Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pylon Removal on Illusion X

I picked up the new boat tonight. This is the first one I plan on keeping in my barn. Removing the swim platform, it just (barely) fit length-wise, with my slide-away tongue. I was unsure on the height, but it looks like it will fit through the door (Illusion X) by about 1/4 inch for all of the tower EXCEPT the pylon. I'd prefer not to have to fold down each time, so I'm wondering how the pylon can be removed. I played around with it for about 15 minutes tonight and I couldn't find how to get it off. Anyone have any ideas? Is there something that pops off, and then a bolt inside? If I can't figure this out, I'm going to notch out the header on the door (they are swing-open bard doors, so no door hardware to worry about), but I'd really prefer to just remove the pylon.

You can pop the top off (part that looks like top of throttle). Once that is off you need an allen bolt and a socket and then you can remove the pylon. The allen bolt is for a tightener that hold the other bolt in place, but still allows it to spin. Once you slide the pylon off you need a 3/4(?) wrench and you can remove the post. It is simple once you do it.

Cool thanks... I wasn't sure if that top just popped off or not. I just went down and pried it with a knife, and it came off. I don't think I need to removed the allen bolt - just the 5/8 socket worked for me. Then I see the post (I didn't remove it tonight because I didn't have the right size wrench down in the barn w. me). Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. Good luck with it. We had to remove just the pylon (not the inner bolt on a friends and it just made it in (with the tower down) by rubbing the rubber trim on his garage.