Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Going Down Real Steep Hills....

Wakesetter67

Have any of you gone down some real steep hills and sufferd any brake damage or create so much heat it about ruins the oil bath bearings... I tried to keep it slow in low gear but the serg brakes kept on activating... I might have glazed the brake shoes....

Have any of you gone down some real steep hills and sufferd any brake damage or create so much heat it about ruins the oil bath bearings... I tried to keep it slow in low gear but the serg brakes kept on activating... I might have glazed the brake shoes....

I tow through the rocky mountains a lot with my diesel pickup that has an exhaust brake and would have that problem. I added a switch to a solenoid that would lock out the reverse lights and activate the brake solenoid in the boat trailer. So I can basically turn off the trailer brakes when I want to. Now when I get to the bottom of the hill my brakes are nice and cool.

Hooked one up in my buddies truck this spring before our Lake Powell trip.

Terry

Do not ride them all the way down you will build up heat. If you boil the oil bearings you have big problems.

Don't no how steep you are talking or how fast you are going.

Hopefully you are towing with a big enough rig that has some stopping power.

Do not ride them all the way down you will build up heat. If you boil the oil bearings you have big problems.

Don't no how steep you are talking or how fast you are going.

Hopefully you are towing with a big enough rig that has some stopping power.

Ya it's an 07 Denali.. Is The something to lock out the brakes when going down steep hills

I added a switch to a solenoid that would lock out the reverse lights and activate the brake solenoid in the boat trailer. So I can basically turn off the trailer brakes when I want to.

Terry

I've seen you post this before and although I do think it is a great idea, I'm not sure that cheapy 12V solenoid is constructed to be on that long of a time. I don't think it's duty cycle is there.

Ya it's an 07 Denali.. Is The something to lock out the brakes when going down steep hills

I haul a lot bigger boat with a 09 Suburban. I do not have any problems you should not have any with that Denali.

I had the same problem since I go to Lake Tahoe a couple times a year. I tow with a diesel and go up and down a very steep stretch and by the time I got to the lake my brakes very so hot the grease was bubbling out and the wheels would steam when I put the trailer in the water. I ended up doing the same thing this year and added a switch in my truck that engages the trailer solenoid.

I've seen you post this before and although I do think it is a great idea, I'm not sure that cheapy 12V solenoid is constructed to be on that long of a time. I don't think it's duty cycle is there.

When I use it, it is on maybe 10 - 15 minutes at a time and I've been using it for the last eight years. When I hit the bottom of the hill the brakes are turned back on. If you tow in steep mountains and use your truck engine to hold you back, I would rather replace the little 12v solenoid then my brakes, hubs, and bearings.

Terry