Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which is positive (+) and which is ground (-)

MalibuLX3

I just picked up a Attwood Tsunami 1200 GPH Ballast Pump from Wakemakers but I haven't been able to get through to them. There is a brown and a black wire off the pump, so my question is which wire the the positive and which is the ground. Traditionally, red is positive and black is ground, so that would lead me to guess that black would still be negative leaving the brown to be positive, but I don't want to assume anything and fry my brand new pump.

you got it right, but if you switched them it should just run backwards :crazy:

This may be true in this case (I can't verify), but good call on asking. If you were to hook up, say, an amplifier backwards, you'd just let all the smoke out and it'd be junk. :crazy:

you got it right, but if you switched them it should just run backwards :crazy:

This pump isn't really reversible, or is it? That would be awesome if it was, but I don't want to fry it trying.

Some pumps can be run in reverse by reversing polarity. I'm not sure if the Tsunami (or any aerator pump for that matter) falls into that category though. The Simer & Ballast Puppy impeller pumps will work like that, but that's a whole different animal altogether.

I was kind of kidding when I suggested it would run backwards if hooked up backwards, maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't, but the impeller is set to pump 1 way and that's the only way it would be effective.

I was kind of kidding when I suggested it would run backwards if hooked up backwards, maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't, but the impeller is set to pump 1 way and that's the only way it would be effective.

I rolled the wires from my piranhas when I installed my Bake's add a bag and they ran backwards....pretty slow to drain that way. :lol: