Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Classic Bu!

martinarcher

Why not tab it into the outside wall of that compartment? Peel the carpet back, fiberglass in two small strips of plastic, pull the carpet back over and then screw the amp to the plastic strips (or whatever you use) with 1/2 inch screws. It'll look like a stock mounting pad. I guess that's for the mods section. The water pics look cool! How'd the wakesetter platform fare?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• rugger

• Bill_AirJunky

• old skool malibu

martinarcher

Why not tab it into the outside wall of that compartment? Peel the carpet back, fiberglass in two small strips of plastic, pull the carpet back over and then screw the amp to the plastic strips (or whatever you use) with 1/2 inch screws. It'll look like a stock mounting pad. I guess that's for the mods section. The water pics look cool! How'd the wakesetter platform fare?

Do you mean to mount the amp in the walkway or on the inside of the observers compartment? I had thought about letting the sub fire into the walkway and have the cabin either under the drivers footwell or in the observers compartment. I'm realizing quickly that the observers compartment is a nice big spot to store gear and so I'm struggling to convince myself to take half of it with a sub cab. LOL.gif

Hey this is a classic Bu thread. Your right on topic. Thumbup.gif

The wakesetter platform works like a champ. Not sure what's on it but it is a bit slippery when wet, but man does it look good. Is there varnish on top of the oil?

Here's a pic from yesterday....

IMG_8467.jpg

Many more here....

http://s497.photobuc...r24/2010%20WOW/

Edited by martinarcher

MA -- just teak oil on the new platform. Glad the wedge door worked well -- never go to use it!

I was referring to placing the amp on the outside wall of that passenger compartment. Check out the battery switch in the rear. There's a small piece of composite glassed to the inside of the hull, so you can screw something to it. Pull the carpet back over it and it looks stock. I was just trying to help your problem of shoving 3 amps in there. I'd think that would still give you plenty of storage room.

The sub is a toss-up. I'm not a big audio guy in the boat so I shouldn't give advice (my house/home theater is a different story :) ), but I always planned on putting the sub in that compartment too, facing the walkthrough since it's non directional, and putting the 6x9 that's there now under the drivers foot well facing you like some boats have. I don't know how big the sub box would have to be though.

I know the stereo guys are gonna cringe, but I saw Sony Xplod 12" in box for $100 at Best Buy the other day. I have one in my pass storage with plenty of room left for storage.

Hello All!!

I guess it is time to formally announce that I am the proud owner of the legendary martinarcher 1988 Malibu Skier. It was great to get a chance to meet MA and his crew. If it wasn't for the rain, I would have loved to stay longer and meet the rest that attended WOW on the East Coast....NEXT YEAR!!! Rockon.gif

I do have to say, pictures alone, can't describe this boat. MA did a great job with all of his modifications and was quite lucky having this boat fall into his lap. It truely is the cleanest 88 Skier that I have ever seen. The red/white/black/grey combo shines as if it was still on the showroom. I can't count the amount of head turns this boat received. I feel bad for the old pickup even more now because it shouldn't be pulling this boat (Gotta love the ole farm trucks). I am truely impressed with martinarcher and what he did to this boat. I think he might be the only ever PO that I have trusted and felt comfortable not nit picking prior to taking ownership. All the props in the world should go out to him becasue he knows his stuff

Like some of the previous posts said, we got caught in one heck of a rain shower. We got to boat back on the trailer, cleaned it up and put the evolution cover on it. To those thinking about buying this type of cover.....DO IT!! Almost the whole 3 hour trip back home, it rained. This cover allowed me to keep on trucking without seeking shelter.....for the boat.

I don't really need to describe this boat. If you are a crew member, you have seen it, heard about it, and watched it receive many modern day modifications. The tower, stereo, ballast, and over TLC received nothing but the best.... I really don't have many plans to do anything more to this boat. I had it out about 2-3 hours yesterday and enjoyed every bit of it. I don't think there was a boat that went by that didn't point or stare. I had to answer lots of questions.... This 1988 Skier is an example in itself as to why it is important to take care of your boat

I'm glad to be able to keep it in the "crew family". Rest assured martinarcher that this boat will be the garage queen over in Ohio too... I have already received the "your ridiculus" from the fiance.

Some pics will come.... look above at the side by side pics of the Skier and the Sunsetter... GREAT LOOKING CLASSICS!!! Rockon.gif

post-13317-128260877827_thumb.jpg

Edited by skier_88

Hello All!!

