Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rotten Floor and Stringers

I have a 1986 Malibu Skier, original owner. I just came back from a weekend at Shasta lake to find the motor mounts are not only loose but sunk into the fiber glass about 3/4 inch into the stringer on the passenger side, sooo I know it will be a big job. With mechanic and carpentry background I'm comfortable with the job but looking for good guidence and tips to start the floor/stringer replacement project, any advice, pictures, video... on this?

this site will be your best resource. Many have done it and are here and willing to help.

check these out

rugger rebuilt his boat a few years ago http://www.picasaweb.google.com/myfourday

and recently sold it to martinarcher.

old school malibu did his http://www.flickr.co...57624157904840/

I am currently rebuilding my 89 sunsetter.

Just search the threads and you will find whatever it is you are looking for. If not- ask one of us and I am sure we will drown you with more info than you wanted.

Good Luck!

-Jason

The guys on planetnautique have a lot of experience and some great articles/threads on this stuff, alot of those guys have those 80's era boats and have done this job already.

-Chris

this site will be your best resource. Many have done it and are here and willing to help.

check these out

rugger rebuilt his boat a few years ago http://www.picasaweb.google.com/myfourday

and recently sold it to martinarcher.

old school malibu did his http://www.flickr.co...57624157904840/

I am currently rebuilding my 89 sunsetter.

Just search the threads and you will find whatever it is you are looking for. If not- ask one of us and I am sure we will drown you with more info than you wanted.

Good Luck!

-Jason

martinarcher

Thank you, This is Great stuff. Confident in rebuild now just gotta find the time.

Great ot hear someone else is rebuilding another classic Bu! Do take lots of pics of the progress. It is great to see. Heck, start a build thread and keep it updated as you go. I'm sure many including myself would love to see it come together and could help answer questions along the way. Thumbup.gif

It was very helpful for me to have a plan with check list. It helped me track materials and stay schedule. It will be important to get the boat level befor you start and check the sag in the floor. You may need to raise the hull in the center? With the weight of the motor on bad stringers mine had settled over an inch. You will want to get registration marks for floor height and motor location. I found a lot of good info out there surfing the web. It will also be helpful to make templates of stringers.Good ventalation and protection are key. Good luck!

Just make sure to measure EVERYTHING before you cut anything. And don't throw anything that comes out of the boat away until you are completely done. Remember if you are off 1/2 inch at the floor, then your seats will now be 1/2 inch too tall, etc. Good luck.

Edited by rugger

Here is an old trick that we use sometimes in areas that you just can not get to. Mix your resin as normal and add 10% rubbing alcohol. The alcohol soaks into the wood wet or dry like a sponge and pulls the resin into it. When it drys you can do anything with it. It gets like a solid piece or fiberglass.