Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gauges???

TifandPeteVan

Need some help with a 2000 Sunsetter LXi, here is my story.... Alternator was showing low voltage, had alternator rebuilt, first time I started it boat ran like a champ..EXCEPT I had no gauges...nothing...no fuel, speed, voltage, RPM, nothing, NADA, zip. i just went to pull it out of the lake to troubleshoot, started it up everything works, no problems, all gauges read normally. Has anybody had an MDC that works intermittently? Or is there a ground that I should know about? Boat is out of the lake, great time to do some maintenance....any ideas?

MDC control units are known to fail. Especially your era boat (same as mine).

#1 cause is the pitot tubes get water in them that makes it's way to the MDC control unit=instant death.

As far as your on-and-off description, I have heard that there are two in-line fuses buried somewhere inside the wiring harness that goes to the MDC. Cut all the tape away and look for them. You might have corroded contacts there. They are old skool glass fuses (I think) that would be in a plastic cylinder.

MDC control units are known to fail. Especially your era boat (same as mine).

#1 cause is the pitot tubes get water in them that makes it's way to the MDC control unit=instant death.

As far as your on-and-off description, I have heard that there are two in-line fuses buried somewhere inside the wiring harness that goes to the MDC. Cut all the tape away and look for them. You might have corroded contacts there. They are old skool glass fuses (I think) that would be in a plastic cylinder.

I agree with Pete on most accounts. Definitely look for the fuses. IIRC there are two hot lines, one purple another red, maybe with stripes (sorry my paperwork on this is in the boat). The fuses are the old automotive / glass tube style. They may even look good but have failed as mine did. Couple of bucks at Radio Shack and you may be back in business. Let us know what you find.

Well, thanks for the speedy reply. For the life of me I could not find those fuses.... but now I can't get it to blank out again. However the other issue I have now is that I can't get my hours gauge to turn off. boat is out of the water not running but my hours are still ticking away.