Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Troubleshooting

Hello. Last weekend I was driving across the lake at constant speeds when my 2000 Malibu Sunsetter VLX would lose power for a few seconds. It would then regain it's power, operate normally for a few minutes, and then repeat the problem. The engine would not physically shut down but lose power and the red light next to the throttle would beep. I also noticed the engine temperature and oil pressure were good and operating within their required ranges. Could this possibly be the symptoms of a bad impeller? I ask this because i recently hooked up a fake a lake to the boat to diagnose the problem and had no water coming out of the exhaust. I'm thinking the impeller is bad and not pumping the water into the transmission cooler. Not to mention the engine is now heating up. Hmmm, maybe i even have multiple issues???

I would say you have two separate problems.

1. Power loss could be a clogged fuel filter.

2. Yes, change the impeller it you're running hot. When you had no water flow with the fake lake you may not have had it installed properly. If you put the fake lake on too tight or at the wrong angle you can easily block your own water flow.

2. Yes, change the impeller it you're running hot. When you had no water flow with the fake lake you may not have had it installed properly. If you put the fake lake on too tight or at the wrong angle you can easily block your own water flow.

replace the impeller, spark plugs, cap/roter , 3 maintenance repairs that should probably be done anyway, and could solve your problem

So my impeller was toast and thinking this may have been the problem. What's confusing is I never noticed my engine heating up when i was out on the lake but only when i hooked up the fake a lake. If it did heat up when i was out on the water it's temperature dropped right back down without me noticing. The engine cut our numerous times for just a few seconds and not once did I notice the temperature go above 160. As for the fuel filters - the one next to the engine is perfect but haven't checked the one on the engine. I threw a pressure gauge on the fuel pump and had a consistent pressure of about 36 Lbs at 2000 RPM which leads me to believe it's getting fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find all of your trashed impeller? If not you better make sure the tranny cooler is clean.

I did thanks. Pulled out all of the pieces from the raw pump to the tranny cooler. The boat is running great now.

Why mess around? Change your impeller and all fuel filters. How can you tell your filter is perfect?

I probably shouldn't have said perfect. I blew through it and it was very clean. I changed the impeller and fuel filters and the boat seems to be running great now. Thanks for your input.

I did thanks. Pulled out all of the pieces from the raw pump to the tranny cooler. The boat is running great now.

I just posted on this topic before coming accross this one. My impeller is toast and the pieces are not in the impeller housing. Where did you find all the pieces at. I see the large tube going from the impeller housing, but not sure what you mean by "pulled out all the pieces from the raw pump to the tranny cooler" Can you explain this a little bit so I know what to clean out? Thanks. Dan

I just posted on this topic before coming accross this one. My impeller is toast and the pieces are not in the impeller housing. Where did you find all the pieces at. I see the large tube going from the impeller housing, but not sure what you mean by "pulled out all the pieces from the raw pump to the tranny cooler" Can you explain this a little bit so I know what to clean out? Thanks. Dan

the hose that carries water out from the impeller housing connects to the transmission cooler.

cylindrical shape w 2 (entry/exit) transmission hoses and 2 (entry/exit) water hoses.

the water input side of the trans cooler can catch large trash (seaweed, impeller pieces).

before wrenching realize that the trans cooler is not very hearty. it's easy to crush the cooler if you over-tighten the coolant hose clamps.

pull the coolant hose that connects to the raw water pump (it has the impeller) from the trans cooler.

dig all the trash out from trans cooler (feels honeycombed inside).