Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Painting My Boat?

KRMartin123

Does anyone know is it a pain and costly to get your boat repainted for if I do keep my sunsetter I want it painted flat black with gloss black bu emblems and black interior as well anyone did this before?

Use the search function, we covered this last week. ;)

Yeah, I had a reply for that thread but never posted it. Before everyone hates on the OP for doing this, tell me what the difference is between a seat cushion being light grey and 180 degrees or black and 280 degrees? Either way you ain't sitting on it!! :crazy:

Your best option would probably be to look into putting a wrap on your boat rather painting or re-gelling it.

Edited by Ndawg12

Yeah, I had a reply for that thread but never posted it. Before everyone hates on the OP for doing this, tell me what the difference is between a seat cushion being light grey and 180 degrees or black and 280 degrees? Either way you ain't sitting on it!! :crazy:

Your best option would probably be to look into putting a wrap on your boat rather painting or re-gelling it.

I'm with ya, no problems here. I think it looks pretty sick myself. BTW, it was also covered last week:

What was your response going to be? Is it still relevant here?

Does anyone know is it a pain and costly to get your boat repainted for if I do keep my sunsetter I want it painted flat black with gloss black bu emblems and black interior as well anyone did this before?

What year is your Sunsetter?

I would have a 2' x 2' pc of wood insulated and upholstered the color you want., set it out in the sun and sit on it! Let us know what you think, I for one would never consider black upholstery in a boat :crazy:

I would have a 2' x 2' pc of wood insulated and upholstered the color you want., set it out in the sun and sit on it! Let us know what you think, I for one would never consider black upholstery in a boat :crazy:

It's what I like

It's what I like

Ever sat on a black seat that has sat in the sun all day? Better wear pants out there is all I can say. This ain't no BMW with a sunshade. :crazy:

What you "like" and what is practical are most likely two different things.

IMO< Black interior on a boat is like a bicycle with no seat. Have fun riding!!!!

Edited by areamike

Actually, we had a boat for a while that had black accents in addition to light gray accents on the seat backs. Both were hot, but the black was so much hotter that you couldn't lean up against it at all whereas the gray you could tolerate. It really is that much hotter.

My recommendation to the OP is this: I understand that it's what you like, & that's great. But re-skinning an entire boat is expensive, so here's what I'd do. I'd build a seat cushion that would fit somewhere that I would normally sit in the boat on a hot day, & I'd have it skinned in the color that I want. Then I'd take it out on the boat & try to live with it for a few trips, specifically on hot, cloudless days. It will cost a little money, but it will be a fraction compared with skinning the entire boat & if you decide that you can't live with it then you're not out much.

Actually, we had a boat for a while that had black accents in addition to light gray accents on the seat backs. Both were hot, but the black was so much hotter that you couldn't lean up against it at all whereas the gray you could tolerate. It really is that much hotter.

My recommendation to the OP is this: I understand that it's what you like, & that's great. But re-skinning an entire boat is expensive, so here's what I'd do. I'd build a seat cushion that would fit somewhere that I would normally sit in the boat on a hot day, & I'd have it skinned in the color that I want. Then I'd take it out on the boat & try to live with it for a few trips, specifically on hot, cloudless days. It will cost a little money, but it will be a fraction compared with skinning the entire boat & if you decide that you can't live with it then you're not out much.

I have a small amount of black on my boat as well. I'll agree the black is hotter but when it's 90+ and sunny out every vinyl surface not under the bimini is too hot to touch with bare skin. Does it still get uncomfotably hot on a 70 degree sunny day? It's never been that cold when I had my boat out :whistle:

Edited by Ndawg12

I was at the lake a few weeks ago and there was an all black boat that just launched. It looked wicked and mean out on the water. We had a conversation about how hot the interior must be and one of my buddies said that he rode on a boat with an all black interior. They used neoprene to cover the seats and you were able to sit on them all day long. So if you want that black interior, that is an option that might work. My wetsuit sure doesn't get very hot in the sun.

I was at the lake a few weeks ago and there was an all black boat that just launched. It looked wicked and mean out on the water. We had a conversation about how hot the interior must be and one of my buddies said that he rode on a boat with an all black interior. They used neoprene to cover the seats and you were able to sit on them all day long. So if you want that black interior, that is an option that might work. My wetsuit sure doesn't get very hot in the sun.

Great idea. Pay to have an entire boat re-skinned with black interior and then cover it with neoprene so you can sit on it. :crazy:

Ever sat on a black seat that has sat in the sun all day? Better wear pants out there is all I can say. This ain't no BMW with a sunshade. Crazy.gif

What you "like" and what is practical are most likely two different things.

IMO< Black interior on a boat is like a bicycle with no seat. Have fun riding!!!!

Anyone ever sat in the newer BMW 3-series convertibles. BMW puts some UV protectant crap on their seats so they don't heat up, and it really works. If you coated that black vinyl with it, I bet it would be cooler than any of our white vinyl. Theres a solution to everything.

I would agree having the small test area first is probably a good idea.

Stanard black vinyl I think will be too hot but I'm sure you can find some black vinyl that won't heat up to such an extent and thats what you should try and find.

I would question the flat black paint the most, it would show every scuff watermark and lake scum and would be very difficult to repair. I would recommend gloss paint with flat black graphics

I would question the flat black paint the most, it would show every scuff watermark and lake scum and would be very difficult to repair. I would recommend gloss paint with flat black graphics

It's becoming the latest trend in auto's but I agree, I would wrap it.

I'm going to wrap it for sure now that I know, but as far as the flat black goes I don't ever get any scum build up on my boat I clean mine a lot I'm a freak about details, and don't let my toys ever sit a day after having fun without cleaning them so that should be no issue.

I'm going to wrap it for sure now that I know, but as far as the flat black goes I don't ever get any scum build up on my boat I clean mine a lot I'm a freak about details, and don't let my toys ever sit a day after having fun without cleaning them so that should be no issue.

Post up some pictures when your all done, I'd like to see what you come up with :thumbup: