had that solve the rudder rattle problem on several different boats.

• 1 year later...

Ok I'm just looking at adding some weight to the original so if the heavier one weighs 10.2 lbs does anyone know what the original one weighs so I can add weight accordanally.