Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Welding on wedge arms???

Ndawg12

My pins have pulled out of my wedge arms. I'm going to press them back in with a vise but I need to secure them, can my shop guy put a couple tack welds on each side of the pins to the arms? My jb weld didn't last very long :blush::crazy:

I'm not sure that anyone's tried it (at least that I've seen here), but I would think that the difference in metals would have to do with whether or not it could be done. I've seen a lot of speculation that it wouldn't be doable for that reason.

I'm not sure that anyone's tried it (at least that I've seen here), but I would think that the difference in metals would have to do with whether or not it could be done. I've seen a lot of speculation that it wouldn't be doable for that reason.

Thats why I'm hesitant, I don't need it to be pretty but I don't want a fugly mess, I was wondering if the different metals would jive.

I am not a good welder but I don't think you can weld those (If I understand what your saying) On a side note my wedge has gotten noisier and noisier to the point even the "non mechanics" on my boat notice. Mine rattles like crazy just off idle especially when idling around to pick up a fallen rider. I think I may put aside some money for a floater this winter.

Edited by Ruffdog

I think that that would be a question for a good welder. I suspect that it wouldn't hold, but I just don't know.

Yeah, that's the problem, I've got welders, but no good welders :biggrin::unsure: but I think we're going to give it go! I'll be the lab rat on this one, I recall this being a pretty common issue.

post-8316-128224306797_thumb.jpg

Your arms are just spread out a bit. You would do better straightening them back or even over bending them a slight bit to the inside. Then put the pins back in. I have done that several times to wedges that had the pins rotating in the arms. Also make sure the wedge arms are shimmed correctly with the washers at the mounting point.

DON'T DO IT!!

The arms and the foil are dissimilar for one and two the arms when heated basically explode... trust me. I'm having a completely new assembly (less the mounting bracket) fabbed from stainless steel and welded this winter. I'll give a review of it once I have it all done and mounted back up.

DON'T DO IT!!

The arms and the foil are dissimilar for one and two the arms when heated basically explode... trust me. I'm having a completely new assembly (less the mounting bracket) fabbed from stainless steel and welded this winter. I'll give a review of it once I have it all done and mounted back up.

If your having a completely new assembly made Why not just make a floater?

If it were me I would clean it up with a wire cup and braze it. You will need a torch and it is a lower temp than welding kind of like soldering. You can get brazing rods at Home depot or your welding shop.

Uh, want to fill us in on what happened?

Just kidding, I chickened out, you guys scared me out of it. I took a wire wheel to all of it and made the arms and pins look like gold. I put the pins in the arms and all of it in a vise. We had some special stuff that I used also, it was like blue loctite but especially for press fittings. I left it all in the vise overnight.

My foil is pitted from the salt water use by the previous owner, I have not noticed it getting any worse since I've owned the boat for the last 2 years (90hrs). What would you guys suggest using to fill the pits (maybe 1/8" at the deepest) so that I can put some kind painted finish on it.

Just kidding, I chickened out, you guys scared me out of it. I took a wire wheel to all of it and made the arms and pins look like gold. I put the pins in the arms and all of it in a vise. We had some special stuff that I used also, it was like blue loctite but especially for press fittings. I left it all in the vise overnight.

My foil is pitted from the salt water use by the previous owner, I have not noticed it getting any worse since I've owned the boat for the last 2 years (90hrs). What would you guys suggest using to fill the pits (maybe 1/8" at the deepest) so that I can put some kind painted finish on it.

You've put 90 hrs on your boat in 2 years! in North Carolina! I'm going to have to come down there and show you how to use that thing, you've probably already forgotten. Too much time modifying wedges and building platforms, not to mention starting your own currency, BTW can we buy platforms with Ndawg Bucks?

So I'm leaving tonight at 7 and I'll be there tomorrow at noon. Meet me at Cape Hatteras.

Just kidding, I chickened out, you guys scared me out of it. I took a wire wheel to all of it and made the arms and pins look like gold.

Braze the pins to the sides, Don't worry about the pitting. Brazing with a bronze rod will fix you right up and it is similar metals.

You've put 90 hrs on your boat in 2 years! in North Carolina! I'm going to have to come down there and show you how to use that thing, you've probably already forgotten. Too much time modifying wedges and building platforms, not to mention starting your own currency, BTW can we buy platforms with Ndawg Bucks?

