Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vibration in boat

I was slowly motoring away from the dock this week and I managed to hit the prop on a log on the bottom. Sounded awful. Now I have a slight vibration in the boat at cruising speed. When I inspected the prop today it looks perfect except for a tiny ding the size of a pen tip on one blade. Could that be it or could I have slightly bent a blade and not detect it visually? Could it be a shaft alignment issue? If so how do I check that? And most importantly, since I don't have a spare and we are in the last few weeks of the season could I just run it this way until I winterize without permanently damaging anything?

Thanks

AW

I was slowly motoring away from the dock this week and I managed to hit the prop on a log on the bottom. Sounded awful. Now I have a slight vibration in the boat at cruising speed. When I inspected the prop today it looks perfect except for a tiny ding the size of a pen tip on one blade. Could that be it or could I have slightly bent a blade and not detect it visually? Could it be a shaft alignment issue? If so how do I check that? And most importantly, since I don't have a spare and we are in the last few weeks of the season could I just run it this way until I winterize without permanently damaging anything?

Thanks

AW

Sorry to say you can't run it that way without causing more damage. I think what I would do in this case is remove the prop and take it in to a repair shop. They can straighten and balance the prop. While your there bite the bullet and get a spare so there is no time lost.

Put on your new prop and make sure the vibration went away....if not you will have other issues, bent strut, bent shaft etc.

I would have to pull the boat to change the prop so I never had a spare. I figured if something happened to it I would be headed to the prop shop anyway. The only difference is lost time on the water. Now I need to get a spare so that I can enjoy the last few weeks of the season.

Two hour drive each way to prop shop. I am just assuming that it is the prop of course. Any way of determining that? If not who would you suggest ordering a new prop from and who do you send your prop to for repair? The shop up here is very small and often not open.

Two hour drive each way to prop shop. I am just assuming that it is the prop of course. Any way of determining that? If not who would you suggest ordering a new prop from and who do you send your prop to for repair? The shop up here is very small and often not open.

You can check the shaft for run out if you have a dial indicator.

You can check the shaft for run out if you have a dial indicator.

No dial indicator. I know what one is but not perfectly sure how to use it.

To clarify what I just said a bit more what I meant was where and how do you mount the dial indicator to determine run out? I can borrow a friends indicator which has a magnetic base.

To clarify what I just said a bit more what I meant was where and how do you mount the dial indicator to determine run out? I can borrow a friends indicator which has a magnetic base.

The clamp style would be the way to go. But maybe you could rig something up off of the trailer?

Does anyone have a spec on the max run out? Be sure to check in in several locations.

Awest.

A quick shady tree mechanic test would be to put a small black dot on end of the prop shaft right in the center.

Turn the prop by hand and see of that dot "walks". Meaning, goes around in an oval, the dot should stay dead centered. This is not however a for sure test.

If it walks, you probably have a bent shaft. If not, probably not. I've dinged my prop twice on wood and it didn't damage the shaft, only the prop.

you can try to get the ding out yourself with a big crescent wrench. If you get the vibration out, you win. If the vibration is still there, the prop repair cost is still $100.