Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need a backup battery?

I was looking at a couple of posts regarding adding a second battery (backup / accessory) to their boat by Sac and Wakegirl. My current setup is using only a starting battery, not a deep cycle.

My qustion is this, do I need the added expense of a second battery?

The only accessory that is would pull off the battery would be the stereo, Sony -CDXF5005X rated at 52w x 4 ch at 4 ohms., nothing else. I would at times kick back in the middle of the lake with the engine off and the stereo on. I had the stereo hooked up to an accessory switch. I noted that in the owners manual that an alarm will sound if the voltage drops bellow 11 volts.

Would 11 volts be enough to start an engine if ran the battery down that far? On my perfect pass there is a menu readout that will display the voltage as well.

Yeah, I know I should be using a deep cycle for when I'm out floating in the lake, I figure I can trash my current starter battery and replace at a latter time with an Optima blue top.

Can I safely get away with this current setup?

It depends on how you use your system. If you are sitting in the boat running the audio with the boat not running a lot, then you do run a definite risk of having a dead battery when you go to start up again. You could add a second battery with a switch or isloator. You could also just pick up one of those portable jump starters to keep in the boat as insurance for being able to start.

It depends on how you use your system.  If you are sitting in the boat running the audio with the boat not running a lot, then you do run a definite risk of having a dead battery when you go to start up again.  You could add a second battery with a switch or isloator.  You could also just pick up one of those portable jump starters to keep in the boat as insurance for being able to start.

You should have one those portable jump starters anyways.

I wanted the piece of mind, to be able to listen to the stereo w/out having to worry about a dead starter battery. I was stranded at the boat ramp after listening to the stereo while waiting for Stewart to finishing primpin his ride.. of course, he had to save my butt and help me jumpstart the boat with my suburban driven down into the water... that was a site

So having to replace one battery, and also having to purchase a portable jump-battery, figured I'd take it the next step and have the extra piece of mind, save some space, etc... it isn't the cheepest alternative - but I don't worry when sitting with the stereo on

I did it because I was already dumping a lot of money (to me) into the stereo & thought that I might as well just complete it, plus I like the room that it freed up under the observer's compartment (Troy's right about the spot under the seat, it's the perfect spot for a battery or 2). With your system (especially with there being no sub) I wouldn't say that it's necessary, but it will increase your key-off float time. Personally, I think that you'll be fine, but having one of those portable jump packs would be good insurance, regardless of how many batteries that you have. (Slurpee's right about that, it should be something that you have onboard anyway.) When you get that Optima you should be fine on 1 battery with that system.

Troy,

Been there & done that with the truck-on-the-ramp/jumper cables scenario. Not fun at all.

Edited by WakeGirl

I installed the second battery and got a portable jump starter this year after having a dead battery twice last year. Both times I borrowed a battery from a friend who lived near the launch ramp.

For me its all about peace of mind. Not worrying about weather or not the boat is gonna start while I am swimming around and listening to music bothers me so I pleaded with my dad to buy a second battery, I bought the Perko and then installed it with help from some people on this board! We also keep a battery back up in the boat just for that peace of mind :)

I have 2 gel cells with a Perko switch on my VLX. I have 2 college age boys who like to sit in the water with the stereo cranked up and swim....with college age girls Biggrin.gif . So, I was all over that from DAY 1!!!! (sigh, if I had only had this boat when I was that age Cry.gif ). You would be surprised how fast you can drain a battery running 2 amps, a radio, 10 speakers, 1 subwoofer....did I mention the 12v blender for making Margaritas??? Crazy.gif

I think we should make a sticky in one of the forums that says:

"If you think you might need a second battery then, you do!"

Don't second guess how long your primary battery will last if you plan on cranking some crazy stereo or keeping high-consumption lights on. Either get a second battery or a portable jump starter and be done.

I think we should make a sticky in one of the forums that says:

"If you think you might need a second battery then, you do!"

Don't second guess how long your primary battery will last if you plan on cranking some crazy stereo or keeping high-consumption lights on. Either get a second battery or a portable jump starter and be done.

:lol:

You really can't check to see if you have enough juce left without starting the boat, and then that consumes more juice, and what does that really tell you?

I'd get to the point where we'd be chillin, listening to music, with the boat idling. That is just crazy Crazy.gif

I'd get to the point where we'd be chillin, listening to music, with the boat idling. That is just crazy

It maybe crazy but its probably the safest thing for everyone in and around the boat :unsure: Just think how much trouble you would be in if the boat couldn't start and no one was around:Frustrated: . What would be even better is if you put the boat just slightly into gear that way the RPM's would be running higher so that you could charge up your batteries. This would only be necessary if you had a really big system. Just make sure that the steering wheel is tied off so that the boat circles around you. You wouldn't want to be ran over by someone else who doesn't see you floating in the water. Crazy.gif

I can't believe that I'm still posting on this thread but, have an urge to help everyone on the board that I can.

You really can't check to see if you have enough juce left without starting the boat, and then that consumes more juice, and what does that really tell you?

You could get a "battery buddy". I think that's what they're called. It's a small device that straps to the side of the batt. and will automatically disconnect it from your (stereo or whatever) once it "senses" that the batt. has been drained down to the point where it would only have enough power to crank the engine one last time.

Oh wait, Troy, maybe you should get one of these Biggrin.gif (WOW 05)

Either way, your best bet is second batt. or portable jump starter. I'd have the largest capacity battery that would still fit in my batt. box. Then (like I do) have a jumper batt. on board for emergencies. (you never know when that alternator mounting bracket bolt is gonna shear off and you need to take the string out of your bathing suit to make a temporary belt)

I had a "Marine" battery buddy hooked up. One day I accidentally left the radio on

(the radio is on an accessory switch) and came out the next morning to find the alarm going off indicating that the battery was undercharged. Needless to say the POS "battery buddy" did not work... the boat would not turn over. I had to pull the battery and put it on a charger.

I had a "Marine" battery buddy hooked up.  One day I accidentally left the radio on

(the radio is on an accessory switch) and came out the next morning to find the alarm going off indicating that the battery was undercharged.  Needless to say the POS "battery buddy" did not work... the boat would not turn over.  I had to pull the battery and put it on a charger.

Did you keep the battery buddy charged? Ours says to charge fully every 3 months or after each use.

I had a "Marine" battery buddy hooked up.  One day I accidentally left the radio on

(the radio is on an accessory switch) and came out the next morning to find the alarm going off indicating that the battery was undercharged.  Needless to say the POS "battery buddy" did not work... the boat would not turn over.  I had to pull the battery and put it on a charger.

Did you keep the battery buddy charged? Ours says to charge fully every 3 months or after each use.

We must be talking about 2 different products. I had a product called a "Battery Tender". It's hooked up to the battery and is supposed to disconnect the circuit when it senses a loss at a point. http://overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/20193M.jpg

I will probably be going that route with the battery pack. The only thing that I have really drawing from the battery is the stereo (no subs or anything off the wall) and no accessory lights.

The jumper is the most convienient thing to have. I actually use it to blow up my air mattress when I get to the campsite, power and charge my ipod and XM radio while I'm in the garage. Also, while on the water, it's the only way you could ever jump another boat.

this is the model I have $80 delivered is a good price. These are the no-bull model used in the automotive and towing world.

They are pretty cool. Ours has a tire pump, flash light, radio, plug in for accesories, and of course the battery cables. I couldn't tell you how much it was though, the origional owner of the boat left it in there when he sold it. Biggrin.gif

No hard feelings Jetski but, you want to stay away from those air pumping, GPS locating, flashlighting, warning beacon sending, SOS signal receiving, flare launching, megaphone sounding, squirt gun squirting, vacuum cleaning, blended drink making, foreign language translating, disco ball descending, built-in cup holder holding, JC Whitney selling models.

No hard feelings Jetski but, you want to stay away from those air pumping, GPS locating, flashlighting, warning beacon sending, SOS signal receiving, flare launching, megaphone sounding, squirt gun squirting, vacuum cleaning, blended drink making, foreign language translating, disco ball descending, built-in cup holder holding, JC Whitney selling models.

ROFL.gif

Dangit, We must have the older model that doesn't have the built-in cup holder Frustrated.gif

Edited by jetskipro550

I bought a really basic one that has a little light (I have no idea what it would actually be useful for) & a 12v outlet, & that's it. It's very small, which was the big thing that attracted me to it, & it was also only $30 on closeout at Lowe's.

I'd be up for one that did blended drinks. :lol: (nice rant Pete)