Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Remove towe for storage??

Curious - Do many of you guys remove your towers for indoor storage. I have a flipping 8' garage door, and no way I can get it in (Skylon Swoop). I'm paying about $150 a month for indoor storage right now, I'd like to save that and bring it home (have a 3-car garage).

Tower feels pretty heavy with speakers and bimini attached - suppose I could strip all that stuff. How many people does it usually take you to do it? Any problems/issues/things to watch out for?

Thanks!

Tim

Curious - Do many of you guys remove your towers for indoor storage. I have a flipping 8' garage door, and no way I can get it in (Skylon Swoop). I'm paying about $150 a month for indoor storage right now, I'd like to save that and bring it home (have a 3-car garage).

Tower feels pretty heavy with speakers and bimini attached - suppose I could strip all that stuff. How many people does it usually take you to do it? Any problems/issues/things to watch out for?

Thanks!

Tim

Are you talking about collapsing the tower or actually taking it off the boat. There are lots of people who collapse the tower to fit it in storage on here. In fact there was a thread talking about garage door height and collapsed tower height. There was also discussion about how to get the last few inches out to get the highest point as low as possible.

Are you talking about collapsing the tower or actually taking it off the boat. There are lots of people who collapse the tower to fit it in storage on here. In fact there was a thread talking about garage door height and collapsed tower height. There was also discussion about how to get the last few inches out to get the highest point as low as possible.

Sorry! Actually REMOVING the tower. No way I can get it in folded.......

I would think your boat would make it into a garage with an 8' opening. From the picture in your profile, it looks like your boat is about a 2003 with the swoop. I just sold a very similar boat. I too have an 8' door and was able to put the boat in the garage by just folding the tower down. I would stack about 4 of the floating cushions (the ones with the straps) on the front of my ski pylon by wrapping the straps around the pylon. I would then let the tower rest on the pads. Worked great. No damage to the tower or my boat. Sat that way all winter. Give it a shot, I think it will work.

Edited by Roselaw1

I have a 7ft , 2 car garage and can fit my 01' 21ft wakesetter into the garage not much room for much else but it fits.

what trailer do you have mine is SBT which sits lower than some trailers..

I have a S/A Boat Mate riding on fat 225/75/15 tires. They are almost touching the fender - so zero room to lower the torsion axle. I need about 4-5 inches to get the boat in with the tower folded. Boat is a 2005 WS VLX, Skylon Swoop II....

I think that we need a picture, as the one in your profile appears to not be accurate compared with what you're describing.

Our '04 had a Swoop with which we had the same issues at the house that we were in when we first bought it. We removed the top portion each time we put it away. No speakers, but a bimini & 4 racks on it. It's a 2 person job for sure. I'm not the strongest, but I can hold my own compared with most women & it was doable between the 2 of us. It won't get done by one person, & with tower speakers......not sure that I'd want to try that.

I think that we need a picture, as the one in your profile appears to not be accurate compared with what you're describing.

Our '04 had a Swoop with which we had the same issues at the house that we were in when we first bought it. We removed the top portion each time we put it away. No speakers, but a bimini & 4 racks on it. It's a 2 person job for sure. I'm not the strongest, but I can hold my own compared with most women & it was doable between the 2 of us. It won't get done by one person, & with tower speakers......not sure that I'd want to try that.

You are right - I have a 2004 (not 2005)

I have to remove our tower before I can get into our 7' garage. It's really annoying. I have my 14yo son help me, but I really wish I could just flop the tower down. It's not a "collapsible" tower, not sure of brand even. From what I've read, it seems like my best bet is to go with a completely new collapsible tower, but I'm not too anxious to spend the $$ for that now. I have a 2000 Sunsetter LXi on a DHM trailer. Love everything except the tower, but even that is really well made.

You are not going to want to hear this... but

I have an 8' garage door I built specifically for the boat and my '04VLX with a TITAN II fits with about an inch to spare. I have to use the lift off racks and I rest the rear hoop on a 2"PVC stand I built, but it works with 1 person.

Is it hitting the door or the building? If it is hitting the door itself, a GOOD roll up guy can usually get you more clearance by using different track and reconfiguring track.

Another option may be to replace your tower... Titan T-1s are cheap, (if still available...) T-1 is my fav tower anyway..

Good luck!

Get a nice cover, put on a few coats of wax, and leave it out during the summer months.

Early/late season it's a PITA cause we have to put it back in the garage after each use due to the rain. In the summer it stays out all the time. In the winter it never leaves the garage and the tower sits in front of the boat.