Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another new Bu owner

Javabean

Hi all, Really enjoy the forum, I've beeen reading it quite a bit since i bought my boat in February. 05 VLX, I love the boat!

When i bought it there was no engine in it but I had a brand new Monsoon long block installed as a condition of the sale, unfortunately on July 3rd the motor threw a rod after 0nly about 20 hrs. :( The engine came with a one year warranty but apparently Indmar only covers the parts not the labor. I have come to learn that the previous motor also threw a rod :unsure: Probably just coincidence , but wow..

Anyway the last 5 1/2 weeks have been frustrating to say the least, but hopefully it will end well.I am open to advice if anyone has some words of wisdom for me

Once again, thank to all for the interesting insight, this forum has supplied me with a wealth of information..

JB

Welcome to the Crew officially. I'm on my second Monsoon and they've been rock solid, so wow that's really strange. Once things are worked out this will just be a blimp in time, but frustrating now I'm sure.

what caused the motor to throw a rod?

is the oil pump part of the long block or is it from the old engine?

I believe the oil pump comes with the long block, oil pressure or temperature were never an issue, in fact the boat ran very well until the incident, i was on plane doing approx 20 mph when it went.. very strange..

First off welcome to the Crew! :welcome:

Very srange to have that kind of problem twice... I could see it if you rebuilt the motor or used some of the same parts but it doesn't sound like that's the case. Maybe "three's a charm" Good luck and enjoy the rest of your summer.

When we bought our boat it had 220 hours and the previous owner had the oil changed and the boat winterized and we bought it early spring. At hour 247 the engine threw a rod while we were in Powell at dusk. We never figured out what went wrong because we had enough oil and the temperature was good. I checked the oil right before we went out that afternoon. The only thing we can think of is that it had the wrong type of oil in there. 2 years later the boat has 470 hours and it is running fine aside from some fuel delivery problems which I hope are behind us now. Well at least yours threw a rod at 20 hours instead of 70 next year when it was out of warranty.