Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Wakesetter XTI - Stalled won't start

I was driving my 2004 Wakesetter XTI Monsoon 340 home from dinner tonight and the warning beep came on and then seconds later the boat cut out. I topped up the boat a few days ago with oil and think that it is most likely something to do with a blockage in the fuel line/filter. The only thing that is suspicious is the fact that the warning sensor was going off.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions for me?

The boat has a 1/4 tank of fuel so I know the boat isn't out of fuel. I was back in my boathouse and was able to start the boat up if I turned up the throttle in neutral(it ran very rough) however once I let off the throttle the boat would stall.

I was driving my 2004 Wakesetter XTI Monsoon 340 home from dinner tonight and the warning beep came on and then seconds later the boat cut out. I topped up the boat a few days ago with oil and think that it is most likely something to do with a blockage in the fuel line/filter. The only thing that is suspicious is the fact that the warning sensor was going off.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions for me?

The boat has a 1/4 tank of fuel so I know the boat isn't out of fuel. I was back in my boathouse and was able to start the boat up if I turned up the throttle in neutral(it ran very rough) however once I let off the throttle the boat would stall.

Have you checked your impeller? If the impeller is toast the engine will heat up and shut down. Try hooking up a fake a lake to your boat and see if water comes out of your exhaust. If there is no water coming out it means your impeller is probably shot.

It doesn't sound like it but you may want to check your impeller real quick. If the impeller is toast the engine light will beep and shut down. Try hooking up a fake a lake to your boat and see if water comes out of your exhaust. If there is no water coming out it means your impeller is probably shot.

If it is a fuel problem be sure to check both fuel filters. I have one next to the tank and another one on the engine. You can also hook up a pressure gauge to your fuel pump to make sure you have consistant pressure.

Describe the stall more. Did it just shut down or was it gradual? Did it misfire or backfire? Keeping it simple, I'm thinking EFI or fuel pump relay failure. Engine won't run without either of them working. But it could be so many things.

Describe the stall more. Did it just shut down or was it gradual? Did it misfire or backfire? Keeping it simple, I'm thinking EFI or fuel pump relay failure. Engine won't run without either of them working. But it could be so many things.

I increased the throttle and at about 15mph it completely cut out. After that the engine would not turn over unless I had the throttle full out. The engine cut out instantly and then would not restart.

I was wrong when I said the boat started beeping and then it stalled. The boat did not beep before it stalled.

It sounded as though the engine backfired once and then stalled.

Edited by pepschnops

Turning the key to the ON position will cause your fuel pump to run for a two second burst, followed by your gauges ramping up. Verify both of these things are happening. If not check your kill switch. You can hear the fuel pump run if you open the engine room cover and have someone turn the key to ON while you listen. If the pump don't run, verify both relays are working, then the pump.

electricjohn is a master diagnoser, :notworthy: but if all else fails just replace the fuel filter (NAPA fuel pump #3299 - $10) and clean the screen that runs runs to the inlet of your fuel pump.

BTW, thanks for the reminder, last weekend I ran my fuel gauge down to about 1/8 but I can not see any fuel in either end of the tank. I've got about 90hrs on this filter so it's a good reason to replace it.

electricjohn is a master diagnoser, :notworthy: but if all else fails just replace the fuel filter (NAPA fuel pump #3299 - $10) and clean the screen that runs runs to the inlet of your fuel pump.

BTW, thanks for the reminder, last weekend I ran my fuel gauge down to about 1/8 but I can not see any fuel in either end of the tank. I've got about 90hrs on this filter so it's a good reason to replace it.

I believe that the issue is my fuel pump. It only seems to be working intermittently. I have a new one on order. Thanks for the assistance in diagnosing this.

electricjohn is a master diagnoser, :notworthy:

Thanks for the compliment, Ndawg.

pepschnops, If the new fuel pump don't solve your problem, post again in this thread and I will try to help. Hate to see people throw money at a problem.