Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion XS Tower rattling bad

08 247 with illusion XS Tower. The tower has been making some awful noises over the last couple of weeks getting progressively worse. it was really bad the other day on choppy water. The base of the tower seems really sturdy and the bolts appear to be snug tight. It looks like the tower is moving side to side about an 1/8 of an inch where the black bushings are just above the base of the tower. I tightened up the screw on the side of the tower just above the base but that didnt really help much. Anyone else have this problem or have any idea what it might be? How hard is it to take off the tower and replace the bushings? Can it be done or is this something for the dealer? I know the tower isnt under warranty and that they went out of business.

There are pins & bushings in the tower that need to be replaced. You will need to get in touch with a dealer to get the parts. Once you have them, it will be a good idea to make note of them so you can source them elsewhere in the future.

Loose bushings will cause the pivot bolt to work loose. Also can cause the pins to fall out while underway. Keep an eye on those. Stress cracks can develop around the tower base as well.

The nut holding the base down on mine comes loose each season. You have to stick a socket wrench thru the opening in interior panel to tighten it which is tight. Next time I may use some loctite. So be sure to check these and you can just reach up there with your hand and feel the nut and if its up all the way or not. But it sounds like yours may be loose in another area. This XS tower is my favorite tower out of them all but sure has its fair share of problems.

XTP nows has parts for the illusion X and XS as they have the molds and sold the tower to Moomba. I would give them a call.

contact info?