Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trying to repair my HDS

WakingMeHappy

Hey Crew,

I need a little help in repairing my “dreaded” HDS. I have the cover off and am trying to see where exactly it’s leaking. I have looked all through the box and can’t see where the water is leaking from. I read through other threads and can see how to make and install a bypass for the system but I would still like to know where the water is coming from.

Everything inside the box looks solid but there is water getting into the under floor when I’m sitting in the water. I thought if I could find a bad spot I could seal it with Liquid Nails. What are your thoughts?

post-2825-128279105817_thumb.jpg

You probably will never see the compromised spot. I've heard stories of some hacking the fix by gooping caulk around the box on the inside. While this might work and go the distance it's going to be awful if/when you or someone else goes back to do it again and wants to do it another way.

Edited by CTSunsetter

My HDS leaked where it makes the 45 degree turn (where the box meets the hull so to speak). Dry everything out real well inside the box and then turn a garden hose on in the bilge area. If you watch and feel carefully you should be able to see water infiltrating into the box. This is your leak area. I did this twice to confirm where mine was leaking (you could have multiple leak locations). Once identified, it is a fairly straightforward fix.

Hey Wake, This is a serious structural component of your boat. Get it fixed right. Take it to your dealer or a fiberglass man. Another factor is the structural integrity of your hull behind the prop strut. Look for stress cracks in that area. If you have stress cracks there, you need fiberglass work there as well. The whole fix costs about $1500.

My HDS leaked where it makes the 45 degree turn (where the box meets the hull so to speak). Dry everything out real well inside the box and then turn a garden hose on in the bilge area. If you watch and feel carefully you should be able to see water infiltrating into the box. This is your leak area. I did this twice to confirm where mine was leaking (you could have multiple leak locations). Once identified, it is a fairly straightforward fix.

Excellent idea. I dried everything out and put a garden hose in the bilge. A few seconds later…here comes the water. It’s actually a pretty small area so the fix won’t be that tough to do.

• 2 weeks later...

WOOHOO!!! It’s fixed. Did the fiberglass work last week and hit the water today. We were out for about 4 hours and the bilge pump never came on. That was soooo nice!!!