So I'm leaving tonight at 7 and I'll be there tomorrow at noon. Meet me at Cape Hatteras.

:biggrin: we've had 2 kids in that time frame as well. Ndawg Bucks can buy you anything :thumbup:

Don't think I'll make it to Cape Hatteras, but if you're in Charlotte give me a shout.

Biggrin.gif we've had 2 kids in that time frame as well. Ndawg Bucks can buy you anything Thumbup.gif

Don't think I'll make it to Cape Hatteras, but if you're in Charlotte give me a shout.

That sounds more expensive than boat gas. Just be careful because as we all say low hours can negatively effect resale. If you neeed me to come add some hours to help the value of your boat I'd be happy too.

As for Charlotte, If I were driving my car I'd definitly be there, and at East Coast Wow too.

Gotta agree with that, it can't be that much more expensive.

Initially thought about doing that. But, in going with a floater (which I would love to do, btw) doesn't the bracket have to be changed out on the transom? The SS wedge is being made by a family friend who owns a fab shop and all I am paying for is material and a promise to take his kids to the lake for labor. This is substantially cheaper than the $1200 conversion to a floater. Plus, I only really use my wedge for surfing anyway, I don't use it at all for boarding.

When I made a stainless wedge a while back, my experience actually started with trying to modify the older manual wedge. Because the arms appeared to be some sort of nibril, and the foil was aluminum, you can't really weld it. I've heard some older wedges had both aluminum arms and foil -- which you could weld with a TIG. I don't know if that's true.

To change the manual into a "floater" you'd have to cut the end of the arms at an angle, and weld the foil to that. The older wedges were at a 90 degree -- not the newer ones (or power). I agree, it would be better to make the newer floater style. The biggest difference is that angle, and of course you'd have to create or modify the bracket to stop, not lock in place. The foil angle is important because it forces water over the foil and dives it to the lowest position.

Either way -- post pics! Good luck.

I gotta ask, I have given you the way to secure the pin tubes to the sides, they are both a brass alloy.

Brazing with a bronze rod is a similar metal, yet this seems to be something you have not considered, Maybe it is something that your are uncomfortable with or do not know how to do. I don't know. But I do know one thing. I have given an answer to your question and you have ignored it.

Number of posts had nothing to do with knowledge. You asked for a fix, this is it.

forget about the aluminum fin, you are not going to be brazing to that as you stated that the side pins were your issue.

If you don't know what brazing is. well you should ask. Nibral is an alloy of Nickel, bronze and aluminum. On my wedge the pin

sleeves appear to be some sort of bronze. It does not take an genius to determine that the NiBRAL arms would work with a Bronze brazing.

Frankly I am done, I tried to tell you how to fix it and have been ignored.

I have learned a lot off this site and I am trying to give back but since I only have a few posts my knowledge is not considered. Wow.

I gotta ask, I have given you the way to secure the pin tubes to the sides, they are both a brass alloy.

Brazing with a bronze rod is a similar metal, yet this seems to be something you have not considered, Maybe it is something that your are uncomfortable with or do not know how to do. I don't know. But I do know one thing. I have given an answer to your question and you have ignored it.

Number of posts had nothing to do with knowledge. You asked for a fix, this is it.

forget about the aluminum fin, you are not going to be brazing to that as you stated that the side pins were your issue.

If you don't know what brazing is. well you should ask. Nibral is an alloy of Nickel, bronze and aluminum. On my wedge the pin

sleeves appear to be some sort of bronze. It does not take an genius to determine that the NiBRAL arms would work with a Bronze brazing.

Frankly I am done, I tried to tell you how to fix it and have been ignored.

I have learned a lot off this site and I am trying to give back but since I only have a few posts my knowledge is not considered. Wow.

Actually I thought it was a good post and you apparently have some expertise. Don't go away angry, post more helpful comments like your earlier one, and go into more detail as NDAWG isn't a welder. This is a great site and if you contribute in a positive manner, you won't get ignored.

Personally I didn't understand what or why he was doing this and mistook it for trying to weld the arms to the foil. Now I know, and I am going to go out to the garage and try figure out what the heck NDAWG is up to. :)

Edited by Ruffdog

Okay I get it now. I think rjgogo might be right.....have them brazed in place. If they can repair NiBrAl props they can do this.

What I would do if you can't braze is take it into your local shops that repairs the NiBrAl props.