Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interstate Batteries

Ndawg12

I have 2 of the batteries pictured below. The batteries in my boat are working just fine and should for quite a while because the Deka starting battery was new when I bought the boat 11/08 and the stereo battery was new some time early 09. But:

1. Will these batteries be a good option for the bu someday?

2. What group are they, they won't fit in a grp24 box..? Too wide at the bottom.

3. What is the shelf life on these, I have a battery tender that I can hook to them every few months to keep them in good condition..? Or is it a "use it or lose it" type of thing?

TIA

post-8316-128226463784_thumb.gif

post-8316-128226463964_thumb.gif

Edited by Ndawg12

I have 2 of the batteries pictured below. The batteries in my boat are working just fine and should for quite a while because the Deka starting battery was new when I bought the boat 11/08 and the stereo battery was new some time early 09. But:

1. Will these batteries be a good option for the bu someday?

2. What group are they, they won't fit in a grp24 box..? Too wide at the bottom.

3. What is the shelf life on these, I have a battery tender that I can hook to them every few months to keep them in good condition..? Or is it a "use it or lose it" type of thing?

TIA

Those don't look like marine batteries to me, they look like cranking batteries. You don't need or want cranking only batteries on our boats. Marine deep cycle batteries have plenty of cranking amps to take care of starting. They look like group 27 batteries to me.

Those don't look like marine batteries to me, they look like cranking batteries. You don't need or want cranking only batteries on our boats. Marine deep cycle batteries have plenty of cranking amps to take care of starting. They look like group 27 batteries to me.

Yeah, they're definitely automotive batteries, not marine. So you're saying I wouldn't have a hard time starting the boat with them but they're not really worth a damn as far as running a stereo for long periods...??

Yeah, they're definitely automotive batteries, not marine. So you're saying I wouldn't have a hard time starting the boat with them but they're not really worth a damn as far as running a stereo for long periods...??

Yeah if it's not a deep cycle battery you don't want to draw it down. Do that to a starting/cranking battery several times and it will be no good. They would probably work great as a reserve starting battery with no other load on them.

Yeah if it's not a deep cycle battery you don't want to draw it down. Do that to a starting/cranking battery several times and it will be no good. They would probably work great as a reserve starting battery with no other load on them.

Gotcha, which reminds me, I need to start switching my perko over to just battery 2 when we're sitting, I'm lazy about that. Thanks 06 :thumbup:

Edited by Ndawg12

Maybe you could put them in the Bravada or your other car?

It just so happens I'm due for a new Interstate battery in the Sentra. I pulled over for 8 mins. today to change a flat tire with my head lights and flashers on and the car barely cranked when I got back in it.

Maybe you could put them in the Bravada or your other car?

It just so happens I'm due for a new Interstate battery in the Sentra. I pulled over for 8 mins. today to change a flat tire with my head lights and flashers on and the car barely cranked when I got back in it.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention Pete. Didn't you know this forum revolves around my trials and tribulations..? My Bravada has a new battery and alternator, thank you very much. However, if you or anyone else is in the area and needs a new starter battery, let me know :thumbup:

Dude,

I can't keep up with all the guessing you do at fixing your own cars. :biggrin:

Just how did you happen to stumble on these two like new batts? Find them in your storage yard, where you keep your boat, in someone else's cars?

Dude,

I can't keep up with all the guessing you do at fixing your own cars. :biggrin:

Just how did you happen to stumble on these two like new batts? Find them in your storage yard, where you keep your boat, in someone else's cars?

For the record, I'm the first one to admit I can't diagnose worth a $hit. but thanks for reminding me. But I'll figure out how to fix anything....with a limiited supply of tools and resources.

As for the batteries, they were wrongly orderd for a KW900 and after it was discovered, I just so happeneed to be in the right place at the right time and they wouldn't return them....

Edited by Ndawg12