Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

exhaust flaps

Can anyone help me find replacement exhaust flaps for my '88 malibu skier? They are the hard plastic type with a cotter pin pivot on the top, not rubber.

Edited by jpearn

I replaced mine a few years ago. They are just ordinary marine exhaust flaps that come with a large hose clamp, 3" I believe. Discard the hose clamps and use marine epoxy to glue them in.

• 3 weeks later...

88skier is right, there not very special at all, insted you should construct your own exhaust, i made my own original design, chrome and all, and saved tons of money insted of buying it factory Yahoo.gif

• 4 months later...

Can anyone help me find replacement exhaust flaps for my '88 malibu skier?

I just ordered them from skidim.com. I am not sure if they are right but I will find out this week. I am having problems with electrical, do you have any paperwork on the boat??? If so you can email me at [email protected]. Thanks. Innocent.gif
88skier is right, there not very special at all, insted you should construct your own exhaust, i made my own original design, chrome and all, and saved tons of money insted of buying it factory Yahoo.gif

natman29,

What did you do to construct your own exhaust? I would be interested to seeing some pictures of what you have done.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help me find replacement exhaust flaps for my '88 malibu skier?

I just ordered them from skidim.com. I am not sure if they are right but I will find out this week. I am having problems with electrical, do you have any paperwork on the boat??? If so you can email me at [email protected]. Thanks. Innocent.gif

Sorry, but I just got the boat, and it doesn't have any electrical paperwork.

Did you flaps work? Mine are hard plastic with a cotter pin pivot at the top. Not the rubber type with the screw clamp.

I replaced mine a few years ago. They are just ordinary marine exhaust flaps that come with a large hose clamp, 3" I believe. Discard the hose clamps and use marine epoxy to glue them in.

Mine are hard plastic with a cotter pin pivot at the top. Not the rubber type with the screw clamp.

I've got a set coming in for a customer, and can order another set if you like.

Peter

Peter,

Can you send me a picture of them? What would the total cost be(material + shipping) delivered to Michigan?

Thanks for your reply,

john

Ahh yes those stupid flaps that they put on the mid to late 80's Skier. Those things are crap! I'm talking about the ones with the plastic hinges and cotter pin holding them to the boat. I had these also on my 87Skier and they fell off; even the new ones I put on. The worst part is they don't even work. The flaps are supposed to stay closed over the exhaust holes and only open when the exhaust pushes them open while the engine is running. These old flaps don't have any tension on them to keep them closed and if you look at them under water you will notice they even float. Basically they are worthless. You really have two options to fix this. The first is purchase through hull exhaust ports that accomodate the hose clamp style exhaust flaps which would not work on the 88Skier as is since there are no exhaust pipes protruding from the stern to clamp the flaps to. These ports and flaps can be purchased at www.skidim.com for around $100. The second option is what I did and only the clamp on flaps need to be purchased ($35). The exhaust holes are the perfect size to tap in a short piece of 4 inch gray pvc pipe into. You need about a foot of 4 inch pvc and some waterproof Gorrilla Glue. Just cut a piece of pipe long enough to go into the hole 2 or 3 inches and protrude from the hole about an inch or so. Put glue on the pipe and tamp it slowly into the hole with a rubber mallet until it stops. Then clamp the flaps on. I used 4 inch flaps and cut pieces of rubber out of the clamp ring until it fit perfectly. There is no way the pipes will come out and it looks professional. Don't worry about heat since it is a wet exhaust and this glue practically welds plastic together. This probably took me about an hour to complete and was a simple fix.

Ahh yes those stupid flaps that they put on the mid to late 80's Skier. Those things are crap! I'm talking about the ones with the plastic hinges and cotter pin holding them to the boat. I had these also on my 87Skier and they fell off; even the new ones I put on. The worst part is they don't even work. The flaps are supposed to stay closed over the exhaust holes and only open when the exhaust pushes them open while the engine is running. These old flaps don't have any tension on them to keep them closed and if you look at them under water you will notice they even float. Basically they are worthless. You really have two options to fix this. The first is purchase through hull exhaust ports that accomodate the hose clamp style exhaust flaps which would not work on the 88Skier as is since there are no exhaust pipes protruding from the stern to clamp the flaps to. These ports and flaps can be purchased at www.skidim.com for around $100. The second option is what I did and only the clamp on flaps need to be purchased ($35). The exhaust holes are the perfect size to tap in a short piece of 4 inch gray pvc pipe into. You need about a foot of 4 inch pvc and some waterproof Gorrilla Glue. Just cut a piece of pipe long enough to go into the hole 2 or 3 inches and protrude from the hole about an inch or so. Put glue on the pipe and tamp it slowly into the hole with a rubber mallet until it stops. Then clamp the flaps on. I used 4 inch flaps and cut pieces of rubber out of the clamp ring until it fit perfectly. There is no way the pipes will come out and it looks professional. Don't worry about heat since it is a wet exhaust and this glue practically welds plastic together. This probably took me about an hour to complete and was a simple fix.

Great idea! I'm going to follow your lead exactly, as I would prefer not to remove the ports.

Thanks so much!

The flaps are $14.50 each, I'd guess shipping to be $10 or so.

Peter

Thanks fo rthe info, but I am going to follow the suggestion of another member and retrofit rubber flap instead.

Maybe my flaps had been replaced before we got the boat but, my Skier had the ordinary rubber flaps. One blew out after owning a few years. All I have is stock looking Malibu plastic exhaust flanges in the transom. The ordinary rubber flaps fit in them perectly. I used black marine epoxy to glue them in. Real easy fix.