I guess it is time to formally announce that I am the proud owner of the legendary martinarcher 1988 Malibu Skier. It was great to get a chance to meet MA and his crew. If it wasn't for the rain, I would have loved to stay longer and meet the rest that attended WOW on the East Coast....NEXT YEAR!!! :rockon:

I do have to say, pictures alone, can't describe this boat. MA did a great job with all of his modifications and was quite lucky having this boat fall into his lap. It truely is the cleanest 88 Skier that I have ever seen. The red/white/black/grey combo shines as if it was still on the showroom. I can't count the amount of head turns this boat received. I feel bad for the old pickup even more now because it shouldn't be pulling this boat (Gotta love the ole farm trucks). I am truely impressed with martinarcher and what he did to this boat. I think he might be the only ever PO that I have trusted and felt comfortable not nit picking prior to taking ownership. All the props in the world should go out to him becasue he knows his stuff

Like some of the previous posts said, we got caught in one heck of a rain shower. We got to boat back on the trailer, cleaned it up and put the evolution cover on it. To those thinking about buying this type of cover.....DO IT!! Almost the whole 3 hour trip back home, it rained. This cover allowed me to keep on trucking without seeking shelter.....for the boat.

I don't really need to describe this boat. If you are a crew member, you have seen it, heard about it, and watched it receive many modern day modifications. The tower, stereo, ballast, and over TLC received nothing but the best.... I really don't have many plans to do anything more to this boat. I had it out about 2-3 hours yesterday and enjoyed every bit of it. I don't think there was a boat that went by that didn't point or stare. I had to answer lots of questions.... This 1988 Skier is an example in itself as to why it is important to take care of your boat

I'm glad to be able to keep it in the "crew family". Rest assured martinarcher that this boat will be the garage queen over in Ohio too... I have already received the "your ridiculus" from the fiance

Had to wonder about that when you asked for a name change. :lol: Congrats to all. This is definitely a feel-good story if I ever saw one. Rugger just needs to complete the circle now & go get Chatham's LSV.

Nice shots of the two boats together!

But I gotta ask..... is no one but the driver allowed to sit behind the windshield of the Sunsetter?? Everyone wants to sit in the bow?? :crazy:

But I gotta ask..... is no one but the driver allowed to sit behind the windshield of the Sunsetter?? Everyone wants to sit in the bow?? :crazy:

We came from a closed bow into an open bow and I remember, initially, everyone wanted to sit in the bow too. Something about having all that wind in your face. :thumbup:

Had to wonder about that when you asked for a name change. :lol: Congrats to all. This is definitely a feel-good story if I ever saw one. Rugger just needs to complete the circle now & go get Chatham's LSV.

WakeGirl... I don't know it but if it's an LSV I'm in. But for the good of the Crew and this thread -- you should demand he gives me a stellar deal. C'mon, it's for the site. :)

So I just spent about an hour in the garage looking through the boat and going over a few of the mods that martinarcher made. Fabulous job on the Skier and glad it is in my garage now Rockon.gif Truely an amazing boat. Good Luck with your new classic....I'll definitely be taking care of this one Yahoo.gif

martinarcher

Great pics. Does the Sunsetter drive different than the Skier?

You can tell the difference, but the Sunsetter still drives like a DD. Rockon.gif As far as jumping out of the water and slalom starts....the Sunsetter can't touch the Skier. It only weighs 2300 lbs. Thumbup.gif

martinarcher

The reason the girls were in the boat was because we started with the camera boat behind us and i wanted them up front to get a better shot of the boat. Once we turned around at the no wake zone, I couldn't get them to head back to the back. Unsure.gif Oh well. I guess it keeps the bow down. LOL.gif

martinarcher

Hello All!!

I guess it is time to formally announce that I am the proud owner of the legendary martinarcher 1988 Malibu Skier. It was great to get a chance to meet MA and his crew. If it wasn't for the rain, I would have loved to stay longer and meet the rest that attended WOW on the East Coast....NEXT YEAR!!! Rockon.gif

I'm glad to be able to keep it in the "crew family". Rest assured martinarcher that this boat will be the garage queen over in Ohio too... I have already received the "your ridiculus" from the fiance.

Some pics will come.... look above at the side by side pics of the Skier and the Sunsetter... GREAT LOOKING CLASSICS!!! Rockon.gif

post-13317-128260877827_thumb.jpg

I'm happy to hear you love the boat! It will certainly be missed. Cry.gif I knew after looking at the radar Sat afternoon after you left you would be loving the Evolution cover when you got home. They rock. Rockon.gif

Looks good in the driveway! I'm glad to hear she's got a new garage to be queen of! Rockon.gif

martinarcher

Can you put up a shot of the back of the engine covers on both?

I am trying to get an idea for what was back there on my 93 Sunsetter.

Like the placement of the Sunsetter logo and the malibu's on the side, same idea and placement as my boat!

Finally got around to taking a pic of the back of the engine cover. We'll have to get Skier_88 to get one of the Skier for comparison. Here's the Setter's...

post-7666-128279398893_thumb.jpg

Edited by martinarcher
martinarcher

Finally got around to taking a pic of the back of the engine cover. We'll have to get Skier_88 to get one of the Skier for comparison. Here's the Setter's...

This one's got a decent shot of it....

post-7666-128279413812_thumb.jpg