Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXi vs MC197TT

martho

Howdy gang -

Thinking about upgrading and considering looking at a 197(TT). Many people say 2006 was the last good year for the RLXi, so my options are limited. I am not a SN fan so that really doesn't leave many choices.

I found this thread but not much else.

For those who drive both the RLXi and 197 on a regular basis (2009 or 2010 of both boats)what differences do you notice?

I do not pretend to be anything more than a basic course skier and I will never see anything past 22'in my life. I do not wakeboard and I do not pull wakeboarders. This boat will be used to foot and slalom in the course. Those are my only concerns about performance. More concerned with rigidity and reliability for my research. Fit/Finish, too.

Thanks

I do think that the 197 is probably the sexiest boat made, ever. But you mentioned footing. I assume you checked out this thread over there:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=37469

Because of the wetted surface and the hook on the transom you will have a hard time keeping footing speed with a few people aboard and/or multiple footers. I know experienced footers will glide at less that 38, just making sure you were aware of this issue.

If my boat blew up tomorrow, I would be in the same predicament. I think I would be looking at the 1 model old early to mid 2000's RLXI and a 197. I have skied and driven both and consider them to be comparable. The 197 does have a disadvantage with footing speed, but the ones I have been in still get it done. 41 - 42 MPH.

Fit and finish I am torn. I think they both have fallen off since each of their glory days.

Personally, I'd just keep the '06 and upgrade that... But that's just me. :)

+1 keep what you got....especially if it's paid for and has the Monsoon 340. I have footed behind both SN's & MC197 and would take my RLXi every time. :rockon:

I have stargazer, heater, heated seat, bimini, and the stock stereo (which we rarely use)

No need to add options to this boat. Just wanna go newer.

Anyone skied behind this Sanger: Sanger ?

Could be an option for you. Pulls the world barefoot championships and says its blessed with world class slalom wakes.

Guy on my lake has a Sanger DD with the 8.1. The thing throws a bigger wake than our V drive. Seriously. I don't know if he's got more weight in it to set up a nice table for footing or what, but it throws a beastly wake.

Personally, I'd just keep the '06 and upgrade that... But that's just me. :)

:plus1:

There's a guy with an newer 197TT in our "rotation". I do not like that wake at all. :no:

Ski it before you buy it. :yes:

I have stargazer, heater, heated seat, bimini, and the stock stereo (which we rarely use)

No need to add options to this boat. Just wanna go newer.

If you get a MC you will have a newer boat but not a better boat.

How many hours on your current? Is that the reason for the potential upgrade? I was just remarking this morning that I plan on keeping my 04 perhaps forever .... 500 hrs and going strong.

The 197 at the rent lake had a great slalom wake but the vinyl was already trashed and cheesy thin snap in carpet was wrinkled and looked cheap. Could have been that it was the lake boat but it seemed too new to look that bad. I recon it was an '08.

My opinion. keep yours or find a low hour equivalent to swap in, they're out there mid to upper 20's.

I vote the MC... new lxi wake compared to your current boat sucks IMO. The MC only sucks at 22. The lxi only gets nice at 28.

that said... have you looked at the new SN200?

Seems like I remember from your other posts that you area a 200+ pound skier. Being one of those myself, I would not even consider a 197 with any engine other than the old Cadillac or the new LY6. Even then, I think you'll be disappointed in footing performance.

I have long line footed behind a 2005 197, and with me at 240lb and three people in the boat the MCX was at WOT. It worked, but it would be nice to have a little left over. And that was just going in a straight line on two feet...maybe a wake crossing, I can't remember.

I think about the only upgrade over your boat per your description that I would consider would be the 383 engine in the 06 RLXI. I'm hoping to own a 2003-2006 RLXI someday myself.

You might want to contact a couple of the barefoot schools and discuss the boats they use, as an example Ron Scarpa still uses the 03-06 LXi and does not use the newer version. My experience footing behind a 197 still left me preferring the SV23 hull so I would recommend trying before buying. The 03-06 LXi still ranks as one of the best slalom hulls and also a top pick for footing. The MC 197 does not have the grunt or top end of any of the LXi's I have been behind.

I have owned a 2003 MC 197, 2008 Response LXi, and currently have a 2010 Response LXi.

The Malibus have had better fit and finish in my experience. I had some issues with the MC that MC did fix, but it was a hassle. The trailers (Boatmate) that are on Malibu are far better than the MC trailers. My MC trailer was a nightmare with brake problems, bunk problems, and fender problems.

As far as ski-ability, the newer MCs, Malibus and Nautiques are all world class wakes and boats. All three have had world records set behind them! Yes, there are wake differences but the pros and cons of each offset each other (from a slalom perspective at different line lengths and speeds). I am surprised at some of the comments in this thread that one boat skis better than the other. For barefooting, the MC had a turbulent wake. The Malibu (in my opinion) is a little better but still does not compare to a boat set up for barefooting (Barefoot Nautique or Response Barefoot Edition).

Hope this helps.

Don

My boat has 218.6 hours as of this morning's runs. It runs about 45.5 WOT depending on chop/wind/crew weight.

I would be upgrading to get back into a boat with warranty and upgrade a few years.

I agree with most of the posts in this thread. MC has some fantastic color schemes I'm not a tower fan, but this boat looks great! HOWEVER - You can't judge a book by its.... you can't judge a boat by its paint scheme.

Flame me all you want, but I have no interest in a SN. The $10K added price tag and the aura which goes along with ownership(not all but many) is not for me.

It looks like my options are even more limited than I originally thought.

Malibu will still build you a Response LX. Set it up with the SSP and you have the skiing versatility at the cost of some space. Still the best looking boat Malibu ever made by a long shot. :)

Flame me all you want, but I have no interest in a SN. The $10K added price tag and the aura which goes along with ownership(not all but many) is not for me.

I have the same opinion of SN. I would drive one and ski one all day long. But would never buy one.

As far as the question about the Sanger. I was just in a brand new one. Excellent looking, great power, awesome footing, slalom is not "world class". Its definitely skiable but pretty stiff at 32 34 MPH 15 and 22