Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02 wakesetter vlx trans leak

02 wakesetter vlx

5.7 monsoon

noticed transmission fluid was low so added fluid tell read full on dipstick. rode for the day and checked tranny fluid again, was low added another quart. boat is now out of the water and i am trying to narrow down the leak. i cleaned the bilge and wiped down the bottom of the transmission. i layed down some oil absorbers. and ran the mototr and put into gear for about 10 second intervuls. no leaks that day, returned a couple days later and found 5 drops on my absorber and couple drips on bottom of tranny. can some one please tell me what to do next i am lost can i fix this my self or do i have to take it in any help is welcomed thanks very much.

2009350.jpg

2ly4nxz.jpg

2z9easl.jpg

2aha59x.jpg

35lclsg.jpg

It may be that the cover plate bolts are loose causing the fluid to leak past the disc gasket. The 2 bolts that fasten the cover plate to the bottom of the tranny is where the tranny filter and gasket is. If you havent ever taken the filter out now would be a good time. Be sure to put a plastic garbage bag or similar on the bilge floor to catch the fluid you will loose. Makes clean up easier. Simply loosen boths bolts, but only remove 1, then rotate the cover plate to get access to the disk gasket and screen filter. Inspect the screen filter for any significant metal shavings. Clean the screen with a solvent. Inspect the disk gasket for any cracking or damage. Replace both and tighten both bolts securely. Refill the transmission with proper fluid. Run the boat and recheck for leaks.

• 3 weeks later...

ended up at the shop. pulled motor and tranny to replace seal. shop reinstalled motor. shop fired motor noticed miss fire, changed cap, rotor, plugs, still miss fire. shop went and tested compression all good except one cylinder blew 25 now im dead in water again........