Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Little Red V-Drive Light

cmb

I bought my 2003 23LSV Wakesetter in March; Love the boat, and other than not being able to find parts to fix the depth finder, I've had no trouble with the boat at all.

A few weeks ago I discovered a ground wire disconnected from the V-Drive, at the time I didn't know what it was, it was bundled into the wires coming from the the depth finder transciever so I connected it hoping it would fix my depthfinder,,, no luck. I noticed no change in the boat at the time and left it connected and forgot about it.

Well this weekend my wife noticed the little red light in the cockpit was on, V-Drive Oil Pressure Low Light. Slowly motoring to the marina I thought I detected some binding in the transmission,,, I now think (hope) I imagined it.

This morning I disconnected the wire and sure enough the light went out. Turns out either the Malibu dealer I bought the boat from or the previous owner disconnected the wire in order to disable the light:(

Given the fact that I've put about 100 hours on it this summer with no issues,,, what should I do now? What generates oil pressure in the V-Drive? Am I destroying the transmission if I run the boat?

Some of you smart Malibu guys give me your recommendations please :biggrin: