Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop shaft seal drip rate issue

I have adjusted the prop shaft seal ~ 2x each year. When I have it "right" it drips about 1x every 3-4 seconds when the shaft is spinning (with the boat just into gear) and then does not drip at all once the boat has been sitting for a few hours without running.

This past week I readjusted the seal several times but can't get it to behave that way. It is either too tight (no drips even when the shaft is spinning) or too loose (drips ~ 1x every 6-8 seconds after sitting overnight).

Does anyone have any advice?

I have adjusted the prop shaft seal ~ 2x each year. When I have it "right" it drips about 1x every 3-4 seconds when the shaft is spinning (with the boat just into gear) and then does not drip at all once the boat has been sitting for a few hours without running.

This past week I readjusted the seal several times but can't get it to behave that way. It is either too tight (no drips even when the shaft is spinning) or too loose (drips ~ 1x every 6-8 seconds after sitting overnight).

Does anyone have any advice?

Sounds like the packing has gotten to hard and needs to be replaced.

Yep. And go with the Gore packing when you do it.

How do you know when the Gore packing is the right tightness? My understanding is that is does not drip at all.

I kept it a bit loose for a bit to let it work itself in and that it would drip a bit. I then just tightened it up an 1/8 a turn at a time after that until it stopped.

Mike

I kept it a bit loose for a bit to let it work itself in and that it would drip a bit. I then just tightened it up an 1/8 a turn at a time after that until it stopped.

Mike

I have ordered the Gore Tex packing.

My BU is at the dock in the water. How long can I probably wait to do the replacement? I am on vacation and we have some friends coming to stay with us tomorrow. We were planning to get ~ 10-15 hours of engine time in between now and Sunday. Right now the seal is leaking about 1 drop every 3-4 seconds after the boat has sat for a while.

turn off the engine after running hard, feel the shaft and packing. If hot - bad. If not - fine.

Exactly.

Leaking 1 drop every 3-4 seconds is OK, provided your bilge pump works and your battery is in decent shape Have fun this weekend.

turn off the engine after running hard, feel the shaft and packing. If hot - bad. If not - fine.

+1 on this advice. Too much is made of drip rates.

Yep. And go with the Gore packing when you do it.

Gore?!? Man, first he invents the Internet, then he wins a Nobel Prize and now he wants to control drip rate! :rant:

OK, sorry for the highjack. I'm finished now. :tomato: