Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Classic Bu!

martinarcher

martinarcher

Hey all!

Well I met the shipper in the local mall parking lot last night and took delivery of my new Malibu! Yahoo.gif

It's Rugger's old 1987 Sunsetter. I have to start by saying he did a wonderful job and should immediately quit his job and start rebuilding boats! Rockon.gif You are the man!

Going over a boat after knowing it has come 3000 miles and I can't exactly decide I don't want it was a bit nerve racking, but I can tell he's a lot like me.....very particular about his boat. There was nothing to worry about at all. Everything is very well done and the fit and finish of the new interior is amazing. Nice job Chee. The hull is nice and shiny after the wet sanding. It has a few dings like you would expect from a 23 year old hull, but overall is a 9.5 out of 10. My Skier hull and the Setter are about in identical "shape". The floor looks great and is as solid as the Skier's composite floor. The new "Chrome Dip" Malibu logo's on the boat really set it off nicely. My wife immediatly headed for the bow and parked herself in the front seat in the "lounge" position and called dibs on the bow. LOL.gif The wedge looks absolutely amazing. Rugger has been much too humble in his rebuild thread and wedge thread. This thing looks as nice or nicer than any Malibu wedge I have seen. It is totally overbuilt and as an Engineer I can say it is exactly how I would have liked to see it designed especially the way the inner bracket ties into the stringers. The fit and finish it awesome and it deploys and raises very easily.

For the rest of the week I'll have twins. The new owner of the Skier is taking delivery on Sat! Rockon.gif I will certainly miss my Skier, but am thrilled with the new boat. I can't wait to get the paperwork finished and get it on the water!

Here's a few pics I took last night. They aren't the greatest as I was fighting a setting sun, but you can get a peek....

DSC04152.jpg

DSC04149.jpg

DSC04164.jpg

DSC04154.jpg

DSC04155.jpg

DSC04156.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• rugger

• Bill_AirJunky

• old skool malibu

Can you put up a shot of the back of the engine covers on both?

I am trying to get an idea for what was back there on my 93 Sunsetter.

Like the placement of the Sunsetter logo and the malibu's on the side, same idea and placement as my boat!

martinarcher

Thanks all! I'll glady take the title of Pres of the Square Windshield Club. Good stuff. If you can't already tell, I have a soft spot for the Bu classics! Thumbup.gif

kengrutza - I'll take some more pics of the interior tonight for you. I was messing with boats last night until 2 AM and just took quick pics.

bretski75 - The red/white color scheme is certainly my favorite so yeah that was a large deciding factor, but the biggest part was this boat found me. I've talked with Rugger over the last couple years. We both love the classics and certainly can talk for quite a while about them. I told him if he ever sold I wanted first dibs! Rockon.gif

MDude - I'll certainly send them some. I'm going to try to get pics on the water with both of them this weekend. Should be cool to have them floating side by side. I'd love to see a "paired" pic in the calender next year. My buddy will have his 40D so we'll sty to get some good pics for sure. Clap.gif

Thanks again all for the kind comments. I'm so excited today it's been hard to concentrate at work! Crazy.gif

martinarcher

AND!!! it fits in the garage :thumbup:

By 1 inch with the platform off and the wedge down. LOL.gif Whew!

I realized it is impossible to swing the tongue on a tandem trailer in the garage! So much for parking it diagonally with the platform on. LOL.gif

About 90% done with mine. Im building a diy flat bimini and have a light bar on its way for night boarding. Nice to see some older boats being kept up. Nice boat man. Jet

Hey! Brothers! Very nice, MA! :rockon:

Lookin forward to seeing the future calendar pics you come up with!

So how much of the old boat accessories are you keeping? The TMC transom pad? Tower speakers? Tower?? :crazy:

Thanks all! I'll glady take the title of Pres of the Square Windshield Club. Good stuff. If you can't already tell, I have a soft spot for the Bu classics! Thumbup.gif

kengrutza - I'll take some more pics of the interior tonight for you. I was messing with boats last night until 2 AM and just took quick pics.

bretski75 - The red/white color scheme is certainly my favorite so yeah that was a large deciding factor, but the biggest part was this boat found me. I've talked with Rugger over the last couple years. We both love the classics and certainly can talk for quite a while about them. I told him if he ever sold I wanted first dibs! :rockon:

MDude - I'll certainly send them some. I'm going to try to get pics on the water with both of them this weekend. Should be cool to have them floating side by side. I'd love to see a "paired" pic in the calender next year. My buddy will have his 40D so we'll sty to get some good pics for sure. Clap.gif

Thanks again all for the kind comments. I'm so excited today it's been hard to concentrate at work! Crazy.gif

Great that 40D will give some great high quality images.... Oh post up some wake pics w/ the wedge as well.... :rockon:

Absolutely beautiful! Sunsetter FTW!

...is that a SR20DET powered car sitting in the drive? Looks like a G20/Sentra. Ridiculous turbo cars are my first love. SR20DET FTW :biggrin:

Edited by stroker-ace
martinarcher

Hey! Brothers! Very nice, MA! :rockon:

Lookin forward to seeing the future calendar pics you come up with!

So how much of the old boat accessories are you keeping? The TMC transom pad? Tower speakers? Tower?? :crazy:

Yeah yeah....rub it in. LOL.gif The Monster Tower is the only thing about the boat I'm not super happy with. Losing the Titan really sucks. The Monster is a bit of a pain to fold and I know once the Wetsounds and 4 board racks are on it it will NOT be a one man operation. I'm just hoping it is decently solid. Rugger was pretty happy with it so I'm hopeful it will be good. I'm not going to drill any holes in the boat for tower speakers just yet. I'm going to run ghetto wiring up the outside of the tower until it proves itself. If I end up throwing a Titan up there later I would love to find a TIII. Rockon.gif

Those two things look great together, I had 3 bu's in the driveway for about a week and half a 01 VLX, a 99 Sunsetter LX and a 96 Response....man my parents were not thrilled.

-Chris

bretski75 - The red/white color scheme is certainly my favorite so yeah that was a large deciding factor, but the biggest part was this boat found me. I've talked with Rugger over the last couple years. We both love the classics and certainly can talk for quite a while about them. I told him if he ever sold I wanted first dibs! Rockon.gif

We'll get some pretty awesome pics!! These boats look amazing side by side. :rockon: Who would ever buy new after seeing these classics :biggrin:

martin,

i can't believe Rugger sold his after all that work?!

Rugger had one of the nicest (photo-documented) restoration projects I have seen for the older sunsetters.

what did he buy to replace?

that wedge on the older sunsetter is a real head turner -holy crap!

those two older boats look great next to each other.

i sold my '89 (in very nice shape) to a guy in Bozeman, MT, memorial day weekend and he's put 150 hours on it since then! He loves it!

take care and enjoy the sunsetter!

espn is saying favre is coming back....gotta run!

CR