Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Calibrating the speedometer

Hello,

I cannot find instructions on calibrating my speedometer in the booklet Malibu gave me when I purchased my 2006 Response LX. I would like to calibrate it using a GPS device, but not sure what to do at the dash. Help?

Thank you!

Does your '06 have the two rocker switches on the dash...one labeled Pickup and one labeled Adjust?

If it does, 'pickup' switches between the two speedos, left and right.... and 'adjust' will move the needle for the selected speedo.

Does your '06 have the two rocker switches on the dash...one labeled Pickup and one labeled Adjust?

No, I do not have any rocker switches labeled either Pickup or Adjust. Other suggestions?

This is what my manual has for calibrating speed (this is for a boat with a Malibu Graphical In-Dash Display; not the Malivue):

The speed can be calibrated manually when the boat speed is between 15 and 36 MPH. To calibrate, scroll through the display menu to MPH/RPM. Press and hold the "E (Enter)" to enter. Highlight MPH and use arrow buttons to adjust speed UP or DOWN. Press "E (Enter)" to exit. The MPH mode is all that can be recalibrated.

I used a handheld GPS to check speed and recalibrated the speedo at different speeds: 15, 20, 25, 30, and 35. I held the speed (based on the GPS) for about 10 seconds and then adjusted the speedo to match. It's a good idea to have calm water to easily keep speed and a dedicated driver to adjust speed based on the GPS and watch the water. The other person can make the speedo adjustments. It took me all of 10 minutes to calibrate.

Hope this helps!

This is what my manual has for calibrating speed (this is for a boat with a Malibu Graphical In-Dash Display; not the Malivue):

The speed can be calibrated manually when the boat speed is between 15 and 36 MPH. To calibrate, scroll through the display menu to MPH/RPM. Press and hold the "E (Enter)" to enter. Highlight MPH and use arrow buttons to adjust speed UP or DOWN. Press "E (Enter)" to exit. The MPH mode is all that can be recalibrated.

I used a handheld GPS to check speed and recalibrated the speedo at different speeds: 15, 20, 25, 30, and 35. I held the speed (based on the GPS) for about 10 seconds and then adjusted the speedo to match. It's a good idea to have calm water to easily keep speed and a dedicated driver to adjust speed based on the GPS and watch the water. The other person can make the speedo adjustments. It took me all of 10 minutes to calibrate.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Thanks so much, I'm betting this is exactly what I need to do. I appreciate your help!

Happy Skiing!

• 1 year later...

I just bought a 99 SS LXI it has the manual speedo adjustment on dash. there was about a 3 mph difference between left and right. How do I know which is accurate? No gps. Can i match rpms to mph? I have the 325hp Monsoon. It did seem a little fast when my wife was pulling me at the speed I like. So I adjusted the high one down. Have not skied yet since.

With the standard prop on this boat I believe that

Roughly 3000 RPM = 30 mph

3100 RPM = 31 mph

etc.

I have used an app on the iphone called "Dashboard" which displays the speed the iphone is traveling and it is pretty much dead on so I drive the boat with the tach and don't pay much attention to the speedo.

Edited by Bozboat

tkowalski: If you felt "fast" for the speed being pulled, you need to adjust the slow one up as adjusting the fast one down will have your driver now go a bit faster to get the speed you ask for. For your question, you need some way to compare either another boat, gps, time to distance to determine the actual speed of the boat. Also, if you are skiing in colder water, it will feel fast, warmer water feels slower.