Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When were there hull changes for VLX's?

GrahamM

Hi There,

I'm a new member, and I'm looking to buy a used boat. I've finally found one in my price range, however, it is a little older than I was originally looking for.

What model years actually change the hull on the wakesetter VLX? Is there much of a difference between an 04 vs an 06? I'm only looking at VLX's with the Illusion tower (I just like the look of the tower and the size/use for a VLX) and I've found an 04 with ~240 hours in my price range. What are the main differences for an older boat vs a newer one with the same hours? Is there anywhere I could find a list of the options that changed?

Also, this boat has the 380 hammerhead engine. How is it on gas compared to the 340? I really don't care to have the larger engine as I'm a wakeboarder and don't need the extra power... Any pros/cons to this engine?

Lastly, does anybody know of a good marine mechanic or somebody to checkout the boat before buying it in the Seattle area? I can't say I know enough to know a boat in good shape vs one I should stay away from. And if not, any suggestions/ideas on what to ask/look for?

Thanks a ton!

Graham

Vlx hull changed in 05,so there is a world of difference in my opinion from 04 to 05.Having owned both hulls i'd get the 05+hull.unless you go lsv and then 04 is on the newer hull iirc.There is a link around here somewhere with a hull chart.

helpful discussion for used boat purchase.

Here is the specification charts gives you hull designation, length, width etc. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs.html

Edited by apwrx

Thanks a ton for the response. My budget is $35,000 (and my wife will kill me if I spend more), and I've been looking for a while. The thing is, this is the first boat that has been in my price range... I've seen 2 '05s for $39,500, and 1 '06 but I think that was a scam... and the rest have been >$40,000. Is my expectation to find a 05 or newer VLX for that price unrealistic? Or do I just have to be patient? What are your thoughts on prices over the winter? Do they generally go down? I'm in no rush to get the boat as I won't get a lot of use out of it since its the tail end of summer... and then I'll have to winterize it... so I don't mind buying in the winter.

Thanks again,

Graham

Thanks a ton for the response. My budget is $35,000 (and my wife will kill me if I spend more), and I've been looking for a while. The thing is, this is the first boat that has been in my price range... I've seen 2 '05s for $39,500, and 1 '06 but I think that was a scam... and the rest have been >$40,000. Is my expectation to find a 05 or newer VLX for that price unrealistic? Or do I just have to be patient? What are your thoughts on prices over the winter? Do they generally go down? I'm in no rush to get the boat as I won't get a lot of use out of it since its the tail end of summer... and then I'll have to winterize it... so I don't mind buying in the winter.

Thanks again,

Graham

35 is exactly what i paid for mine, the top of my budget or the wife would kill me as well,he didnt need the money and wanted a quick transaction so i lucked out.This one is fully loaded +some extras 140hrs, i feel very lucky to have found it.

If you wanted to have alot more options look at the early 2000's a little smaller hull but a fantastic boat and still very nice inside.Good luck on your search if you find anything down this way i'd be more than happy to look at it for ya :thumbup:

There's a reason the sv23 hull was around for many years. One of which is that it requires less weight for a great wakeboard wake. With that said I would wait until winter time for an 05+ vlx or 04+ lsv. Either could be found in your price range, especially a vlx. Tons more interior room!!

There's a reason the sv23 hull was around for many years. One of which is that it requires less weight for a great wakeboard wake. With that said I would wait until winter time for an 05+ vlx or 04+ lsv. Either could be found in your price range, especially a vlx. Tons more interior room!!

The funny thing about vlx vs lsv is i could find the lsv cheaper than a vlx.I test drove an lsv and had them down to 31 needed a ballast pump and stereo.but found the vlx the nite before i was going to pick up the LSV. same hours,Vlx original owner had records LSV consignment yard no records.

Edited by apwrx