Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vent on back of the boat?

GRGKng

Alright guys, I made a pretty nice wake today, by putting a 750 in the rear locker, and two 550 on the seats, and a 400 close to the bow. This made the wake big, but still not as long as I'd like it, and also I noticed the vent on the side is under water, is this a bad thing(I believe its some sort of intake?)?

Thanks!

Which vent is that? I only see the two on the back corners of the boat? I think I read some where that people put tape over the vents to remedy this issue? It seems rather hard to get a good wave behind the VLX.

You def. don't want water getting in the large mesh vents. That goes right into your bilge.

But, you really don't want water getting in the fuel vent. That will ruin your gas.

I've heard of guys turning the vent so that the opening is facing up. I've also heard of guys taping off the vent but, that's not a good idea for a long time. (IMHO I'd only leave it taped for about a 1/2 hr. at a time then, take the tape off and let her breath. Maybe while changing riders?)

Anyway, this is not my boat (unfortunately), I just grabbed it out of some member's gallery. The vent could be on either side of the boat and just about any location towards the rear but, it always looks the same. It is sort of clam shell shaped and has a hole in the bottom.

gallery_13067_675_153332.jpg

Which vent is that? I only see the two on the back corners of the boat? I think I read some where that people put tape over the vents to remedy this issue? It seems rather hard to get a good wave behind the VLX.

Seriously? she is about 20 feet behind the boat and she rides without the wedge and on a phase 5 scamp.

Shawnasurfin-1.jpg

You def. don't want water getting in the large mesh vents. That goes right into your bilge.

But, you really don't want water getting in the fuel vent. That will ruin your gas.

I've heard of guys turning the vent so that the opening is facing up. I've also heard of guys taping off the vent but, that's not a good idea for a long time. (IMHO I'd only leave it taped for about a 1/2 hr. at a time then, take the tape off and let her breath. Maybe while changing riders?)

Anyway, this is not my boat (unfortunately), I just grabbed it out of some member's gallery. The vent could be on either side of the boat and just about any location towards the rear but, it always looks the same. It is sort of clam shell shaped and has a hole in the bottom.

It is easier to just crack the fuel cap to let air into the fuel tank than to take the tape of the vent and re-tape.

Edited by Cervelo

It is easier to just crack the fuel cap to let air into the fuel tank than to take the tape of the vent and re-tape.

That's a good idea. Crack the cap on the non-surf side.

Cervelo, whats your set up to get that wake?

Thanks looks sick!

that setup was before we got the 1100 for the trunk. i don't use the 750 on the seat anymore.

that setup was a 750 in the trunk, 750 on the seat, tube sac under the seat, left stock ballast full, center full and front full.

Seriously? she is about 20 feet behind the boat and she rides without the wedge and on a phase 5 scamp.

Shawnasurfin-1.jpg

Is she rockin the shuswap in that pic???

Edited by Koop

gallery_13067_675_153332.jpg

Pete, I think you have a pic with an arrow to go with about everything. :)

Thanks for all the advice thus far. So I've got it to where my rub rail will sit about 1-3 inches above water, however when I start going water is just over the top of the fuel vent, from my understanding this is bad and is an issue?

It does this with a 750 in the rear left locker, a 400lb ontop of the seats and a 400 up front on the bow, I dont understand how you can get away with 750 in the rear locker with another 750 ontop of the seats and also a tube sac under the seats? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

however when I start going water is just over the top of the fuel vent, from my understanding this is bad and is an issue?

Read the second line in post #4

Got it, thanks, but I am just trying to figure out people are getting these huge wakes with lots of weight without having that issue with water getting into that vent

lol, thanks, so maybe just get some duck tape and duck tape the fuel vent up real good along with the bilge vent? Sorry, my posts probably seem redundant, i just want to make sure im doing it right.

lol, thanks, so maybe just get some duck tape and duck tape the fuel vent up real good along with the bilge vent? Sorry, my posts probably seem redundant, i just want to make sure im doing it right.

I have surfed the same set up for several years(including have 6-8 people on board) and have never had any watercome in the rear vents. Plus I have the fuel vent turned towards the back(at about the 4 o'clock position) and have never had fuel/water issues. :thumbup:

Just don't ask me about my fuel/water issues on the houseboat... :Frustrated: But it's all better now thanks to aquadisiac.