Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing behind a 1995 Echelon LX

dutchtouch

Hey All,

Newbie here. I am looking to buy my first boat (on a limited teacher budget). One of the things that I would love to do behind my "new" boat is wake surf. The boat that I am currently negotiating over is a 1995 Malibu Echelon LX. Has anyone tried to wake surf behind this boat? and if so, what kind of ballasts, etc were needed to accomplish this? Any info is helpful...until a week ago, I did not know a stern drive from a direct drive ;)

Hey All,

Newbie here. I am looking to buy my first boat (on a limited teacher budget). One of the things that I would love to do behind my "new" boat is wake surf. The boat that I am currently negotiating over is a 1995 Malibu Echelon LX. Has anyone tried to wake surf behind this boat? and if so, what kind of ballasts, etc were needed to accomplish this? Any info is helpful...until a week ago, I did not know a stern drive from a direct drive ;)

Check this out

Not the same exact boat but it can be done! :rockon:

Amarfanhar surfs behind his '93 Echelon LX, same boat. Pretty sure it's a sac in the ski locker, then the L shape behind the engine and on one side, wedge down, and a couple of guys.

Hope your puchase goes thru, it's a great boat! Gonna set mine up for surfing next year.

Edited by Michigan boarder

It can be done. But after a while... I would now prefer to surf behind a bigger boat. I have taken water over the back surf side which we weigh down. This happened with 8 young men in the back corner. We had a wall of water come in on the back surf side with too much weight. The wave was good but not as big as my good buddies VLX with stock ballast and my 750lbs. fat sac.

I usually surf with 750 under the back seat and 2 450's on the surf side... Be careful!! My rub rail is submurged. I am pushing it. The more weight the bigger, better, and more sticky the wave.

Have fun! Echelons are sweet boats!!

• 5 years later...

I have a 94 Malibu Echelon with 454.  

Bought the Liquid Force Fish Wakesurfer (With Surf Rope And DVD from Overtons for $237 plus tax) and tried to learn how to wakesurf.  GetIting up on the board is easy and we all had fun learning.  But getting a wake good enough for any of us to surf without the rope was almost impossible, though I'm sure someone who is good at it could probably do it.  With a couple of fellows in the back corner I was able to find a sweet spot and let go of the rope but only for a about 30 seconds.  Without any ballast, wake is to small, at least for beginners.  Pulled out the bench and placed about 500-lbs of rock bags just in front of the gas tank.  Wake got to be a little better, but still not good enough for us beginners and the weight just seemed to be too hard on the boat, water started to roll over the rear corner.

I'm now looking into the different wakesurf shaper add-ons to help the wake.   The $600 one on Overton's seems intriguing, but I would like to see that someone has proven success using some configuration of a shaper on the market with an Echelon.

Other ideas and experiences are welcome!