Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water in trans

Hey, been lurking. looking at at 1995 malibu 350 chev. to buy yesterday and the trans fluid looked like a milkshake

i think it might have water in it. should i stay away? I told the guy if he had it serviced by a tech and they said that the trans was ok that i may still be in....I need help please. the hag

Hey, been lurking. looking at at 1995 malibu 350 chev. to buy yesterday and the trans fluid looked like a milkshake

i think it might have water in it. should i stay away? I told the guy if he had it serviced by a tech and they said that the trans was ok that i may still be in....I need help please. the hag

Yes.

Welcome to the board!! Have the trans oil replaced and take it for a spin, if it looks bad after that you have some real problems that you don't need. It may just be the boat was not treated well in any case you might still have a problem down the road. Unless it's dirt cheap, look away and find something else.

Thanks, I dont think 11k is dirt cheep. Could water of gotten in through the dip stick? also I thought that the trans was loud, i know they whine a little, just dont know how loud a little is...

Thanks, I dont think 11k is dirt cheep. Could water of gotten in through the dip stick? also I thought that the trans was loud, i know they whine a little, just dont know how loud a little is...

That's why you should test drive a few more boats.

My tranny fluid looked like strawberry milk right when I bought it. Changed it and put 90 trouble free hours on it so far (although last time out it did sound a little louder than usual :unsure: ) Don't be in a hurry to buy, you're in the right place, I wish I would have found the crew before I bought!! :werule:

Edited by Ndawg12

Ok, First thanks, I will keep looking, and hope to find the right malibu for my 9 yr old girl. I have a son in the NAVY... and have a 25yr old Hydrostream with a 2.5 (280hp merc) that runs 101mph on gps/that I have owned for 21 yrs. . I need something to pull the little one around the lake with. Wait, I need a boat that i can climb back into after I get done.....I hope to keep in touch...Craigs list is the only thing I have...any help there. I live in Dallas,Tx....The Hag

I had a similar situation on my current boat. When I first bought it after 40 or so hours, happened to check the fluid and found that lovely strawberry milkshake color on the stick. Ended up being just a cut o-ring on the cooler. Trans was replaced under warranty due to the fact that the friction material inside the trans is bonded to the plates with a waterbased glue. But to that same tune, I never noticed any ill operation in those first 40-50 hours. If the rest of the boat is in good shape, check it out well, I would use that as a bargaining tool that it may end up needing a trans. Might be able to knock a few k of the price and make out in the end. It's more work to get the trans out than it is to actually rebuild one. There ain't much too them.

I had a similar situation on my current boat. When I first bought it after 40 or so hours, happened to check the fluid and found that lovely strawberry milkshake color on the stick. Ended up being just a cut o-ring on the cooler. Trans was replaced under warranty due to the fact that the friction material inside the trans is bonded to the plates with a waterbased glue. But to that same tune, I never noticed any ill operation in those first 40-50 hours. If the rest of the boat is in good shape, check it out well, I would use that as a bargaining tool that it may end up needing a trans. Might be able to knock a few k of the price and make out in the end. It's more work to get the trans out than it is to actually rebuild one. There ain't much too them.