Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing With a Sunscape

ChuckW

I'm new to surfing and need some input in setting up my 08 21 Sunscape for some occasional surfing. I have a manual wedge but no ballast and with 10 people in the boat my friends son was able to surf (regular) but I couldn't go ropeless(goofy) with his 5'11" Landlock. I'm looking at a sack for the ski locker and one for the rear for now. Can I squeeze the 1,000 sack in the rear or is 750 the max ? Is the Landlock the right board for the smaller wave ? (most folks using the board are between 170 and 190 lbs)

Thanks !

Chuck

That hull with a Wedge and 750 lb sack is what I learned behind. The wave was REALLY short but big and steep. You should really consider putting some weight in the bow as well to lengthen the wave.

we surfed my 02 21 sunscape alot (different hull). It needs LOTS of weight, but the wave is very good. Surfing on the drivers side never worked out well... For normal surfing, put a 750 in the surf side locker at a minumum, and get some weight up in the bow (3 people or another sack on the surf side seat).

We figured that in order to get a decent wave we needed a minimum of 1000 pounds (people or ballast) in the back third of the boat (in or on lockers) + 500 in the bow + 400 on surf side seats + wedge to get a minimally surfable wake. Ideally we'd put a 750 in the locker + 500 under surf side seats + a 750 in the bow + wedge + 10 or 15 people all crammed on the surf side of the boat, heavier people on the lockers, lighter girls crammed in the bow on the tank or on the passenger side bench.

Hope this helps,

Chad

Wow Chadwick. Got pics of that wake? I'm 6'5" and have a nearly waist-high wake with 600 lbs in the locker, 4-500 lbs under the side seats, and 500 in the bow, with wedge and about 4-5 people on board.

Wow Chadwick. Got pics of that wake? I'm 6'5" and have a nearly waist-high wake with 600 lbs in the locker, 4-500 lbs under the side seats, and 500 in the bow, with wedge and about 4-5 people on board.

I agree with Chad. I read all about surfing with only a wedge, etc...but on my 2000 Wakesetter Escape (a sunsetter with a wedge)I have a wedge, 1000lb bag in the engine locker, 400lb under the mid seat area, and 750lb in the bow. This produces a great wave not too steep that makes it very easy for first timers to learn on. I was very frustrated until I added the bow weight. It made all the differance in the world. I can surf with myself and one surfer, sometimes a nice change from a packed boat. :) No bow weight= steep wave that looks impressive,however, nearly impossible for a beginner to surf IMO.

Agreed, the bow weight is a must. Like I said, I learned on the hull the OP has with about 1000 lbs in the locker and wedge. The wake was steep, but I had to keep the nose of the board within a foot of the platform or I was out of the pocket. And I generally agree that more weight is better, but with the 1400 or so pounds total I use, distributed along the surf side, I have no problem keeping up with the boat while doing tricks at 240 lbs.

I'm new to surfing and need some input in setting up my 08 21 Sunscape for some occasional surfing. I have a manual wedge but no ballast and with 10 people in the boat my friends son was able to surf (regular) but I couldn't go ropeless(goofy) with his 5'11" Landlock. I'm looking at a sack for the ski locker and one for the rear for now. Can I squeeze the 1,000 sack in the rear or is 750 the max ? Is the Landlock the right board for the smaller wave ? (most folks using the board are between 170 and 190 lbs)

Thanks !

Chuck

I'm no surfing expert, but I've followed the recommendations of those that are, and with

my '06 Sunscape, I put a 750# Fat Sac on the surf-side in the rear storage, a 400# Fat

Sac in the bow [hedging to the surf-side], and another 400# Fat Sac either on the rear

bench on the surf-side or on top of the 750# sac in the rear storage, depending

upon how many people are on the boat/how much seating area I need.

I can surf ropeless with just the driver, if I've got my Fat Sacs and have the wedge down, using a

big Broadcast. More people on board is a bonus, but not a necessity.

Edited by srab

I'm no surfing expert, but I've followed the recommendations of those that are, and with

my '06 Sunscape, I put a 750# Fat Sac on the surf-side in the rear storage, a 400# Fat

Sac in the bow [hedging to the surf-side], and another 400# Fat Sac either on the rear

bench on the surf-side or on top of the 750# sac in the rear storage, depending

upon how many people are on the boat/how much seating area I need.

I can surf ropeless with just the driver, if I've got my Fat Sacs and have the wedge down, using a

big Broadcast. More people on board is a bonus, but not a necessity.

Similar setup here ('05 21lsv)

Bow 350#

Midship 650# Bag filled (not sure if this is truely filling to 650)

Rear Surf Side 750# filled (not sure if this is truely filling to 750)

NO wedge

No problems surfing with just driver and spotter. more weight or people is better as mentioned. I'm not sure the 1000# bag from Fly High will provide additinal ballast in the rear locker although I could be wrong. The 750 fills my locker with the exception of some height left to be filled. Bow weight is required to get enough length to have fun on.

Thanks everyone for the info ! It looks like I'll be adding some bow ballast to the mix and go with a 750 for the rear, whatever I can fit in the ski locker and 300 - 450 lbs for the bow.

Thanks Again

Chuck