Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blazer tow for 23LSV?

wakeboarder3780

Thanks tyger. I agree with going with facts and the numbers you laid out are true (actually I thought the blazer was rated at 5k lbs, so if it's 5900 thats new to me :whistle: )

Anyhoo, I do think I'm going to go with the suburban in the end solely for the fact that one other guy has confirmed what I have found with my current sunsetter - it gets a little squirrely sometimes. Basically, if you have to stop for a yellow light, you aren't going to for sure be able to stop even if you're a reasonable ways away from the light.

I've actually already had one incident where I ended up 2' into the intersection because I couldn't stop in time. It was downright frightening.

I think if I already had the boat home I'd be more willing to try the blazer out. But since I'm probably going to be driving across the country to get the LSV (probably over a thousand miles one way) I think I'm willing to wait a couple extra months on the LSV to guarantee my new baby doesn't end up crunching my tow vehicle (or worse ends up getting smashed itself) and possibly causing an accident.

Thanks all for the input but I think I've finally got enough info to feel fine upgrading to a suburban. (plus then i can fit full sheets of plywood in the back :) )

Yes the 1500 will be fine. If you were doing that 1.5 hr trip regularly than you'd probably want something bigger. For regular 5 mile outtings and the odd 1.5 hr trip the 1500 will do just fine.

BTW Trailers are usually around 1200 lbs and your equipment and gear/gas will probably start at 1k. Either way your well within the saftey of the vehicle.

Agree with Tricky. I usually tow with a tahoe - short trips to our local lake (10 miles) the 5.3 is great. I have absolutely no problems. On long trips (250 miles each way) with steep grades and hot temps (100+) the tahoe trans temp gets hot every time - even with a larger cooler.

Thanks tyger. I agree with going with facts and the numbers you laid out are true (actually I thought the blazer was rated at 5k lbs, so if it's 5900 thats new to me :whistle: )

Anyhoo, I do think I'm going to go with the suburban in the end solely for the fact that one other guy has confirmed what I have found with my current sunsetter - it gets a little squirrely sometimes. Basically, if you have to stop for a yellow light, you aren't going to for sure be able to stop even if you're a reasonable ways away from the light.

I've actually already had one incident where I ended up 2' into the intersection because I couldn't stop in time. It was downright frightening.

I think if I already had the boat home I'd be more willing to try the blazer out. But since I'm probably going to be driving across the country to get the LSV (probably over a thousand miles one way) I think I'm willing to wait a couple extra months on the LSV to guarantee my new baby doesn't end up crunching my tow vehicle (or worse ends up getting smashed itself) and possibly causing an accident.

Thanks all for the input but I think I've finally got enough info to feel fine upgrading to a suburban. (plus then i can fit full sheets of plywood in the back :) )

Be sure to check that number though....do all Blazers have 5900# tow capacity or just the ones with the tow package? Make sure you verify the tow capacity on YOUR vehicle. Example: Almost 2000# difference on my Nissan with tow vs the same truck w/o tow. Final drive ratio has a lot to do with it as well as other factors. So don't just go out and assume yours can tow 5900#.

2-3 times a year we load the whole family up and tow about 4 hours. My Dakota with 6000# was doing the job, but not as safe as I would have liked. I was also warping the rotors frequently......this is why I went out and bought a better tow vehicle.

I do not agree that a lighter SUV will tow better than a heavier truck. There is not that much weight difference over the rear axle and it doesn't matter that much especially if you load your truck with gear.

No worries guys I just got an 02 suburban 1500 all lined up. I'll be driving it home from Maryland this Saturday. It will be quite the haul but we *should* make it back Sunday night. Perhaps I'll post up some pics and show you what you all helped us buy!

:clap::yahoo::thumbup:

Edited by wakeboarder3780

No worries guys I just got an 02 suburban 1500 all lined up. I'll be driving it home from Maryland this Saturday. It will be quite the haul but we *should* make it back Sunday night. Perhaps I'll post up some pics and show you what you all helped us buy!

Maryland? Dang, that is a haul. Too bad it's not in Washington, I hear there's a great deal on a '95 Sunsetter out there, even though it's not a vdrive. :lol:

sweet, youll be better off

check it out :thankyou:

burb1.jpg

burb2.jpg

The only thing I didn't realize is it didn't have power windows. I didn't even know they made vehicles without them anymore. But I got over it because we got a good deal on it.

I tried it out towing as soon as we got back, and it's a night and day difference. I can hardly even feel the boat behind me when I accelerate and I feel like I'm actually in control of stopping now. I bet I nearly halved my stopping distance. :surprised:

Maybe I'll sneak in one more question. I currently have a ball hitch that says 5000 lbs on it. Does that mean it can only support 5k on the tongue? Or you can only tow 5k?

I may need to buy a "stronger" hitch. I did some product searching and didn't find much. Maybe let me know what you guys use since some people here have LSVs?

You should have a class 3 hitch on your Suburban I forget the ratings but you have no worries with that boat and trailer. The 5000 lb ball is the weight that you can haul on that ball. You may have a hard time finding a 6000 lb ball in 2 inch.

I'm definitely OK upgrading but now you guys are starting to worry me a bit. I've had 2 votes leaning towards getting the Suburban 2500 (3/4 ton) and no one has said the 1/2 ton (1500) would be alright.

I have a confession, I was definitely planning on getting a 1500 suburban. Is that seriously not going to be enough either? Longest trip I'll be making on a yearly basis is 1.5 hour trip and I don't live in the mountains or anything. I've gotta believe that with an 8400 tow rating in the 1/2 ton (1500) coupled with trailer brakes that I should be fine right? I mean the boat itself weighs 4k, the trailer can't weigh more than 2k, throw in some gear lets just be conservative and say 1k lbs of gear thats still 7k - 1400lbs under the tow max of the 1500.

That being said I know you guys are trying to get me the bigger safest vehicle, but the 1500 would also work fine right?

I have a 99 1/2 ton suburban and it tows my 23 XTI just fine. It bogs on long climbs but it is definitely an adequate tow vehicle. I'll always own a suburban, they are great vehicles.

Edit: OOps, I see you already bought the burb!

Edited by Molarbu

You should have a class 3 hitch on your Suburban I forget the ratings but you have no worries with that boat and trailer. The 5000 lb ball is the weight that you can haul on that ball. You may have a hard time finding a 6000 lb ball in 2 inch.

They are out there though, just look around. I own one.

when the time comes I think I'll get the following just in case I forgot to empty ballast or had a bunch of people in the boat when pulling it out of the water:

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Brophy/BM20.html

http://www.etrailer.com/p-AM3662.html

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Hidden%20Hitch/PC3.html

Google product search was a nightmare but it was really easy on e-trailer. Unfortunately the last time I ordered from them they didnt have the items in stock and it took a long time to get it so I'll just order them ahead of time ;)

Edit: Only thing i was nervous about is the hitch pin didn't have a max tow rating on it. I'm guess the pin will support the max towing capacity of a class 3 hitch? Would still be nice to get that warm fuzzy by them saying it supports 10k of towing.