Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need input on 03 Sunscape 23

rugger

Although I wasn't necessarily looking for one, I came across a seemingly good deal on a 2003 Sunscape 23LSV. Of course I'd test before buying anything, but any experience/input on this one?

It's pretty plain as far as accessories but does have low hours (monsoon). No ballast, just wedge. I'd add ballast of course. I'm not asking in terms of market value -- just looking for someone's input who has this range of boat.

I still like to throw on the slalom ski a bit (I think a diamond would be right for me), but I'm not running the course. I'm assuming a 21 does much better than 23, but I've seen some pics up here that seem impressive. In terms of wakeboarding, I'm coming from a DD with a wedge, so I'd think I could at least match that with a wedge and ballast. I'd like to get a bit more into surfing.

If this boat made sense, would someone hold out for the newer hull in 2004 and up?

Sorry if that's too open ended -- I have read what I could find in a search. Thanks.

03 to 04 was a huge redesign, you'd really have to look at a newer one and an older one to see which one fits your needs.

The 04 will have the gorilla fins and handles much better, I think the 03 will ski better but not sure about that.

-Chris

I just sold my 03 Sunscape 23' LSV with the diamond hull and it was a great boat. Ordered it new from the factory. Handled awesome and had a great slalom wake, and a good wakeboard wake. We had a direct drive (non-malibu) before the 23 LSV, so we were moving from a great slalom wake. I would say the 23 LSV's ski wake was at least 90% as good as our direct drive's ski wake. Like the boat you are considering, ours did not have any ballasts. I was torn between getting a 2010 23 LSV or just adding some ballasts. Ended up purchasing a 2010 Wakesetter 23 LSV with the diamond hull. Although the ski wake is good on the new boat, it is not as good as the ski wake was on our 2003 23 LSV. As for the difference between the 21 and 23 wakes, I never skied behind a pre-2004 21. However, I have skied behind my buddy's 2006 21' v-ride, which I believe has the same hull as the 2003 21 LSV. I actually thought the wake on our 23' was better, but his vride did not have the diamond hull. Regardless, I think the extra room of the 23' trumps any difference in the ski wake. Regarding the ballasts, if I kept my 03', I would have plumbed in some fat sacks instead of the hard tanks in order to preserve my storage. Hope this helps.

Edited by Roselaw1

Thanks. That helps a lot. Still searching but the 03 is the most interesting deal by far.

I've read the 04 and up handles better but the previous years had a better ski wake. I sure wish I could line up as many boats as possible and test them:)

Did you notice any difference between storage or comfort between the two? I'm asking because the 03 23 is 6 inches shorter and slightly narrower. I'm going under assumption i wouldn't notice the difference. Thanks again.

Thanks. That helps a lot. Still searching but the 03 is the most interesting deal by far.

I've read the 04 and up handles better but the previous years had a better ski wake. I sure wish I could line up as many boats as possible and test them:)

Did you notice any difference between storage or comfort between the two? I'm asking because the 03 23 is 6 inches shorter and slightly narrower. I'm going under assumption i wouldn't notice the difference. Thanks again.

I am assuming that when you say "the two" you are talking between the 03 and the 2010. I do notice a slight difference in the size, not necessarily the storage. However, if the 03 had ballasts, there would have been a huge difference in the storage, as the 03 (and I believe the 04) had the ballasts in the storage area, not in the floor. Between the 21 and 23, there is also a huge difference in the storage. In our 03, the rear lockers were large enough for us to store our wakeboards, surfboards etc. However, our buddy has an 05 21' VLX. He cannot put his boards in the lockers. Came in handy when we were storing our boats in slips at Shasta and Almanor. We were able to just put everything in the lockers and they had to pack theirs back and forth from the house.

Edited by Roselaw1