Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heavier Tiller Arm..??

There have been numerous topics about the helm rattling/vibrating when under a load whether it's pulling up a boarder with ballast full or goosing it up onto the trailer. Many people have said this is just normal, well I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue but that doesn't make it right. I've also heard that Malibu remedies this with a heavier tiller arm. Those who have the heavier tiller arm, did it work, what are your thoughts, how much heavier it is, got any pics?

Ruffdog, how did this work out? Any improvement in rattling/vibration?

i'd bet that the heavier tiller arm just moves the frequency at which it breaks into resonance.

it may tell you something if you can add some mass to the tiller.

if you can get in there to do the work and clearance to do it safely; consider using a couple of worm clamps to add some mass (heavy metal bar)?

if your vibration goes away then the heavier tiller might be a lead pipe cinch.

i'd bet that the heavier tiller arm just moves the frequency at which it breaks into resonance.

it may tell you something if you can add some mass to the tiller.

if you can get in there to do the work and clearance to do it safely; consider using a couple of worm clamps to add some mass (heavy metal bar)?

if your vibration goes away then the heavier tiller might be a lead pipe cinch.

Ha! I was getting to that, of course I'm going to jimmyrig something up, you know me! :biggrin: But I first wanted some information on the factory heavier tiller arm....

There have been numerous topics about the helm rattling/vibrating when under a load whether it's pulling up a boarder with ballast full or goosing it up onto the trailer. Many people have said this is just normal, well I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue but that doesn't make it right. I've also heard that Malibu remedies this with a heavier tiller arm. Those who have the heavier tiller arm, did it work, what are your thoughts, how much heavier it is, got any pics?

Ruffdog, how did this work out? Any improvement in rattling/vibration?

I just had one put on my boat a couple weeks ago. It took away the vibration from up at the helm. I've been told by others however that the tiller arm is just a band aid on the bigger issue. I was told that the cause of the vibration is from the prop cavitating the rudder which would send a vibration down the steering cable up to the helm shakin the steering wheel and making a loud sound. The bigger heavier tiller arm just dampens the vibration but the cavatation issue remains. I was shown the pit marks in mu rudder and told that eventually inwould have burn marks in my gel coat as well. I was told that this is happening because Malibu used too long of a shaft and the prop is placed too close to the rudder. Hopefully this information is incorrect but it still makes you wonder. I was told this by a dealer of another name brand boat.

I installed the newer arm myself and it fixes the vibration problem. You do need to move some hoses but it's not a problem. Here is a picture of the newer Arm:

SteeringArm.jpg

The standard one is exactly the same but does not include anything left of the cinch bolt.

You can somewhat tell, but the weight is pretty big. 20lb or more.

post-7937-128284059162_thumb.jpg

I just had one put on my boat a couple weeks ago. It took away the vibration from up at the helm. I've been told by others however that the tiller arm is just a band aid on the bigger issue. I was told that the cause of the vibration is from the prop cavitating the rudder which would send a vibration down the steering cable up to the helm shakin the steering wheel and making a loud sound. The bigger heavier tiller arm just dampens the vibration but the cavatation issue remains. I was shown the pit marks in mu rudder and told that eventually inwould have burn marks in my gel coat as well. I was told that this is happening because Malibu used too long of a shaft and the prop is placed too close to the rudder. Hopefully this information is incorrect but it still makes you wonder. I was told this by a dealer of another name brand boat.

I'm glad to hear it fixed your issue but as for the rest, consider your source, I'm guessing an MC dealer...??

I installed the newer arm myself and it fixes the vibration problem. You do need to move some hoses but it's not a problem. Here is a picture of the newer Arm:

SteeringArm.jpg

The standard one is exactly the same but does not include anything left of the cinch bolt.

Awesome JP that's perfect. 20lbs is way more than I would have guessed as a counter weight!!!

I'm glad to hear it fixed your issue but as for the rest, consider your source, I'm guessing an MC dealer...??

Awesome JP that's perfect. 20lbs is way more than I would have guessed as a counter weight!!!

I would think if the arm was able to be longer it wouldn't have had to be that big, but the space is confined.

I would think if the arm was able to be longer it wouldn't have had to be that big, but the space is confined.

Did it add a little more tension in the wheel? I can easily steer mine with my pinky. What about price and did you go through your dealer for it?

What does one of those arms run cost wise?

I think they quoted about 200 from the dealer but I got mine from someone on here for less.

Did it add a little more tension in the wheel? I can easily steer mine with my pinky. What about price and did you go through your dealer for it?

I can still drive with my pinky as this is only uses Newton's Law to dampen extremely fast movement.

Edited by Jimmypooh

Are you sure your prop doesn't have a ding in it. My prop had one so small you could hardly see it. I had my prop fixed and with 2800 lbs of ballast zero vibrations.

I think they quoted about 200 from the dealer but I got mine from someone on here for less.

I can still drive with my pinky as this is only uses Newton's Law to dampen extremely fast movement.

Awesome, I think I've got this taken care of :whistle: I will post my results if I get a chance to take my boat out again this season :unsure:

NDawg----sorry I didn't get back.

Truthfully my boat had the same problem as you when I first got it. Some miracle is at hand, I don't know if it was a prop change or what but that vibration has since disappeared. Now regarding the loose steering (play in the steering shaft) and turning resistance, yes it is MUCH better. I see it as being a permanent fix.

Now I just have a little slop between the rack and pinion and unfortunately I don't see that as fixable unless I replace the cable, rack and pinion as a unit.

Edited by Ruffdog

SteeringArm.jpg

I'm kinda strange I guess but I just love parts like this. Kool part!

• 2 weeks later...

SteeringArm.jpg

:rofl: Jimmypooh needs to get in the gym :biggrin:

So I got mine today and thought I would post some pics with dimensions just in case anyone would like to try and just add weight to their existing arm some how.

post-8316-128417207391_thumb.gif

post-8316-128417207589_thumb.gif

Got this installed over the weekend, not as easy as I thought, I was in some pretty compromising postions that I would have never thought possible :crazy: For those who change this out, make sure you slip the tiller arm on the rudder shaft and the steering cable at the same time and then tighten it all up :whistle: There is one hose that I still need to move (it started raining on me) as the weight hits it when turned all the way to one side.

Ok, so the hose in the way is the inlet to the water pump from the vdrive. Anybody know how they re-routed and secured this hose?

Just take that hose off. You don't need it. :crazy:

Actually, not sure how they'd do that without some additional length or an angled fitting somewhere.

Just take that hose off. You don't need it. :crazy:

Actually, not sure how they'd do that without some additional length or an angled fitting somewhere.

I was kinda hoping Jimmypooh would chime in since he's done it. I cut that hose and put (2) 90's in it. I'll see how it fits today on my lunch break.

• 5 months later...

Knock a little dust off this topic, I noticed the other day that I could move my rudder laterally about 1/8 - 1/4" at the bottom edge. Is that a normal amount of play or should there be virtually no movement. Some one suggested the bearing(s) may need replaced and I'm wondering if that's my underlying problem and this tiller arm is just a mask....??