Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002-2004 VLX vs 2003 MB sports B52v

Hey guys, I am pretty much set on those years VLX but I just wanted to see if anyone has an opinion on the B52. Saw one that looked sick. I'm not a great rider but it is what I primarily use the boat for. I would guess 80/20 split wake/surf with the occasional kiddie doing the tube thing. Has anyone riden behind one, any impressions. There are not many out here so I like the idea of being unique and I do pretty much all my work myself so having dealer support isn't really that big of an issue so long as I can get parts shipped.

Thanks guys

Ryan

Hey guys, I am pretty much set on those years VLX but I just wanted to see if anyone has an opinion on the B52. Saw one that looked sick. I'm not a great rider but it is what I primarily use the boat for. I would guess 80/20 split wake/surf with the occasional kiddie doing the tube thing. Has anyone riden behind one, any impressions. There are not many out here so I like the idea of being unique and I do pretty much all my work myself so having dealer support isn't really that big of an issue so long as I can get parts shipped.

Thanks guys

Ryan

Tubing? Get the B52 Crazy.gif

Sorry I had to, and no I have no useful information for this thread.

Well, i can add a little bit but it's not exactly what you want. I've ridden a 220V from MB which was the same hull as the B52V. The one I rode was a 2008 so I'm not sure if there were any changes from 03 - 08 honestly. The wakeboarding wake was decent with 1800 lbs and some lead in the nose, definitely better than average but not like my Team Widebody. the surfing wake is excellent however. Very easy to dial in with some weight and stock ballast. The MB's do need weight in the nose though.

I used to have a VLX as well but never added any extra weight to it and was a little less informed about wake quality when I owned it. Also, my VLX was an 05 which I know is different. However the wake with stock ballast was pretty good but mine had a smaller stock ballast system (no nose tank). I hadn't tried surfing when I owned it so i can't comment on that. Either way you are getting a good boat I'd think. if prices were the same and you only plan on keeping for a few years I might be inclined to go with the VLX for ease of resale as it's obviously a better known brand name.

I don't know any one personally, but theres a couple of B-52 that I see regularly at my lake, they look pretty nice inside and out. I haven't heard much about the 2 speed tranny, it would be interesting to know how thats working out.

I have an 04 VLX and have been very happy with it, since delivery in Sept.04. I had to change out the heater core a couple years ago after I found a small leak, also had a small leak on an aluminum EXT exhaust water jacket plug that I JB welded a couple years ago, I keep an eye on my fix, worse case I'll take the manifolds to my buddies Hot Rod shop and have them welded up for a 12 pack.

other then that, My boat is the most reliable out of my groups 3 Centurion's 1 Nautique 1 Supreme and 2 Calabrias.

My Nautique Buddie almost bought My boat in 2005 instead he went with a 2003 210 team, very nice but he wishes he'd bought mine.

I wanted to add, I towed My buddies Enzo last time I was at the lake, forgot to get a pictureDoh.gif It was a kill/lanyard issue.

Edited by bigD

Just to give you an idea of how much we tube, i don't even own one. If someone has children and wants to bring their own, then I will do it on a busy sunday. Once so far this year. I will probably go with the vlx, I think it will be the best fit. Now i just have to find one.

Remember the 05 - 08 Vride is the same boat as the 02 - 04 VLX. A few things were upgraded like the higher horsepower engines, Gorilla fins, etc. Might help in your search.

Good luck & have fun with it. :rockon:

02-04 VLX or the 05-08 V-Ride for sure!! :rockon: I have an 04 VLX

I've ridden behind most VLXs from 02-10 and I still like the wake on the year you are looking for the best. Like BigD said, we also have a group of 3 Nautiques, 2 X-Stars, and several Malibus and mine has been one of the most reliable and desired boats to be pulled with. You won't be disappointed.

It really depends on the boats. I have a loaded 05 Vride. And have 2 neighbors, one has a basic 08 Vride & the other has a basic 03 VLX. Of the 3 boats, the only thing the VLX has is a nicer steering wheel than mine. And the 08 Vride has it too. But the 05 still has all the other bling, including the SS rub rail. Ballast is the same on all 3. I have a newer Monsoon, the 08 has an LCR, but none are lacking power. The 08 has a floating Wedge, the 05 & 03 are the old design. So it just depends on how the boat was built.

Nice VLX in that ad. Very original color scheme. Great tower. Good price. A lot of people believe that you absolutely need the bow tank in the 05 - 08 VLX... which that boat appears to have. One thing that stands out is that it has the old Wedge..... if that matters to you. Some people don't care for it anyway.

Wow, that's a good deal for that boat.

I'd take an 05 VLX over the others, feels like a much bigger boat than the older VLX's or V-rides

Edited by 99response

do you like the 04 better than the 05 on. I just found this and may be willing to travel. http://www.onlyinboa....aspx?ID=819128

I went and looked at this boat at LSM/Orlando. Spoke with Dave Lewis - Salesguy. First - the boat sold, and was being delivered the day I looked at it a couple weeks ago. Second - the interior was in *very* tough shape. It needed completely new skins. Dave metioned that there may have been some willingness on the part of the owner (consignment boat) to replace the skins. Could not get a clear answer if it would be malibu GT skins or copycats. The plastic was dull, rough and faded, carpet was heavily used. The engine was high-hour in my opinion, but may have lots of life left??? This boat had serious city miles. Made me feel very good about the deal I just got......

.......The engine was high-hour in my opinion, but may have lots of life left???

550 hrs on a 5 yr old boat is high? I would think in a state like Florida, where you can use your boat year round, that 110 hrs / yr is not that bad. I put 100+ hrs on mine & can only use it 7 or 8 months of the year. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

550 hrs on a 5 yr old boat is high? I would think in a state like Florida, where you can use your boat year round, that 110 hrs / yr is not that bad. I put 100+ hrs on mine & can only use it 7 or 8 months of the year. :Doh:

+1 I have 115 hours on my boat and its 5 months old.

I also ride behind an 04 VLX weekly. The wake is very easy to manage - I would not hesitate purchasing that boat.

Edited by elc

Good point - Thinking about the math - - 5-years old, 100 or so hours per year - - not that bad.

The interior of the boat - wow, different story. Vinyl - Gone, Metal/chrome/billet - corroded everywhere. Plastic - faded/chalky. It looked and felt like a rental boat. It's a well-built boat, and maybe perfect mechanically (though I always wonder if you are not even going to cover it, are you really doing all of the other maintencance??) - perhaps with some TLC, new skins, a wet-sand, and new metal and dash, you may have a real nice boat. My point was I just picked-up a 2004 VLX (granted a year older, and I believe an older generation hull) that is mint, much less than half the hours - shiny, waxed, and vinyl like new for MUCH less than this 2005 VLX. They told me at the dealer that it sold for very close to asking price (but who knows....)

I'm pretty partial to the 02-04 VLX and 05-08 V-rides. 2005 is when Malibu changed the hull design and made the VLX a few inches wider and added the bow ballast along with a few other tweaks. Those subtle changes didn't make me want to run out and get a new boat. I like the way mine tows fully loaded with gear, I love the way it fits into my garage (door is 107", boat on trailer is 99"), and I love the wake.

To me, it seems like you need to add a substantial amount of additional weight to get a good wake out of the 05 and up VLXs, granted the boat is bigger. There are a few exceptions though, one of our crew has a 07 VLX that I love to ride behind too.

As for the 05 you're looking at... It appears that some of the time it spent in the water was in a salty environment. Maybe not total salt immersion, but enough exposure to corrode the chrome plating on the remote bracket and steering wheel, also on the Monsoon badge in the engine compartment. Aside from that it "looks" like a solid boat from the pics, but those will never substitute for an inspection in person.

You're welcome to look me up when in the Atlanta area and I'll gladly give you a pull behind my VLX. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the info guys especially about that interior. It looks ok from the pictures and I though the dingyness may have been an optical illusion. I may just keep my costs low and go with an older one that I know hasn't seen saltwater. I figured something has to be wrong with it to be an 05 at that price. I didn't really care about the hours. with the right maint, the boat should last much longer than that. My search continues

JBuck, I actually flew through atlanta twice this year but didn't have more than a few hours. Too bad I couldn't have made it a day and take a set or two or three...

Also, i know about the spec page, but what were the changes from 2000-2004. I know the hull was the same but were the options any different.

Thanks for all the info guys especially about that interior. It looks ok from the pictures and I though the dingyness may have been an optical illusion. I may just keep my costs low and go with an older one that I know hasn't seen saltwater. I figured something has to be wrong with it to be an 05 at that price. I didn't really care about the hours. with the right maint, the boat should last much longer than that. My search continues

JBuck, I actually flew through atlanta twice this year but didn't have more than a few hours. Too bad I couldn't have made it a day and take a set or two or three...

Also, i know about the spec page, but what were the changes from 2000-2004. I know the hull was the same but were the options any different.

Hang in there - If you are willing to travel, then check Craigslist, onlyinboards.com, and all the inboard dealers in the northern climes - New England, PA, NY, Ohio, Michigan, etc. I have always found that many people want to use their boat for the summer, and then dump it in the fall before winterizing and storage. Northern boats (in my opinion - coming from New England and now living in FL) are lower hour (limited season), and don't have the sun fading/damage as much.

You should be able to get a realy nice, low-hour 2004 VLX for $30k or under. Just don't send a Western Union money order for $4,800 for the 2010 Wakesetter VLX with a $12,000 stereo and all the bling that's always in every Craigslist city ;-)

Let's see.

From 2000-2002, the Monsoon was a 325hp, 2003 it was a 335hp & in 2004 it was a 340hp.

In 2004, the boat got Gorilla Fins & thicker vinyl.

Dashes are different - 2000 was its own, 2001-2002 were the same, then 2003-2004 were the same.

OEM tower options were different.

Stereo options changed through those years as well.

Let's see.

From 2000-2002, the Monsoon was a 325hp, 2003 it was a 335hp & in 2004 it was a 340hp.

In 2004, the boat got Gorilla Fins & thicker vinyl.

Dashes are different - 2000 was its own, 2001-2002 were the same, then 2003-2004 were the same.

OEM tower options were different.

Stereo options changed through those years as well.

Spot on!! The only other thing that is worth mentioning is the wrap around seating from 02 to 03-04 made the turn to right up behind the driver's seat.

The biggest improvement has already been noted... the Gorilla fins made a world of difference in 04. :biggrin: Thanks WG for reminding me of the many reasons I LOVE my boat!

From what I've seen, there does seem to be a bit of a jump in resale value between the '03 & '04 models vs. value differences between '01-'02 & '02-'03. I think that the Gorilla Fins are the single biggest factor on that count.

Good catch on the seating, I'd forgotten about that one.

hmm, yeah. I was definitely thinking 04 then. Although I did just find this one at the same dealer. Don't really need the 23 but if it's in good shape, why not. I have the room for it and let's face it, I can always throw more sacks in. http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/2004-MALIBU-Wakesetter+23+LSV-97004637/?zmc=stf

hmm, yeah. I was definitely thinking 04 then. Although I did just find this one at the same dealer. Don't really need the 23 but if it's in good shape, why not. I have the room for it and let's face it, I can always throw more sacks in. http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/2004-MALIBU-Wakesetter+23+LSV-97004637/?zmc=stf

THAT looks like a nice boat and nice deal for a 23 - and only 220 hours. Bet it won't last long. You should give Dave Lewis a call. Nice guy.

THAT looks like a nice boat and nice deal for a 23 - and only 220 hours. Bet it won't last long. You should give Dave Lewis a call. Nice guy.

You might want to ask if there is damage on the port side above hhe chine. Maybe just bad pics, but looks like there is something going on there. I now remember seeing this ad quite a while back, but don't remember seeing the boat on the lot, so it may be gone already.

Salt boat big time! The mark you see on the port side above the chine is where the hull has been painted for salt use.

If it were me, I'd stay way away from that one, but it is a good price for a 23.